Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

Horse Newbie
43 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I think a mixture rich enough to accumulate that much oil in the exhaust would probably not run well and it would smoke like the dickens.

IMHO, that oil is coming around the rings--worn rings or a worn/scored cylinder wall.

34 minutes ago, Stormin said:

I agree with Don. Ring problem. Possibly a broken one.

Okay gents… thank you much !

Now would youse guys attempt a repair or run it till it quits ?… runs well… doesn’t smoke…

I’m thinking run the life out of it and then replace with another GAS ! trimmer…

• Excellent 1

Pullstart
49 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

I’m thinking run the life out of it and then replace with another GAS ! trimmer…

great idea :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Handy Don
53 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

attempt a repair or run it till it quits ?

If it was a relatively young machine, I'd think repair.

It I'd already gotten my money's worth out of it, I'd run it 'til it quit.

BTW, depending on where you live, gas string trimmers are gonna start becoming dinosaurs--they emit a LOT of pollution. The last one I bought (4 years ago) cost me $35 and two years ago I was given one free so maybe don't thing of spending a lot on a new one!

• Like 2

lynnmor
1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

Rich as in too much oil ?… Don’t know the ratio right offhand… I’ll check the manual and my oil bottles. I am pretty sure the mix is as recommended as I am a stickler when it comes to science…lol… you could say I’m mad about it !:laughing-rolling:

Double check the oil ratio and try a fresh batch if necessary.  If the engine has good compression it is doubtful that a broken ring is the fault, two cycle engines have no oil ring and they burn whatever oil is fed to them.  Check the air filter, one that is restricted will cause more fuel and oil to be consumed.  If the high speed mixture screw is adjusted too rich, that too will increase consumption of fuel and oil.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk
6 hours ago, Sparky said:

My shed has taken a beating the last few years, the worse was when a tree fell on it. Almost had to scrap it!

But I was able to straighten the framework enough to save it but the top was wrecked. Put a huge tarp right over the entire thing but tarps just don’t last..,so today I double tarped it (over the original shelter-logic top).
  A bit of an eyesore now but my stuff is protected from rain and off the ground. 

A5FCE0B7-2D16-4BCA-B3D8-729137DABE36.jpeg

Them 3 car garages attached to the house ain't never big enough! :hilarious:

• Haha 2

squonk
9 hours ago, Pullstart said:

I’ll have to borrow @Jrblanke’s tuxedo t-shirt though!

You may have to hem it up so your flip flops show! Or are you goin with the Cowpoke boots? :lol:

• Haha 1

Pullstart
13 minutes ago, squonk said:

You may have to hem it up so your flip flops show! Or are you goin with the Cowpoke boots? :lol:

Never got the call… must be they’re going on without a hitch!  

• Like 2

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

Check the air filter, one that is restricted will cause more fuel and oil to be consumed

Now a clogged air filter could certainly be the problem… don’t know if I’ve ever even looked at it- I’m embarrassed…

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Haha 2

Horse Newbie

Well I got the grass… er “yard” cut… and before I put the baby bear Cadet back in the storage building I figured I would go ahead and hang this appliance truck back on the back wall…

Had to move the 1994 520H to do that, so I thought what a great reason to get a little seat time on the 520H and the Work Horse GT-1600…

5617D18D-42AE-473B-BE01-213F7E189175.jpeg

• Like 3

Handy Don
15 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

The incredibly hard working BBT and her helpers have been going along for weeks now

Hat's off and a bow to Trina and her assistants.

I know the wedding is over by now but I sure hope the care invested in the setting and the atmosphere enhanced a terrifically memorable occasion.

• Like 2

8ntruck

Watched it rain most of today.  Did a 1/2 mile power walk with the dog in the rain.  Got home and worked on building a shelf to go under Mrs. 8N's cutting table in her sewing room. 

Used my old Craftsman router to round over the edges of the lumber, then sanded the pieces and glued and screwed the shelves together.  Ready for primer and paint now.

It would have been a little more satisfying to do that job with a Stanly #100 moulding plane, but that is one tool I never acquired.  The old router is getting to be kind of cranky to set up.  Might treat myself to a new one in the not too distant future.

This weekend was supposed to have been Old Fashion Days in Stanton.  Garden tour, Miss Stanton beauty patent, talent show, karaoke night, parades (grand, fire, and kids), tractor show, car show, motor cycle show, Ultimate Air Dogs event, ect, ect.  Rain didn't help any of it.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
12 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Hat's off and a bow to Trina and her assistants.

I know the wedding is over by now but I sure hope the care invested in the setting and the atmosphere enhanced a terrifically memorable occasion.

It went absolutely wonderful. 

Many tons of hard work by bunches of people including even the bride and groom. They made a HUGE volume of the food for the event.  

We get to "try out" a smoker here for awhile. 

The groom's late step dad was big into food prep and get togethers. 

He had 2 small smokers and 2 larger ones. 

They're leaving one of the large ones here for Trina to experiment with.  

Everyone has since left (some stayed overnight) and most of the cleanup is done. 

Now to get packed up for a trip North ⬆️ 

• Like 6
  • Heart 2

Oldskool
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

We get to "try out" a smoker here for awhile. 

They're leaving one of the large ones here for Trina to experiment with.  

Sounds like a good time. I think you will have fun with a smoker

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Oldskool said:

Sounds like a good time. I think you will have fun with a smoker

Agreed. 

Best part is we don't need to buy one to try it.  

• Like 2

ebinmaine
19 hours ago, Pullstart said:

All Excellent Sir!! 

• Like 1

8ntruck
21 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Thought that getting hitched was the whole point of the gathering....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Jrblanke
On 8/13/2022 at 9:39 AM, Pullstart said:

If their minister doesn’t show up EB, just get me on the next :wh: jet outta South Bend!  I’ll have to borrow @Jrblanke’s tuxedo t-shirt though!

I got a mailer bag ready for ya!

• Haha 1

Snoopy11

After a day of logging, both the worker 416-8 and the "ATV" 800 Special got parked up at the house.

Turkeys and chickens performed the usual inspection... with Mr. Turkey getting ready for a test drive.

100_2015.JPG.a59cdf7fa9d43800fa2470ddc45cae7a.JPG

100_2016.JPG.1a817e9dc791c090851b8991ff6ebdf4.JPG

100_2017.JPG.dd5ad6796b012dab7858f194507ca7ab.JPG

100_2018.JPG.b8f3847f3142e225da33c7a5dbd93854.JPG

100_2019.JPG.99b2388af0725adc8313849ec275fee5.JPG

100_2020.JPG.0894e4af9c55990a58c5d5395f387f8c.JPG

Don

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

sjoemie himself

Visiting the 'Schwarzwald' or 'Black Forest' these couple of days. Beautiful weather so far, 27°C or 80°F with a nice breeze.

Went out on the 'Titisee' or 'Lake Titi' for a boatride and after that visited (one of) the highest mountain(s) of the Black Forest which is the 'Feldberg' and is 1493m or about 4900ft high. Fun day!

20220816_105810.jpg.a23f68089047044b8ebbe9e01e8453c9.jpg

20220816_152544.jpg.272ca12bec02f40dd9c3946599c02495.jpg

• Like 8

8ntruck

Yesterday, terrier dog and I drove 700 miles to our Missouri location.  Got to check on the house here.  The flower beds are in need of weeding.  All of the other projects are right where I left them.

Had lunch with the robotics team coach today.  Turns out that he is having a couple days of meetings with the team's leadership members.  Their project for today was to plan, purchase supplies for, cook, and serve tonight's dinner.  So, I mooched in on that so I didn't have to cook my own dinner.  Not a bad dinner for a bunch of high school kids to plan with minimal supervision.  Pasta, chicken, alfredo sauce, tomato/beef sauce, tossed salad, and brownies for desert.  

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

sjoemie himself

On our way back home from the Black Forest we stopped at the Unimog museum in Gaggenau, Germany. Although the exhibition was smaller than I hoped because of them building a 'new and improved' museum it was still worth the visit. The ride in a Unimog on a specially laid out track was quite the experience. I found a whole new kind of respect for these machines. Won't stop at almost anything.. 45° climb? No problem! Stairs? Piece of cake. Logs? Pff, like sticks!

20220819_123648.jpg

20220819_123723.jpg

20220819_130432.jpg

• Like 6

D_Mac

So I live in the city. Across the street from me is a Pizza / Italian Restaurant.  On occasion the owner drags to the curb some perfectly fine items. Not long ago he tossed out this nice bank of lockers. I cleaned them up and sold them. He saw me taking them and came over and gave me the combinations for everyone too. Today I dragged home this seems to be in good working order flat top griddle.  4 nice wooden chairs, and 3 shopping carts. The flat top was so heavy I had to hook the trailer up to my 856 to get it home. I Google it , they go for big money. I gave it to a good friend of mine who is going to convert it to propane for his camp. The shopping carts I think I'm going to try and make chairs out of them. We will see.

20210506_171118.jpg

20220818_103915.jpg

20220818_103907.jpg

20220816_155333.jpg

20220816_155316.jpg

20220818_103749.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

ohiofarmer

I put the new to me 314 to work hauling low tree hang down branches to the bonfire pile.. I did not have a small threaded trailer ball so I bolted a large socket to the tractor and the tongue weight kept it on there. 

It would have taken gobs of additional time without the trailer

IMG_20220820_121437.jpg

• Like 2

Stormin

Helped set out for a charity ploughing match, the vintage club I'm a member of, are having next weekend. Hope the weather is better for it than today. Absolutely bucketed it down half way through. Pleased I had my waterproofs. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
19 hours ago, D_Mac said:

flat top griddle

Good to have around.  

That's become Trina's go-to kitchen cookererer for campin'.