What did you do today?

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, OldWorkHorse said:

Yes it does but almost seems so empty in there. Might need a big block lol

Needs a Kohler 12 HP 

• Excellent 1

Ed Kennell
On 5/2/2024 at 5:52 PM, JoeM said:

Nice, but I just like them pan fried in butter. Just gut, rinse, and fry. 

I know there is a lot of meat that is missed when filet. But to each their own. 

I used to cook whole fish and the stocked trout that are raised in nurseries are probably still safe to cook and eat whole.

But for safety, I filet, skin, and remove the liver line of all fish I eat.  We do eat a lot of trout, perch, croakers, and stripers.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Watched grandson Clayton graduate from Penn State this AM.    Two down and two to go.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

8ntruck

Just have to write this, since noone else has.

May the forth be with you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Mickwhitt

When I was younger my dad would stuff me inside three old car tyres and roll me down a hill ......

Ah, those were the Goodyears   

• Haha 6
  • Heart 1

Mickwhitt

More paving and digging this morning. 

Put down a 4 inch wide strip of concrete to take some bricks for a step.  Our garden is 40 foot wide. So tell me why, oh why did my dog decide that 4 inch wide strip was the only way to get from A to B.

20240506_101426.jpg.303324cc8a6cce4b06307dfdbf923cf8.jpg

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

More paving and digging this morning. 

Put down a 4 inch wide strip of concrete to take some bricks for a step.  Our garden is 40 foot wide. So tell me why, oh why did my dog decide that 4 inch wide strip was the only way to get from A to B.

There is NO other way.

• Like 2

Mickwhitt

You could say she was testing the consistency of my mix, her face was a picture as she started to sink in it.

Did I mention I'm building a greenhouse? 

Decided to take the plunge and build one myself rather than spend a fortune on a prefab aluminium one.

20240506_120457.jpg.46025175fc68def2d52e820082b47d21.jpg

20240506_120448.jpg.d39f260ac2f7816495205be52f0938ae.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

19richie66
Posted (edited)

Finished this one up. Started on #2 & #3. Hope to have a couple more to sell at the show. 

IMG_4879.jpeg

Edited by 19richie66
  • Excellent 6

8ntruck

@Mickwhitt how involved does your local government get in your greenhouse project?

In many locations here, that size building would need a permit and probably an inspection.

• Sad 1

Ed Kennell
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

@Mickwhitt how involved does your local government get in your greenhouse project?

In many locations here, that size building would need a permit and probably an inspection.

And a reassessment of  the  property value to determine the amount of increase to the school tax and the municipality tax.

Oh, and don't forget the seepage pit that is required for the run off  for all new  additions.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Mickwhitt

Wow, I thought we had crazy planning laws.

But, if a building is non permanent,  ie wooden shed etc.  Then it requires no planning permission or building regulations approval.

If it is permanent it has to be 1m away from boundaries, less than 4 m tall and not cover more than a third of the total ground area of the garden. If its not for habitation it doesn't need building regulations either.

Thats all from memory as I've done a few buildings at different properties over the years. 

As regards property values and such, no  we get a council tax band based on the value of the property on a certain date. Ours is band D, and the bands start at A- and go up to H which is twice the cost of our pile. 

This shows you what our money goes towards. Or rather what it's supposed to go towards. 

20240506_173526.jpg.9e57ed355dc7a5865f12147e872dd3bb.jpg

Ed Kennell
8 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

But, if a building is non permanent,  ie wooden shed etc.

Our definition of that is a shed/barn that is built off site and delivered intact to the site.     These are exempt from most regs. and permits.

Any on site construction requires a permit.   Any new addition requires a detailed dimensioned  plot drawing showing all buildings, existing and new,  that must be approved before a permit for construction is issued.    Maintenance to existing buildings require a permit but only a written explanation of the work, i.e.  new ,siding,  roofing, windows, etc.

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse
Posted (edited)

@Mickwhitt  Mick your property tax is 2,124.77 pounds ? Am i reading your bill correctly ?

Edited by elcamino/wheelhorse
made an error
  • Like 1

19richie66
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@Mickwhitt  Mick your property tax is 2,124.77 pounds ? Am i reading your bill correctly ?

Dang, you got a ton of taxes :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@19richie66 I just got my property tax bill for a 1150 sq..ft. house on a 3/4-acre lot only $2736.00. Every month I pay 4.00 tax on gas bill, $4.00 tax on sewer and water bill and $12.00 (tax) for stormwater runoff and $4.00 tax on electric bill. I figured up Mick's bill and it is a little less than mine. Hate to think what the guys in NY and NJ pay.

Mickwhitt

Yes that's Our annual council tax bill, what I guess you call property tax..

That covers garbage collection, other council services and the other bits for policing and fire service. 

Our other bills for gas, electrickery,  water also have VAT on them. Value added tax at 20%.

Is pretty expensive just to live these days.

• Like 2

19richie66

2000 pounds is a ton….. he has a ton of taxes. I guess I won’t quit my day job 😂. They get you on everything nowadays. 

• Haha 2

adsm08
4 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Our definition of that is a shed/barn that is built off site and delivered intact to the site.     These are exempt from most regs. and permits.

Any on site construction requires a permit. 

Which is dumb and drives me up a wall.

I could have had a 12x50 pre-fab wooden shed delivered for no permit, but I had to get one to put up an 8x12 tin unit because it came in a box and had to be assembled on-site.

But the $4000 price difference was worth the $50 permit

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Any on site construction requires a permit.   Any new addition requires a detailed dimensioned  plot drawing showing all buildings, existing and new,  that must be approved before a permit for construction is issued.    Maintenance to existing buildings require a permit but only a written explanation of the work, i.e.  new ,siding,  roofing, windows, etc.

Up here they go by how it's mounted, believe it or not. 

If it's movable it ain't taxable... but I'm not sure if there's a size limit. 

I bought a portable garage with tarp sides. No tax. 

If I cover the frame with roofing metal and hold it to the ground it becomes a tax generator.  

• Like 1

lynnmor
21 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Ed, I believe you are in Chanceford Township same as me.  It would be best to see any of these rules in writing because much of what goes on is made up as they go.  Page thru this to see if anything is written about sheds or maintenance.  If it is not in writing, ignore the noise.

• Like 1

Handy Don
22 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Hate to think what the guys in NY and NJ pay.

Good plan. 

Property taxes here in the NYC metro area are steep. Ours cover village and county government, local public school, and our library and are theoretically based on an assessment of market value. Totals five to even ten times @Mickwhitt’s numbers are frequent.

That said, full inventory revaluations are a political hot potato and haven’t been done in our village in over 50 years (because there will ALWAYS be winners and losers, which politicians HATE). So newer homes and those resold tend to have higher valuations. There is some opaque formula and a “grievance” day every June where you can argue (typically fruitlessly) your assessment and there are law firms that will help you for a slice of the first year tax saving.

• Sad 2

Ed Kennell

I've lived in this 1500 sq ft cabin for quite awhile.    Every five years, I pay the  full original price in property taxes.    

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Ed Kennell

I picked up this non running string trimmer for cheap at the auction a few weeks ago.    I found a broken wire that needed soldered and it had spark and ran but died when I opened the throttle.   Took the little Walbro off and stripped it down and soaked it for a week.      Today I put it back together with new fuel lines and filter.  She runs strong and is a beast.  I think I could till the garden with this thing.

100_0291.JPG.5a9ad4bda64620bb55fd1cf7caf846af.JPG100_0292.JPG.1ddb54606f45be94ea426456d586ebd4.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3