Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

Pullstart

EARNED my 3 gallon pin today!  The blood center was a much nicer establishment than the blood drives, comfy chairs, warm blankets for my return arm, etc.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

ohiofarmer

Here is the first idea of a centering jig to recut or re chase the threads. After inserting a slightly sanded down 1 1/4 PVC pipe, a thinwwall 1 1/2 barely slides over,but s trifle loose. The fie is a trifle loose on the outside pipe.

I think that the caulking tube can be cut apart and used to shim it to good effect. Then the die should remain square with the threads. Tell me what you think.

Ok on editing ,although the pictures are out of order, I am very happy to report that the axle threads are repaired and the retention nut threads on by hand.

After viewing some vids of people replacing brakes and bearings I saw that Dodge or Spicer improved the design of the retention nut. My truck has this cheap nut that relies on plastic inserting on the last few threads and some lame wedge made from stamped metal. If the bearing gets hot it all goes away and the live axle can come out of the splines. The updated model has a much better system with a full metal key and much better keeper. 

Going to a Dodge website for the updated part number and hopefully O'Reilly will trade it back for a better part

IMG_20230117_155336.jpg.456054bcb119daa651b54933e3dd3004.jpg

IMG-20230114-WA0003.jpeg

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 3

Pullstart

I taught Rylee how to drive a stick shift yesterday.  Whilst teaching her the fundamentals, like holeshots and donuts, I explained that she likely can’t break it.  That became a challenge I guess.  Once I turned her and her sisters loose, they decided jumping the rock pile was the next best idea.  Kids.  Upon a landing, the gas tank was ripped out and they kept driving until it ran out of gas.  Where she got this kind of hillbilly mischief from, I have no idea.  :auto-layrubber:

While they were walking home, someone called the cops on them for tearing up a field.  I am thankful for neighbors or passers by for caring, but it was fun explaining that it is our field, our Jeep, our kids.  :greetings-waveyellow:

• Haha 2

Pullstart

That is a ‘97 TJ and it is restricted to our property only, due to the condition of the frame.  I can see right through it from the driver’s side rear wheel well.  No harm, no foul.  Now the girls will get more opportunity to learn junkyard repairs!

• Like 2

Horse Newbie

I watched “Taryl Fixes All” on YouTube tonight .

I seen @Pullstart ‘s “Snowmotractor” on the cover of Lawn and Garden Tractor magazine that Taryl was reading, and I believe Taryl was reading the article on it because I seen it in the centerfold I think. 
That’s a trip !

Oops… didn’t mean to repost…

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Where she got this kind of hillbilly mischief from, I have no idea

This is clearly the result of the teachings of

MRS PULLSTART. 

:hide:

It's probably best you don't tell her I said that.....

For my health I mean. I don't care if she knows I actually said that.

:ROTF:

• Haha 1

Darb1964
On 1/13/2023 at 4:44 PM, Pullstart said:

EARNED my 3 gallon pin today!  The blood center was a much nicer establishment than the blood drives, comfy chairs, warm blankets for my return arm, etc.

Good man, I donated for years every eight weeks. Im not sure how much. I can't now because of the medications Im on. I usually went to the red cross but sometimes did it at drive's, Red Cross was definitely more comfortable.

• Heart 2

Achto

I bought this Swisher lawn mower about 6yrs ago for around $50 as a non runner and have been using it as my main grass cutter ever since. Stuck a few bucks into it here & there but no major issues until last summer. By the end of last summer it served as a mower as well as a mosquito fogger for the neighborhood. :D Tonight I took a little time "20 min" that is and pulled the glob of grease engine out. Being as it took so long to pull, it didn't hardly pay to turn the heat on in the garage. :lol: 

IMG_20230116_152943161.jpg.bb3fa4fd8ac48463c4ace03602804e53.jpg

IMG_20230116_161600824.jpg.d1dd3f573afe9814a693fb391ca544f8.jpg

Figured that as long as I am rebuilding a K241 Kohler for my 953, I might as well have 2 engines apart & rebuild this one as well. :thumbs2:

Edited by Achto
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
5 minutes ago, Achto said:

a non runner

Non runner my rear ... we had it going it in 10 minutes and twenty was mowing and tub rides!!! 

20180714_141737 (2).jpg

20180714_150300.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

SylvanLakeWH

So that's what a "tub" looks liked in Wisconsin... I see it holds beer cans quite  well... :handgestures-thumbupright:

Cool little ride!!!

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Haha 3

The Freightliner Guy

Our snomobile trailer came unhitched on the highway and luckily we are and everyone else is ok and I helped my dad hitch it back up luckily we had the safety chains 

• Sad 5

Horse Newbie

Didn’t really do this today, but Grady, my neighbor, and I have made some more progress on the “she shed” for his wife…

Got it wired, hole cut in the wall and framed to accept the Heat/ AC unit wall sleeve, and most of it insulated. After insulation is done, then we’ll do the vinyl siding…

4812A073-F3C0-41F9-A1F5-FAFC63B610CE.jpeg

C8D0BFE4-2D06-4D02-99BA-E2DB99481EA0.jpeg

05937E66-DC04-4F93-9E1A-EA852C37FEDD.jpeg

C5342562-C490-4975-B905-1B419B1820D2.jpeg

CA26BB31-C698-4AFB-9723-18BA3EE4E3CB.jpeg

71ED3B94-2AC8-4004-94D5-7556FB446024.jpeg

5A52337A-60FF-4E79-A819-4A1C02460843.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

The manager at the local tire and alignment shop called me for a special job.  There is a roll off wrecker in my drive that needs kingpins.  He recalled that I suffered through my own, a job that he differs to the local spring shop.  Their repairs lasted a little over a year and now I’m “their guy.”

• Like 2

Pullstart

See y’all after work!

BC327566-1F81-41F1-BB8C-166F82EBC9B2.jpeg

• Like 1

Pullstart

Well not a great news on my billing department, but good for the customer.  The wheel bearings are loose on one side.  Zero backlash on the kingpin.  It pays to check other’s work, and to be honest I suppose.  :lol:

DBF6D98A-D721-4578-AEF8-27A253B63917.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

The customer opted for new wheel bearings, axle seals and brakes on both sides.  I found the culprit too.  The retainer for the castle nut was never crushed into the nut grooves.  It backed out a bit.

The dealer who carries parts for a C5500 is about a 30 minute drive.  While I wait for parts, I’ve cleaned the spindles of old grease and debris and will do the same for the hubs.  Get the bearings out, get the old grubby grease out, prep for new stuff.

8D2A8035-F485-42A3-9F12-48B045BD744F.jpeg

37A9B0A9-AF3B-42DB-B686-C23B3C495C88.jpeg

Edited by Pullstart
  • Like 3

Handy Don
14 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

05937E66-DC04-4F93-9E1A-EA852C37FEDD.jpeg

Be sure to fill those insulation gaps at the bottoms of the walls lest mold develops in there.

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy
20 hours ago, Achto said:

I bought this Swisher lawn mower about 6yrs ago for around $50 as a non runner and have been using it as my main grass cutter ever since. Stuck a few bucks into it here & there but no major issues until last summer. By the end of last summer it served as a mower as well as a mosquito fogger for the neighborhood. :D Tonight I took a little time "20 min" that is and pulled the glob of grease engine out. Being as it took so long to pull, it didn't hardly pay to turn the heat on in the garage. :lol: 

IMG_20230116_152943161.jpg.bb3fa4fd8ac48463c4ace03602804e53.jpg

IMG_20230116_161600824.jpg.d1dd3f573afe9814a693fb391ca544f8.jpg

Figured that as long as I am rebuilding a K241 Kohler for my 953, I might as well have 2 engines apart & rebuild this one as well. :thumbs2:

Well i'll be dipped! a three wheeled lawn mower now thats something my dad would like. being we currently have 7 three wheelers certainly another one would do even though my mom would not be very happy and dad would probably have to sleep on the couch again if we got one :lol:

• Haha 5

Achto
1 hour ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

Well i'll be dipped! a three wheeled lawn mower now thats something my dad would like

These are a blast to drive!! Zero turn capability, front wheel drive, 2 speeds on some models, shift on the fly. To go in reverse you spin the front wheel 180 degrees around, kind of like driving a bumper car at a carnival. Hardest thing to get used to is that you don't use your feet for anything. Hand clutch on the steering column, hand lever to engage the mower deck, and a hand flip lever to change gears. No brakes but as soon as you pull the clutch back it stops quite quickly. In order to get it to free wheel so that you can push it you have to disengage a lock pin on the front wheel.

Only thing that I don't like is that the mower deck is part of the frame. To adjust your cutting height you have to remove the blades and move spacers on the spindles above or below them. Needless to say I don't adjust my cutting height very often, or ever.:D

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

Built a socket for a special nut today…

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

Horse Newbie
4 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Be sure to fill those insulation gaps at the bottoms of the walls lest mold develops in there.

Yes sir, thank you @Handy Don

those were full length, uncut pieces of insulation.

The gap you see is how much the unleveled old dog kennel concrete pad drops off going to the right…

Those spots will be taken care of. I wanted to insulate all areas that would take a full 23 x 96 inch piece. Then I will do the areas that will be 23” wide, but will have to be cut lengthwise. Then the small irregular areas will be done last…

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie
2 hours ago, Achto said:

These are a blast to drive!! Zero turn capability, front wheel drive, 2 speeds on some models, shift on the fly. To go in reverse you spin the front wheel 180 degrees around, kind of like driving a bumper car at a carnival. Hardest thing to get used to is that you don't use your feet for anything. Hand clutch on the steering column, hand lever to engage the mower deck, and a hand flip lever to change gears. No brakes but as soon as you pull the clutch back it stops quite quickly. In order to get it to free wheel so that you can push it you have to disengage a lock pin on the front wheel.

Only thing that I don't like is that the mower deck is part of the frame. To adjust your cutting height you have to remove the blades and move spacers on the spindles above or below them. Needless to say I don't adjust my cutting height very often, or ever.:D

@The Freightliner Guy,

Check out Taryl Fixes All on YouTube…

He has a video about those, where you turn the front wheel 180 degrees to go backwards…

I found it…

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

formariz

I am not the type that needs to finish a project to start another one. Quite the opposite. My mind is continuously sprouting new ideas creating too many started and unfinished projects . Drives the wife crazy but I am perfectly fine with it. Time however to finish some of them. Even grow flowers in winter. 

95C61D61-4960-4A77-8A9E-21CDD8168E03.jpeg.d3f9be1b6ac5ecce585865c8bab36ef4.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

Pullstart

It’s 37 and light showers today.  Perfect day for…

…some house work.

7F4D8777-E722-471A-8D17-B487AC0870C7.jpeg

E17810A6-3060-4832-82C1-CD4969D8212E.jpeg

• Like 3

Pullstart

Mostly buttoned up.  The soffit needs finishing on a warmer day.  Cutting the plastic pieces in the cold is never fun.

I added proper blocking where necessary and replaced the fascia board.E5359CD2-3DC6-48D3-AD85-DCECC277114B.jpeg.b8d49938f88d9b4562ae8e4cc99c1420.jpegEF8D005C-D3E1-4DDC-A315-8862EA0E01E1.jpeg.5d9cf2eef0eaa9850666de3adbca27a4.jpeg

Then I replaced the drip edge and fascia.  I left a gap at the bottom of the board to allow for soffit to fit in the channel.  It’ll shed water, and that was my goal for the day!

79C6155B-E564-47F4-BA47-8D88194574CB.jpeg

E994A9AC-6C77-40BE-AD2B-7701B75899F2.jpeg

8616E93D-BBD0-49C4-9B17-013B10629300.jpeg

• Like 2