• Thanks 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

@pullstart

Tink. Tink.  Tink. Tink.  Tink. Tink.  

Absolutely!  Well done Mick!

• Like 1

WHX??

Not worried about the way the stack jumps around on the idle Mick? 

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Not worried about the way the stack jumps around on the idle Mick? 

He's got a pretty wicked brace on the lower half. 

• Like 1

Pullstart

Helped finish the install on the boiler / radiant heating system for my FIL today.  The drill pump I use for filling tires did a marvelous job at filling the system with glycol!

354FC970-FE0C-491D-B8B3-247E316D83E8.jpeg

EBF88493-0971-45E4-B46D-C25898784C12.jpeg

• Like 2

tom2p
On 12/11/2020 at 8:56 PM, Handy Don said:

That's the thing about Manhattan and the NYC metro area in general, many times there is no "longer but moving" route.  

I rely on Waze and so far it has done me well (though I'll admit some of its routes have been counter intuitive).  Wednesday it had me get off an expressway and go back the way I came for several miles and then take a different set of roads--probably an eight mile detour plus an extra toll.  Later, stopped at a traffic light, I looked at the original route and saw a crash had blocked the expressway and the backup was a couple of miles long--dodged at least an hour of going nowhere at all.

Waze has worked well for us on road trips

alerted us to speed traps - and one time alerted us to an accident that had traffic stopped (on I-80)

was especially huge for us early this year when we went to Manhattan - much quicker and easier route into Manhattan (upper west side) using the Waze recommended route (via George Washington bridge) instead of our typical route (via Verrazzano bridge)

Edited by tom2p

tom2p

Handy Don - 

Are you in West Chester county ?

We've been there - my kid had a part time job in Scarsdale while he was in school

( he took the train from GCS )

Pullstart

Fixed that broken chair tonight...

4510F884-7CD2-440A-AC2B-E5C27A5B1467.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Handy Don
47 minutes ago, tom2p said:

Handy Don - 

Are you in West Chester county ?

We've been there - my kid had a part time job in Scarsdale while he was in school

( he took the train from GCS )

Yep. I'm on the north west side along the Hudson--Hudson Line train. Scarsdale is in the south central area--Harlem Line. Grand Central Terminal (GCT) is the end (or beginning?) of both. Fussy New Yorkers distinguish between GCT and GCS (Grand Central Station)--the latter is the subway station that serves GCT! Most of us just say "Grand Central" and slide on by! :)

Waze is pretty slick technology that I've really grown accustomed to having.  Would not want to go back to guessing the best routes.

It's been many years since I've been to Pittsburgh and rode the Duquesne. Great fun!

8ntruck

Got stage 1 of our bedroom/bath remodel done.  Ripped the closet and linnen cabinet out of the spare bedroom and moved the door.  Pulled the old, stained ceiling tile down, replaced it with new, and installed new carpet tiles.  Finished upthis several days of work by moving our bedroom furnature into the freshened up room today..

Step 2 will be doing the same thing to the second bedroom.  Step 3 will be moving the bathroom wall a foot, and a complete rearrangement of the bathroom fixtures.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

tom2p
14 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Yep. I'm on the north west side along the Hudson--Hudson Line train. Scarsdale is in the south central area--Harlem Line. Grand Central Terminal (GCT) is the end (or beginning?) of both. Fussy New Yorkers distinguish between GCT and GCS (Grand Central Station)--the latter is the subway station that serves GCT! Most of us just say "Grand Central" and slide on by! :)

Waze is pretty slick technology that I've really grown accustomed to having.  Would not want to go back to guessing the best routes.

It's been many years since I've been to Pittsburgh and rode the Duquesne. Great fun!

the train is nice - big / roomy / quiet ... heckuva lot better than the subway for sure lol

we've also ventured north up the Hudson near Tarrytown etc 

(past the area where new bridge construction)

Hudson river valley and surrounding area is beautiful 

• Excellent 1

Pullstart
7 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Got stage 1 of our bedroom/bath remodel done.  Ripped the closet and linnen cabinet out of the spare bedroom and moved the door.  Pulled the old, stained ceiling tile down, replaced it with new, and installed new carpet tiles.  Finished upthis several days of work by moving our bedroom furnature into the freshened up room today..

Step 2 will be doing the same thing to the second bedroom.  Step 3 will be moving the bathroom wall a foot, and a complete rearrangement of the bathroom fixtures.

hopefully you are faster than I am at these projects Bill!

WHX??
14 hours ago, pullstart said:

Helped finish the install on the boiler / radiant heating system for my FIL today.  The drill pump I use for filling tires did a marvelous job at filling the system with glycol!

354FC970-FE0C-491D-B8B3-247E316D83E8.jpeg

EBF88493-0971-45E4-B46D-C25898784C12.jpeg

Looks good Kev. I use a transfer pump but a drill pump gets better pressure. 

The back flow preventer is supposed to be ahead of the fill valve. Also never install valves upside down.  Supposed to be no more than 45 deg from vertical. They can accumulate crap in the system then not seat causing annoying drips. Be carful of romex connectors on low voltage wiring & don't over tighten. That insulation on the wires is pretty thin. 

Pullstart
1 minute ago, WHX24 said:

Looks good Kev. I use a transfer pump but a drill pump gets better pressure. 

The back flow preventer is supposed to be ahead of the fill valve. Also never install valves upside down.  Supposed to be no more than 45 deg from vertical. They can accumulate crap in the system then not seat causing annoying drips. Be carful of romex connectors on low voltage wiring & don't over tighten. That insulation on the wires is pretty thin. 

Any examples of the backflow preventer and fill valve handy Uncle Jim?  We used the box they came in as a build example.  Luckily we haven’t gotten it completely filled so we can still modify what is needed.

WHX??

These are just the ones I use and come preassembled. Most systems I am going to put glycol in I don't even use them. I have a temporary  fill setup up made for initial filling/purging and fill thru the valve you have your pump connected to using washing machine hoses. Once it's in operation and I'm happy with the final pressures after a couple weeks of operation it comes off and adding glycol or pressure adjustments are made using the drill pump. 

The thing with those valves is they are only used once and then corrode up and are useless down the road. The idea behind the backflow in front of the pressure reducing valve is the PR valve might not have enough pressure to overcome a stuck backflow valve. When you don't even use one there is zero chance of anti freeze backing up into potable water. There should always be a shutoff on BOTH sides of the combination valve in case it needs replacing. 

20201214_070330[1].jpg

• Thanks 1

8ntruck
5 hours ago, pullstart said:

hopefully you are faster than I am at these projects Bill!

I was thinking about your bathroom project as I was writing that. 

Hopefully, phase 2 will get done in the next couple of weeks.  The actual bathroom work won't get started until next spring 'cause the lake house has been winterized.  The plan there is to use the lake house while the bathroom gets remodeled here - it's not a long commute, as the lake house is across the street.

• Like 2

Lee1977
14 hours ago, pullstart said:

Fixed that broken chair tonight...

4510F884-7CD2-440A-AC2B-E5C27A5B1467.jpeg

Unless you turned a lot of new parts. I think fire wood would have been a better option.

• Haha 2

Pullstart
4 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

Unless you turned a lot of new parts. I think fire wood would have been a better option.

‘Tis fire wood indeed!  Actually I just tossed it in the boiler!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH
39 minutes ago, pullstart said:

‘Tis fire wood indeed!  Actually I just tossed it in the boiler!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

:music-singing:
Broke chair roasting on an open fire... Wheel Horses resting in their stalls... :music-singing:

• Haha 1
  • Heart 3

Pullstart

It actually went like this...  it was missing a spindle or three, has been pretty iffy for a couple years.  A bigger person comes over, we have to avoid letting them sit, etc.  finally Mrs. P asked me to do something about it, so I picked it up and smashed it to pieces WWF style.  ThereIFixedIt!  :ROTF:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 5

ebinmaine

finally Mrs. P asked me to do something about it, so I picked it up and smashed it to pieces WWF style

YYYEEESSSS!!!!!

ebinmaine

A bigger person comes over, we have to avoid letting them sit,

A constant in the life of a Maine 🐻 Bear.....

• Haha 2

Pullstart
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

YYYEEESSSS!!!!!

I must admit, I was worried I’d put the chair through the subfloor of the dining room!

• Haha 2

JCM

Today not much. Went to 3 lumber yards for strapping for the addition, none to be had and BO and no idea when they will have some. 2x4's  $ 7.00 each  :confusion-confused:  And that's KD. What is this world coming to. So into the office for year end paperwork   GREAT.

• Sad 3

Pullstart

I heard tell from the wood industry that we should only expect about another month or two of wood shortages...

• Thanks 3