Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

SylvanLakeWH
8 hours ago, Achto said:

Laid down some flambeau r, flambeau rr, flambeau rrre. Sorry, I can't say it. I don't care what Case called their color. I'm not color blind, it's orange. Orange I tell ya. :soapbox:

I made some orange paint fly on my friends triple 4 Case today.:)

IMG_20220122_193111607.jpg.a95a0a4ceca0d571f58e8070afce8d4f.jpg

:scared-eek:

:law-policeblue:

I must admit beautiful work, but my eyes…

:ychain:

• Haha 3

SylvanLakeWH
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I must admit orange is a favorite...

First step to recovery… :clap:

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 4

oliver2-44
On 1/17/2022 at 6:50 AM, Gregor said:
On 1/17/2022 at 6:50 AM, Gregor said:

I

resized 4.jpg

@Gregor where did you get the clear little bottles. I have built several 4' W x 8' T x 16" Deep cabinets in shop & garage. Their 16" deep so all the doors have shelves like this on them.

1200361386_IMG_68161.JPG.b53e38f226c82baa9c004cd0163d0a69.JPG

• Like 3

Gregor
2 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

@Gregor where did you get the clear little bottles. I have built several 4' W x 8' T x 16" Deep cabinets in shop & garage. Their 16" deep so all the doors have shelves like this on them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KXYCXWX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kind-a pricey, but you squeeze the sides and they pop open.

Edited by Gregor

8ntruck

@Gregor - that small bottle storage idea is a good one.  My wife and I are on several maintenance prescriptions each.  That idea of yours sounds like a good way to use the empty pill bottles.

I finished removing the deck on my front porch roof today.  Will start pulling the rafters tomorrow.  I started the deck removal using a sawsall and a battery powered 5 1/4" circular saw.  I quickly realized that the job would eat up the little circular saw, so I bought a new DeWalt plug in 7 1/4" circular saw and a Diablo  metal and wood blade.  More horsepower and a good blade sure moved the job along quicker.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

AMC RULES
On 1/13/2022 at 10:16 AM, AMC RULES said:

Getting ready here today.

Snowmageddon may or may not be coming next week!    :snooty:

20220113_065210.jpg.f3496e69f8ac0e8bf63dd8477f1eb797.jpg

20220113_070737.jpg.f8ca2e15c4a87296e79288d7896266f8.jpg

20220113_075848.jpg.2a402f4a1e19ba8e90422ece0289dafe.jpg

20220113_075904.jpg.021a2d5223eaed67f37fcc04eee7d76c.jpg

20220113_080601.jpg.35fd798bf5fb34a9e519a111788f115f.jpg

20220113_080644.jpg.aa87b480b6cc64afcb11cdee5a5a2675.jpg

20220113_081338.jpg.fad88b4bb01a1236ab31401c3c8df9f1.jpg

Here's hoping...

these 500 tons will see us through.   :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Appears that measly 500 tons(and then some) just up and disappeared!

20220124_025318.jpg.719eb8049b54f4fd5dac4c277ce05239.jpg

20220124_025348.jpg.b93ad987ba9f68bfd78e6fce3fc7b9e5.jpg

20220124_025400.jpg.3d390616a4b78c706819a234511beed8.jpg

20220124_025421.jpg.6ce2cc285e68f3cc4cf1e9e45b854b90.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:
On 1/13/2022 at 10:16 AM, AMC RULES said:

Appears that measly 500 tons(and then some) just up and disappeared!

Is that normal? Have you guys had a lot of ice?

• Like 1

AMC RULES

You mean, when you have  the unrealistic expectation of seeing zero snow accumulation 24/7 on all of your installations blacktop surfaces?  :dunno:

Then yes, this is pretty much normal.

These back to back little nuisance dustings eat that salt up crazy fast.   :scared-eek:

Already more coming, that dome and another will be refilled by the end of this week.

Imagine that purchasing, equipment maintenance, and manpower budget it takes to do this!   :eusa-hand:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

SylvanLakeWH
49 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

You mean, when you have  the unrealistic expectation of seeing zero snow accumulation 24/7 on all of your installations blacktop surfaces?  :dunno:

Sad but becoming true all over… perhaps we can spread the lawyers on the snow and ice to melt it… :eusa-think:

• Like 2

ranger
51 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

These back to back little nuisance dustings eat that salt up crazy fast.   :scared-eek:

Already more coming, that dome and another will be refilled by the end of this week.

Imagine that purchasing, equipment maintenance, and manpower budget it takes to do this!   :eusa-hand:

Those photos take me back a bit. Many, many years spending six months of the year preparing, commissioning new spreaders and ploughs, calibrating,  repairing, and then being on call 24/7 during the winter months, although this was spread out between the dozen or so mobile engineers covering the UK🇬🇧. We, (the Engineers), were trained on all types of machines, HGV trucks, Lorry loader cranes, Telescopic handlers, Rough terrain forklifts etc. we had licenses for just about everything, customers, when we arrived on site,  would just throw us a bunch of keys, and say, “Get on with it!” One type of salt was pure white and used in ‘saturators’ to produce ‘Brine’ for ‘Pre-Wet’ spreaders. ‘Pre-Wet’ allows savings in materials and is more effective, especially in windy exposed areas. Another type was a mixture of salt and molasses. This apparently can cause problems in certain areas with sheep and other wildlife straying onto open roads attracted by the sweet/salty particles, only to then get hit by passing vehicles😢.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I used a piece of leftover oak flooring to make a mini console for the crab boat.  I needed a place to mount the depth finder, rod holder, power strip and tool caddy.

I am curious to see how the UV cured hard wax finish holds up on the oak board.     I installed 2,000 sq ft of this flooring 3 years ago and am super happy with it's durability.  I was leery about putting it in the kitchen, but so far it has held up well.   Cas, @formariz  do you have any experience with this type of wood finish?

104_0230.JPG.d1f06ffeaaba0d8e4db7f66ec73287f4.JPG104_0229.JPG.7bd9abcc9a9b3bd12604fcfd56267418.JPG

• Like 2

TJ5208

Pushed 2 inches of snow with the 520-8 today.

IMG_20220128_154305.jpg

IMG_20220128_154311.jpg

IMG_20220128_154315.jpg

IMG_20220128_154319.jpg

IMG_20220128_154324.jpg

IMG_20220128_154328.jpg

IMG_20220128_154334.jpg

IMG_20220128_154338.jpg

• Like 2

formariz
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I used a piece of leftover oak flooring to make a mini console for the crab boat.  I needed a place to mount the depth finder, rod holder, power strip and tool caddy.

I am curious to see how the UV cured hard wax finish holds up on the oak board.     I installed 2,000 sq ft of this flooring 3 years ago and am super happy with it's durability.  I was leery about putting it in the kitchen, but so far it has held up well.   Cas, @formariz  do you have any experience with this type of wood finish?

Unlike a regular finish, which is essentially a "film" of material applied by building it up using several coats over the material used, the hard wax finish is essentially an oil , made up of a mixture of oils and wax. Using a simplified way to explain it, pretty much like using linseed or tung  oil to finish wood. That is the simple version of it. Technology has however taken over and advanced that process and method greatly. Unlike a regular finish such as applying a polyurethane, this finish penetrates the wood to a certain extent rather than to just be on the surface.It is then cured to a "hardness" creating the final finish. I am not familiar with the classification of 'UV" on this finish but I suspect that it is the process used to cure the particular one you have.

As with any oil finished wood it becomes very resistant to moisture and spills on it although they should be immediately cleaned or it will eventually penetrate enough to leave a stain. Again like using linseed or tung oil it brings out the best in the wood making grain and character really pop. To a certain extent, damaged areas can be fixed by scuffing area and reapplying the finish. It does sort of needs a little maintenance such as re oiling every several years. That however is not for everyone and one needs to have the proper stuff from the manufacturer which is not always easy or possible.It is a real nice finish usually in a satin or flat.

It is a great finish with a lot of technology behind it. The floor in my downstairs has a not so advanced finish, but essentially the same principle without the curing part. A mixture that I have used for years to finish a lot of the solid wood work that I do. A mixture of oil (waterlox) Thinner and Bees Wax. I melt it all together to an almost boil, rubbing it then on the wood while warm. While wet I sand with 400 paper creating a light "slurry" that gets embedded into the wood.Wipe dry, buff and then repeat for at least three times. The end result is a warm satin finish which is silk smooth to the touch looking as part of wood and not "on it".

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
48 minutes ago, formariz said:

I am not familiar with the classification of 'UV" on this finish

Thanks for the reply Cas.     That sounds exactly like the finish I have except the "UV"  ultraviolet light  is used to cure and harden the wax.      So the flooring is prefinished.  Somewhat expensive, but saving some some installation time...and no sanding dust. 

• Like 1

formariz
6 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Thanks for the reply Cas.     That sounds exactly like the finish I have except the "UV"  ultraviolet light  is used to cure and harden the wax.      So the flooring is prefinished.  Somewhat expensive, but saving some some installation time...and no sanding dust. 

You are welcome Ed. Yes it does eliminate many inconveniences. On top of that it has a guaranteed finish you can be certain it is properly done. The same cannot be said about most floor finishers or re-finishers today. A lot of incompetence and total lack of knowledge on subject of wood and finishes. Another thing most don't think about the prefinished floors is the fact that it is sealed on the backs. Extremely important fact .

• Like 1

OldWorkHorse

Got the dust off the 314 and put her to work today snowblowing! She did a great job, but man she did not wanna fire up after her hibernation! Hope everyone is doing great in 2022!

20220130_084904.jpg

• Excellent 3

EB-80/8inPA

If I can motivate myself to get outside in this weather (low teens), I might get something done today other than slacking on RS.  OTOH, I might sign off just to give the impression I’m getting something accomplished somewhere.

Edited by EB-80/8inPA
  • Haha 5

19richie66

32* here and sunny. Getting a little more yard work done this morning. 

image.jpg

• Like 5

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

If I can motivate myself to get outside in this weather (low teens), I might get something done today other than slacking on RS.  OTOH, I might sign off just to give the impression I’m getting something accomplished somewhere.

I never sign off. 

I also never get anything done.  

I leave everything possible plus 10% to keep BBT busy.  

:ROTF:

• Haha 3

EB-80/8inPA
30 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I never sign off. 

I also never get anything done.  

I leave everything possible plus 10% to keep BBT busy.  

:ROTF:

I would sign off more frequently but signing back in is a PITA.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Southern_Secret

Used my 4 wheeled horse to feed the 4 legged horse :lol: :wh:

20220129_172218 (2).jpg

Edited by Southern_Secret
  • Like 5

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Southern_Secret said:

Used my 4 wheeled horse to feed the 4 legged horse :lol: :wh:

I'll be every kind of impressed if I see that hair covered horse holding a gas can feeding the paint covered horse

• Haha 4

Southern_Secret
23 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'll be every kind of impressed if I see that hair covered horse holding a gas can feeding the paint covered horse

:laughing-rofl::laughing-rofl::laughing-rofl::laughing-rofl:  If I walk out there one day and there both in the pasture running around......well......i'ma just walk away really REALLY slow in hope that I don't get spotted :lol:

• Haha 3

EB-80/8inPA
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

That would be impressive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
50 minutes ago, Southern_Secret said:

:laughing-rofl::laughing-rofl::laughing-rofl::laughing-rofl:  If I walk out there one day and there both in the pasture running around......well......i'ma just walk away really REALLY slow in hope that I don't get spotted :lol:

Also ...

DON'T tell anyone unless you get video. And even then it may not be enough.  

• Haha 2