Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

formariz
3 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

Spot on! Same here :handgestures-thumbupright:

100% correct! Not making boards but cutting up some knotted and twisted pieces of wood that were too tough for the little logsplitter.

Thought it made for a nice picture with the saw in that pile of 'chips' (or what's the correct word for chips? please fill me in)

Chips is correct for result when cross-cutting . When ripping they are really shavings. They are the result of using a cross cutting chain in line with grain which has a slicing action. An actual ripping chain would only make dust and not chips or shavings. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

sjoemie himself

Thanks for elaborating on that @formariz. I did'nt know there were different types of chains for different sawing operations. Goes to show that I really should'nt be touching wood :P

That being said, I joined a group of certified loggers/treefallers last week as an apprentice. That way I'm  able to learn how to manage woods/forests and how (and which) tree to cut down properly. Excited to learn this new skill.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, sjoemie himself said:

I joined a group of certified loggers/treefallers last week as an apprentice. That way I'm  able to learn how to manage woods/forests and how (and which) tree to cut down properly. Excited to learn this new skill

Here in the Northeast US that would be an invaluable piece of knowledge. 

Maine in particular. We're the most densely forested state in the nation. 

Logging is, as you can imagine, a HUGE industry. 

The ability to properly choose timber even for your own firewood is a great skill. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

sjoemie himself

I can only imagine what that looks like, when seeing your garage/dojo being built I can tell there are way more trees around than where I live.

Overhere it's mostly strips of forest or plots of land that were used to grow crops some 50 years ago. Almost all forest we have in the Netherlands but certainly in our province has been planted, man made so to say. Nothing like you have.

It has multiple plus points joining this group for basically free.

Lifelong membership costs €150/$155.

Once joined all training by certified logging members is free.

4 hours of work you put in equals one cubic metre of logs you get to take home.

Each friday- and saturday morning (08:30-12:00) during logging season you can go into the forest if you want to.

State forest service marks the trees that have to be cut and oversees the club I joined in terms of safety and management of the forests.

So basically free excercise, training and wood..

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4
  • Heart 3

formariz
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Here in the Northeast US that would be an invaluable piece of knowledge

Where I live we have no dense forests but many properties have substantial wooded areas. They are of course entirely and totally neglected. The biggest problem are the ones in hills or slopes. Being left alone without knowledgeable trimming and thinning, there is no sunlight for the undergrowth to thrive. In addition due to over building the deer population is confined to small areas decimating what ever little undergrowth there is. The result are unhealthy woods where the soil constantly erodes from the lack of vegetation. Many large trees just topple over from erosion and root exposure. Of course those owner will spend countless amounts on maintaining their lawns manicured and green. Another example of today's uninformed and irresponsible society.They cannot see their world crumbling around them.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Sad 1

Snoopy11
8 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Here in the Northeast US that would be an invaluable piece of knowledge.

We got's some trees here too, Eric! :P

I learned how to properly fell trees by watching youtubers... and careful experience. I have cut down some enormous trees here out of necessity... clearing acres of area since we have lived here. I haven't had 1 tree do anything silly. I think 90% of cutting down trees is consideration and planning. The other 10% is cleaning up the mess... :ychain:

Don

• Like 1

19richie66

Got our firepit done today. Just need to get some rock for filler and a good chiropractor referral   :laughing-rolling: 

E22BD9C7-2572-48F9-8114-7ACD27D97980.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5
  • Heart 1

Snoopy11
3 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

good chiropractor

Pin on Comical Chiropractic Cartoons

:laughing-rofl:

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

sjoemie himself

@formariz I must admit I belong to that group of individuals that doesn't know how to properly maintain a forest. In a few years I hope to have a whole new understanding of these things.

@Snoopy11 YouTube is a great source of knowledge for sure but it can't beat hands on training from a professional who's there with you.

Experience on the other hand is maybe even better.

Since I'll be receiving wood in the near future I had to make a place to store some of it.

I made that by stacking pieces of tubes dia. 800mm/31.5" x length 600mm/24" I had laying around on top of eachother.

Should hold about 1,5 cubic metre or about 1.5 cubic yard of wood. Can expand if necessary.

20221112_161522.jpg.8147122f04e1d13fbee48bfe75911a67.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

ebinmaine
48 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

firepit

Niiiiice!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8ntruck

We've got 20 acres of woods in Ky.  Planning on building a house and a shop there.  Once those go In, I'm planning on contracting the state's Department of Natural Resources for a survey of our woods and suggestions on managing it.

There was a logging operation on that land maybe 10 years ago.  I'be seen lots of large stumps and plenty of tree tops that got left behind.  Got a lot of saplings that are growing to replace the trees that were logged. 

Interesting bit of trivia, one of the corner property posts.  It is an old oak, somewhere between 24" and 30" in diameter with three hatch marks in the bark.  Done long enough ago, that you need to know to look for the hatch makes to see them.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

one of the corner property posts.  It is an old oak, somewhere between 24" and 30" in diameter with three hatch marks in the bark.  Done long enough ago, that you need to know to look for the hatch makes

Our local surveyors call those Blazes. Legal term usable in a deed. 

Our land is marked by tree blazes on all borders except the left side which is a stone wall.  

We go around every couple years and hatchet them out as the trees grow.  Also rewrap all the tapes around the trees.  

The deed here for this property once contained at least two other land pieces. This one is the middle piece.  

To this day it uses the phrase "spotted hornbeam tree" as a reference point for a long lost unknown property point corner.  It also uses the surrounding property owner's names from a century ago to describe the location.   

I have no legal requirement to get a survey done which would change the wording so I'm leaving it alone. 

Interesting piece of history.  

• Like 3

Handy Don
19 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Once those go In, I'm planning on contracting the state's Department of Natural Resources for a survey of our woods and suggestions on managing it.

An excellent plan. In our state, NY, you can designate part of your land as a managed forest and get a break on real estate taxes. You must actively manage the forest with a plan and report results via a licensed forester, as well as meet some other requirements. Regular harvesting can also yield some cash. Wouldn't be surprised that MI has a similar program.

• Like 1

8ntruck

We took a trip into Lansing today for a meeting with our financial guy.  While we were there, we stopped at a small beer, wine, and spirits store in Okemos to see what neat things we could find.  Well, I found this:

20221116_192827.jpg.9d67490da1ec7d22db9bbbd58608e874.jpg

Successful day, I'd say.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 4

19richie66

Root canal :banana-dance:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Stormin

On 11/17/2022 at 1:16 AM, 8ntruck said:

We took a trip into Lansing today for a meeting with our financial guy.  While we were there, we stopped at a small beer, wine, and spirits store in Okemos to see what neat things we could find.  Well, I found this:

Stevasaurus sent me a bottle like that. Unfortunately it was empty. :(

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

8ntruck
24 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Stevasaurus sent me a bottle like that. Unfortunately it was empty. :(

Bummer.  Those bottles are much nicer when containing some of the original product.

SylvanLakeWH
On 11/16/2022 at 8:16 PM, 8ntruck said:

Successful day, I'd say.

I was told they didn't sell in Michigan...??? 

I'll need to check into that... :eusa-think:

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

I was told they didn't sell in Michigan...??? 

I'll need to check into that... :eusa-think:

Mail order.  

I've got my name on a bottle over here in Maine.  

SylvanLakeWH
54 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Mail order.  

I've got my name on a bottle over here in Maine.  

Agree. But he bought it in a store... I was told stores couldn't get it - no distribution to stores in Michigan...? Oh well, good for @8ntruck!!!

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Busy as all get out today...

Sold one of my tractors and an engine. 

IMG_20221119_100110999.jpg.21d95d0a8e9bef850689baeba1232184.jpg

Moved the Colossus project and some parts out of the basement workshop up to the new building. 

IMG_20221119_164457891.jpg.0ae2a0469e4bfe3f9103024f558e84bd.jpg

Helped Trina and her mom work on a new cordwood rack in the barn. 
IMG_20221119_164849022.jpg.49e1ab3ef9534b88e8564b474d989a03.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Digger 66

Ran the old Ariens for the 11th time since Friday .

77" of snow here . 

https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/

Edited by Digger 66
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Digger 66 said:

77" of snow here . 

WOWOWOWOOW!!!!

• Like 2

D_Mac
7 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

77" of snow here . 

I live just a stone throw away and we got nothing. I know it won't last though. Instead of an old ariens I have a Husqvarna blower and a Wheel Horse plow !

• Like 2

Horse Newbie

Put a roof on Grady’s wife’s she-shed… still have to do the ridge vent cap…

See those steps in the background in the second pic… I did those last summer, and the lattice around the screened-in porch.

Never fear… Handy Man to save the day !

B9DFB30E-C9F3-4903-B2CD-3231B1AF346B.jpeg

4CA4E958-A6E7-4FE0-9346-E7817811F223.jpeg

2C57CD86-E481-41AA-9118-129838317092.jpeg

4963A94F-4036-4817-BA1A-EAE652495535.jpeg

867B56FE-43A1-4253-BC6E-4100A083CC47.jpeg

20F2C868-1500-4E37-8165-1B1170AEC2C9.jpeg

A63BCF40-8EA8-4C8B-89E4-916C684F920D.jpeg

39B6B2E8-9EB3-4F24-8469-FCF9D01D7565.jpeg

438CC581-2CC9-4DA7-ABB9-781D71A21F90.jpeg

E2A9445B-D41C-48C5-8703-4770F568A818.jpeg

Edited by Horse Newbie