pen414

1986 414-8 drive belt incorrect size

pen414

I searched through the manuals pages and found the following : "Transmission drive belt 78-7100 replaced by 7473 - HB x 81.9" or 5/8" x 81.9" "

I ordered a toro belt and it was too tight (this is what i ordered https://www.amazon.com/GENUINE-OEM-TORO-PARTS-BELT/dp/B008TSTWR2/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2ARFJY1JIU17W&dchild=1&keywords=7473+toro+belt&qid=1586373266&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=7473+%2Clawngarden%2C178&sr=1-2)

I incorrectly thought it would loosen up with some use but instead kicked off the clutch pulley and tore itself up inside of 100 yards.

Luckily my original best is still surviving, but barely.  What should I be looking at for a replacement?  I thought I was doing it right by ordering a genuine belt, but it was too small.

Original belt is too worn to read numbers on it.

Thanks,

Edited by pen414

gwest_ca

I just looked it up in the original parts list Section 14. Part number 7473 for all 300 and 400-Series 8-Speed models.

Garry

• Like 1

pen414

@gwest_ca same thing I found,,,, ordered the part and it was marked correctly, but it's not a fit.

I hate to just go to napa and size up a belt, but I'm starting to think that is my only option as this belt being the wrong fit means I ruined a 30 dollar belt.  ugh

gwest_ca

Wheel Horse listed the 7473 as 5/8" x 81.9".

Garry

The Tuul Crib
9 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Wheel Horse listed the 7473 as 5/8" x 81.9".

Garry

Gary I'm having the same issues as well supposed to be a 7473 or a 108501.

is the 82 supposed to be a inside 

diameter or an outside diameter 

oldlineman

I put one a wheel horse #7473 on my 1989 414-8 last year worked great don:eusa-think:tno

tunahead72

@pen414 That 7473 belt should work, for the 8-speeds (the 108501 is for the automatics).  I've been using the same one on my '86 310-8 for years, no problems.  Do you have any photos of the old and new belts, and how you have it routed between the two pulleys?

pen414

@tunahead72 It's routed correctly.  I literally turned the bolts for the first time on the machine and took the original belt off as preventative maintenance, so this went on just as the other came off.   Plus I have it back together with the original belt so tractor can still be used. 

The belt I received from TORO was quality in feel, just too short. 

Edited by pen414

pen414
3 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

Mine is the 1986 with the k321 engine.  I believe 87 and after had a different model engine.  I was wondering if that was the difference.  I'll find a belt to work, just frustrated as I wanted a good quality Toro belt, and a bit frustrated what should be the correct one, wasn't. 

pfrederi

But was the belt itslef  marked Toro or 7473 on the belt itself???.  Amazon is rife with fakes and or mistakes, Try your local Toro Dealer. You didn't buy from Toro You bought from Bill's Place Outdoor Power Equipment supposedly selling Toro belts but who is to know...

Where are you in NEPA?  Cadillac Ranch is a reliable Toro dealer he has 7473 belts from Toro.

Edited by pfrederi

gwest_ca
3 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

Measure around the outside to get the 82" circumference.

Garry

The Tuul Crib
23 minutes ago, pen414 said:

Mine is the 1986 with the k321 engine.  I believe 87 and after had a different model engine.  I was wondering if that was the difference.  I'll find a belt to work, just frustrated as I wanted a good quality Toro belt, and a bit frustrated what should be the correct one, wasn't. 

The 78-7100 im thinking is incorrect.

the replacement for a 108501 is  a 

7473. OEM  108501 is the p n

gwest_ca

Transmission drive belt 78-7100 replaced by 7473 - HB x 81.9" or 5/8" x 81.9"

Garry

Lee1977

I bought my 7473 belt from RCPW last year haven;t had a problem with it. i also replace the clutch spring at the same time.

tom2p

The last drive belt I purchased for my 312-8 was a Toro / Wheel Horse belt - part number 93-9808.

I believe 93-9808 replaces Toro 78-7100 / 7473.

93-9808 is 82" length I believe (earlier belts were just a tad under 82" length ?).

The belt is molded / wrapped - off white in color - with TORO 93-9808 stamped (not print) in a small black rectangle on the outside of the belt 

These belts perform well - clutch operation / takeoff wheel is relatively smooth - and are very durable with long life.  The belt I replaced was a similar belt - at least 10+ years old - and still looked good and worked well.

Edited by tom2p

gwest_ca

7473 belt $35.77

93-9808 belt $48.06

Garry

pen414

Just wanted to share an update.  I ordered a wheel horse branded 7473 belt, but a 7478 belt arrived and looks great, however, this belt is too big.  Time to see how an ebay return works.  I really wanted to replace it with an "authentic" belt since the original has held up so well, but I gave up and went to Tractor Supply and picked up a 5/8 x 82 belt that works well.  Hopefully I'll get decent life out of it.  I'll attach a pic of the belt's box in case that helps anyone else. 

Thanks for all the helped out. 

2020-06-25-211944.jpg

Edited by pen414