Pullstart

Gardening Seeds are not sellable in Michigan?

Pullstart

I am no politician and can’t say I want to start an argument.  Our lovely Governor has shut down all sales of gardening seeds due to COVID-19.  Can anyone explain what benefit this does to the people?  I for one have not purchased any fresh produce since this shutdown.  It’s commonly the first item inside a store and one of the least controlled as far as cleanliness, etc. in a commercial platform.  

We are fortunate to have a garden plot, to have a great collection of seeds and my children enjoy saving seeds from common veggies that they try to re-plant.  I’m happy they prefer to have a green thumb!

This week we will start some cucumbers, sunflowers and a handful of other veggies.  We prefer to start some things from seed direct in the garden.

E44BED63-E24D-433A-BA95-F57AF885EDB7.jpeg

E11B9013-2940-43A8-A095-18D6E0E9CEE0.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

stevasaurus

I'd bet she is thinking of all the people that would be touching the packages and putting them back.  You can order them on the net.  :occasion-xmas:

That kind of stuff is already gone around here...people are thinking Victory Gardens.  When you see full grown crops (green beans) getting plowed under in Florida...the Victory Garden is a great idea again.

• Like 3

Pullstart
3 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I'd bet she is thinking of all the people that would be touching the packages and putting them back.

I’ve got a feeling that happens with many store items.  Everything we buy that doesn’t need refrigeration sits in the vehicle for 3 days.  The rest gets Clorox wiped and goes to the fridge/freezer.  Fortunately for us, our county still has less than 10 confirmed cases last I checked. 

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat:

Mail opened on porch with contents dumped in to clean box. Envelop / box straight to trash...

Groceries are bleach wiped before they come in the house. Bags stay outside...

If we got seed packets - internet (mail) or store - they would go through the same process...

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Tell me about it...I have 4 empty Wheel Horse Rye bottles wrapped and ready for the mail.  Just need to go to the Post and address the packages and go through the line to mail.  I'm kind of waiting for this peak they are talking about, because this is not really essential activity.  While, we are good here, I can't say the same about the counters at the Post.  Too much of taking a chance yet, plus, I don't want to send this out of town.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
6 hours ago, pullstart said:

Our lovely Governor has shut down all sales of gardening seeds due to COVID-19

As long as Michigan doesn't make it against the law to buy more :wh: I wouldn't be too judgmental.   If that happened I'd say she should be tared and feathered!  :angry-tappingfoot:   

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

19richie66
5 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Tell me about it...I have 4 empty Wheel Horse Rye bottles wrapped and ready for the mail.  Just need to go to the Post and address the packages and go through the line to mail.  I'm kind of waiting for this peak they are talking about, because this is not really essential activity.  While, we are good here, I can't say the same about the counters at the Post.  Too much of taking a chance yet, plus, I don't want to send this out of town.  :occasion-xmas:

Wouldn’t mind having a bottle myself Steve if you should happen to empty another. I don’t think that will ever make it to any stores down here. I could be wrong though 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

As long as Michigan doesn't make it against the law to buy more :wh: I wouldn't be too judgmental.   If that happened I'd say she should be tared and feathered!  :angry-tappingfoot:   

Get out the tar and feathers...

The latest order specified very few exceptions to the Stay Home Stay Safe orders and, if you can believe the audacity of it, buying, selling, trading and simply getting together to drool at Wheel Horse tractors was not on the list of legal reasons to leave your house...

:angry-tappingfoot:

Some folk hear tell there’s been some :wh: rustlin’ goin’ on...  :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

I almost jumped in the truck towards Indy this morning.  Mrs. P found a pretty dang good deal on a ‘64 round hood and I figured I could put gas jugs and hoho’s in the truck to prevent me from stopping for anything but a tractor and to pee in a jug in the back seat!  :D

• Haha 2

SylvanLakeWH

Figured it was some of you mid-Michigan flatlanders causing all the ruckus...:ph34r:

Hey...Take the kids along and if you get stopped for non-essential travel tell the cop the tractor in the back is a medical device, necessary for the care of your kids... of course, have them pout appropriately at the cop while you are explaining...

You will need an extra box of ho ho’s though...

:ROTF:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

edgro

Don't want to have anyone go to the store for seeds, but I was just at Meijer for groceries, where they used to sell seeds....... Right next to hba Dept... which is open....My wife found some old seeds from my dad, 20 years or so ago, guess I'll plant those. I Did get the garden all tilled up this past weekend.....

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

Best wishes on those seeds @edgro!  We found three 5-7 year old seeds from a 500+ lb giant pumpkin... I feel like it’s all or nothing with those!  

7EDAFBC4-F5AD-42A6-9009-07623AC0283D.jpeg

69BDC717-B784-4C49-8FDC-E5814792D4D2.jpeg

shallowwatersailor

Be happy that you are not in Australia or New Zealand. New Zealand has closed its border to anyone but repatriating citizens. They then have to quarantine in a  mandated location - not home quarantine.

I have a friend that lives near Melbourne, Australia. Australia is the sixth largest country in the world but only 25 Million citizens. Still, Sydney has 5.3 million people. Australia has one of the lowest rates of infection from COVID-19 with 61 deaths and 6,400 cases. They are limiting non-essential travel to a 16 km radius. It is being enforced with a $1,600 AUS fine. Already there have been people that have fought  the fine, and lost. That is how they have kept the cases so low. New South Wales has even stricter regulations with stronger penalties.

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

image.png.275ebaa7a3042de2afcaf2caedcceaea.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

tunahead72

I'm a little confused...  And I certainly don't want to start any arguments, just wondering...  Have any of you Michigan guys tried to buy seeds in the last few days?  The reason I'm asking...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat:

No arguments! :D

He is absolutely correct! (Post number 4 above I note you can buy them on line or in stores). The Order effectively sends folks to smaller retailers or the internet for purchase of seeds or lots of other such items should folks wish to buy them...

Great video!

Thanks for posting!

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wildman

I was working all over the state of Michigan last month couldn't even get a cup of self serve coffee

• Sad 2

squonk

Here in NY It’s kind of weird. Auto shops are open. ALL EXCEPT THE ONE I NEED TO GO TO!!! :rolleyes: I figured now would be a great time to get the heated seat in the truck fixed Wife isn’t working so I could drive her van to work and leave the truck for the day. Nope. Even the sales department is closed with millions of dollars sitting on the lot. We can’t get into any school building without a letter from the schools attorneys saying it’s ok to work. Vendors won’t let you into their buildings. You stand in the rain and they practically throw your order at you. Can’t return anything. Have to wear a mask

if you can’t be 6 feet apart. You have to stop at every grocery store in your area to have any chance of getting half the items on your list. 

• Sad 3

Pullstart

We’re starting our garden today.  Another real world math problem.  We have xx seed varieties and yy cups.  How many cups can we devote to each seed type?

6FEB7326-19F1-419A-A221-A3E2C9CEC0B2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wh500special

It doesn't much matter to me what the governor of Michigan does since I live in illinois, but banning seed sales seemed so odd I had to look it up.   

The closures are on areas of large stores’ non-essential areas.  These include things like carpeting, funiture, and gardening in stores greater than 50000 ft2.

that doesn't really seem as unreasonable.  presumably small stores (ace, true value, etc) can still sell gardening supplies. 

Whether I agree with it or not is immaterial.

I continue to be amazed at how much casual shopping is going on and how many things are considered essential.

good luck and stay healthy.   And enjoy the garden!

steve 

Edited by wh500special
  • Like 2

bc.gold

Pat got an early start, tomatoes and cucumbers. These will be planted in front of the house with a southern exposure.

Girlfriend in town received her bales of straw for a permaculture garden, she;s thinking to inoculate the straw with mushroom mycelium to help break down the straw into usable nutrients for her vegetable plants.

tom.jpg

• Like 2

19richie66
17 hours ago, pullstart said:

We’re starting our garden today.  Another real world math problem.  We have xx seed varieties and yy cups.  How many cups can we devote to each seed type?

6FEB7326-19F1-419A-A221-A3E2C9CEC0B2.jpeg

I don’t know the answer but you can plant a lot in that bucket. I can’t wait to start a garden up in the farmlands. Looks like they got a good start.

Edited by 19richie66
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, wh500special said:

doesn't much matter to me what the governor of Michigan does since I live in illinois

Once one state's governor makes an illogical power grab it tends to give the other power happy government officials ideas.  :soapbox:  Next thing you know they will want to prevent McDonald's from giving out toys with Happy Meals because children might enjoy playing with them.         :scared-eek:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Pullstart

My wife found yesterday too the 50,000 sq. ft. rule and I’m guessing it was modified a bit.  There were greenhouses and nurseries shut down too I believe.  

We have plenty of seeds to sow right to soil as well, but here’s a start!

D403775C-6244-4CB6-8B85-918F0CB205A9.jpeg

• Like 2

953 nut

I just read that in Michigan it is illegal to buy a power boat, but you can buy a canoe.             :angry-tappingfoot:        Wouldn't being out on a lake with your family in a motor boat be safe social distancing?         Of course, the next thing you know a friend who has also been under self-quarantine would want to ride along and this might develop into people enjoying themselves and the Fun Police couldn't tolerate that.

So far the gardeners and boaters probably won't reelect her, how many other Non-Essential groups has she alienated? 

• Excellent 1