Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

Achto

Installed some new barrels in an IH 656 this afternoon. As always having the correct tool for the job makes thing much easier. In this pic I'm pulling the old cylinder sleeves out of the block.

IMG_20230319_134348229_HDR.jpg.69e55ae166e8d4453223a3fbd6d036dc.jpg

Block machining had its tolerances at the factory, so much tolerance that the o.d. of the sleeves had to be adjusted to fit the holes. They did take the time to label their tolerance though. O.D. needed for the holes in the block were marked at the factory on each cylinder A - D. If you look close at the pic you can see the stamping next to the cylinders. This engine had 1 A bore, 1 D bore, and 4 C bores. The new sleeves that I received fit the C bore perfectly. The D bore was almost .001" larger the the C bores so I measured all of the sleeves and found one that was .0005" larger on the o.d. than the rest. I installed this sleeve into the D bore. For the A bore in this block, I used a rigid hone to clean the hole out to fit the sleeve. New barrels installed, block cleaned up, good enough for today. Doing this job at a relative's place in an unheated shop so when then sun gets low & the cold sets in, I call it a day :thumbs2:

IMG_20230319_154927536.jpg.38dea593b0290c17c8c727a73b8b3e61.jpg

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 7

ClassicTractorProfessor

Still a bit cool and windy to work on the 1067 out in the barn, so I started on a 1948 Maytag Twin that Tasha bought at a show we went to last spring. I got the engine running shortly after we got home from that show, but she wanted it restored so here we are.  

I got the engine fully disassembled, and most all of the parts cleaned and degreased. Good thing we tore it down, while it did run and ran quite well it had been ran on a pretty lean oil mix at sometime. Lots of scoring on the pistons and cylinder walls. Had another Twin on the shelf I bought at an auction a while back for a parts engine, it had a set of jugs and pistons that were in great shape so I salvaged them for use on this engine. 

20230319_124517.jpg

20230319_124608.jpg

20230319_135159.jpg

20230319_203759.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Wheel Horse 3D
On 2/27/2023 at 9:19 AM, c-series don said:

@lynnmor Do you or anyone else have a good source for connectors? I really like the ones that have a little silicone inside and heat shrink tubing on the outside. I understand that soldering is the best, but some of the connections I make will never be out in the elements. 

Available from multiple vendors, with or without internal solder

The crimp,solder,and seal are my favorites:

Https://hi-line.com/electrical/heat-shrink-terminals/crimp-solder-seal-connectors

A search for "crimp solder and seal" should get ya some options, pricey, but well worth it.

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Nice driveway!!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Interesting joint observation - In Michigan we would have 2-3 times the expansion joints (unless the pics were taken before joints were cut)... :eusa-think:

• Like 2

cleat

Yes, and even then the frost would crack it up.

I keep saying that I am going to upgrade my gravel drive mainly because it fills up with weeds.

• Like 2

Horse Newbie
19 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Nice driveway!!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Interesting joint observation - In Michigan we would have 2-3 times the expansion joints (unless the pics were taken before joints were cut)... :eusa-think:

The man made joints with a tool every 20 or so feet I guess, then returned the following day to make saw cuts…

DAFEC001-E151-43DC-953A-0ACE0A914637.jpeg

769D54D8-AEFD-490A-AD3F-95FC88F4E9B3.jpeg

36609476-A7E4-4DCE-8166-15A7BC3BDED4.jpeg

72F447AA-EBF7-47EC-879C-895788F7C543.jpeg

7FA24D31-AAC7-4EBB-BF9E-2D124592A7C3.jpeg

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie
41 minutes ago, cleat said:

I keep saying that I am going to upgrade my gravel drive mainly because it fills up with weeds

Weeds and grass, gets a little muddy in winter, and having to add gravel/ stone every few years was what I got tired of and made me give in… concrete won’t likely get cheaper…

• Like 2

8ntruck

I've spent the last few days as a Robot Inspector at the F.I.R.S.T. Robotics Central Missouri Regional robotics competition.  It was hosted by the robotics team I mentor for at the gym in the high school.

The bulk of the work was inspecting the robots on Thursday, which was check in and practice day.  Friday and Saturday, I spent on mostly on the field giving the robots a quick visual check as they came on deck for their matches.  Friday and Saturday, I spent most of the time on the field doing quick visual check on the robots as they came on deck.  Fun job.  It gives me the chance to see the robots up close and talk with the kids who built them.  At the end of the meet, the lead robot inspector invited me to be a robot inspector at the world championships in Houston, Tx next month.  Both teams are now qualified for the championships, so I think I'll be there.

Our robotics team fielded two competition teams.  One robot built by the juniors and the seniors, the other robot built by the freshman and sophomores.  The upperclassmen ended up in the #1 seated alliance, and the underclassmen ended up on the #2 seated alliance.  in a repeat of the competition, we attended two weeks ago, the two teams met in the best of 3 finals round.  The upperclassmen won the first match, while the underclassmen won the next two.  We had some very disappointed and despondent upperclassmen.  We have some underclassmen with heads that are swelling.

What is not fully understood is that all of these matches were very close and could have gone either way.  In the end, the upperclassmen were victims of a robot failure in both competitions - basically bad luck for the upperclassmen and good luck for the underclassmen.  I don't fully believe that the underclassmen have completely realized that their wins were more a factor of luck rather than superior skill or robot mechanics, whereas the upperclassmen have some appreciation of this fact.

• Like 5

Brockport Bill
1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

I've spent the last few days as a Robot Inspector at the F.I.R.S.T. Robotics Central Missouri Regional robotics competition.  It was hosted by the robotics team I mentor for at the gym in the high school.

The bulk of the work was inspecting the robots on Thursday, which was check in and practice day.  Friday and Saturday, I spent on mostly on the field giving the robots a quick visual check as they came on deck for their matches.  Friday and Saturday, I spent most of the time on the field doing quick visual check on the robots as they came on deck.  Fun job.  It gives me the chance to see the robots up close and talk with the kids who built them.  At the end of the meet, the lead robot inspector invited me to be a robot inspector at the world championships in Houston, Tx next month.  Both teams are now qualified for the championships, so I think I'll be there.

Our robotics team fielded two competition teams.  One robot built by the juniors and the seniors, the other robot built by the freshman and sophomores.  The upperclassmen ended up in the #1 seated alliance, and the underclassmen ended up on the #2 seated alliance.  in a repeat of the competition, we attended two weeks ago, the two teams met in the best of 3 finals round.  The upperclassmen won the first match, while the underclassmen won the next two.  We had some very disappointed and despondent upperclassmen.  We have some underclassmen with heads that are swelling.

What is not fully understood is that all of these matches were very close and could have gone either way.  In the end, the upperclassmen were victims of a robot failure in both competitions - basically bad luck for the upperclassmen and good luck for the underclassmen.  I don't fully believe that the underclassmen have completely realized that their wins were more a factor of luck rather than superior skill or robot mechanics, whereas the upperclassmen have some appreciation of this fact.

Took my 9 y old twin grandsons to a legos FIRST Robotics competition a few weeks ago, as well as pre covid -- amazing experience for them -- they both are very high advanced aptitude at legos so to see the mechanical motorized version is a great experience for them.

• Like 4

rmaynard

Beautiful day for some seat time, so I pulled out the Cyclone rake, lowered the mower deck on 1.5", and sucked up all the tiny sticks and branches that mother nature delivered over the winter. 

• Like 4

Handy Don

Dethatched the "finally dry enough” lawns which yielded 8 bags of dead grass and leaf mulch. Also laid down the weed n’ feed for spring.

No pictures ‘cause I used the Hi-Vac (one of those other snappy “red” brands). :)

• Like 5

EB-80/8inPA

Did the seasonal swap out of winter equipment (blower and plow that never got used, lolz), prepared to deal with my quarter horse 1267, and did some other yard stuff, too.  Today was gloriously springlike - a really welcome change of weather.  Lest I forget; I almost overturned the C160 pulling wheelies up the hill.  Fun stuff!

• Like 2

Achto

Made some more progress on the IH 656 engine today. Crank, pistons, rods, head & oil pump installed. Rocker arms are adjusted, almost ready to close this engine up.

IMG_20230326_170118261_HDR.jpg.8115694fae625f253a5120f82b33898e.jpg

IMG_20230326_170128684_HDR.jpg.7947f0d4a99db88bd81e1ec619cb478a.jpg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

I took a window out of a garage last week Thursday and put in a French door.  I made it waterproof and called it a day.  Today, I re-wired the outlet, insulated, re-sheeted the interior and finished the siding outside.  I am glad there was enough material to patch in the wall and siding!

02B683C7-BCF9-4E19-BBB1-281219DC9CFB.jpeg

2EB65D2A-57AE-4939-AB7E-BEE76B6D69F3.jpeg

F033542C-C6CD-415E-93FB-09CF97A80449.jpeg

347275B4-9E5C-4439-A575-20454507D06B.jpeg

D87D7F40-094D-4896-96BF-6B814921B2F2.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3

Pullstart

I saw a pretty dark plume in the sky a bit ago, picking up my niece from school.  I called the non-911 county dispatch number and notified them.  I hope it’s just a spring clean up under way..  My guess is that the base of this plume is the size of a small house, if not larger.  It’s a couple miles out…

80E33D54-9B4E-4557-A6CB-20FFEB62853A.jpeg

Edited by Pullstart
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

SylvanLakeWH

Hope it's just a burn pile like you say... 

But...

Gotta ask - you didn't leave one of your tractors running in a field near there did you? :hide:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Pullstart
3 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

But...

Gotta ask - you didn't leave one of your tractors running in a field near there did you? :hide:

That one was below the cutting edge right there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart
22 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

https://www.woodtv.com/news/allegan-county/smoke-rising-from-fire-south-of-wayland/

It ended up being miles away, taking 9,000 gallons of put the fire out juice to put the fire out.

F5735541-3C1F-4561-B632-65F2A7E013A0.jpeg

Edited by Pullstart
  • Sad 4

SylvanLakeWH

Yikes! :scared-eek:

Glad nobody was hurt...

Darb1964

A friend helped me fix up my wife's chicken run today. The last forty inches of wet heavy snow two weeks ago crushed it down and ripped open some of the fence. We were at least able too get it closed in enough too hopefully keep the predators out until we can do it right. Spring has not showed up in Peru Massachusetts yet.

20230327_153234.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Oldskool

What did I do today......Nothing  I wanted too. Everything I didn't want to. INCLUDING stepping in a full oil drain pan. 

That is all......

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Oldskool said:

What did I do today......Nothing  I wanted too. Everything I didn't want to. INCLUDING stepping in a full oil drain pan. 

That is all......

Not an activity I'd normally recommend....... 

• Like 2

Darb1964
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Not an activity I'd normally recommend....... 

I've yet stepped in a drain pan, but it seems like I spill it every time I change oil. I always tell myself, watch out for the waste oil, then by the time I'm done I should have just drained it on the floor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4