Pullstart

Lock down Valve Spring Compressor

Pullstart

I have always gotten by without a valve spring compressor, by use of wedges, sockets, screwdrivers and 14 pounds of good luck.

I have been looking at this broken piece of C clamp ever since I tossed it in the scrap pile last spring?  It’s about time I bring it back inside and out it to good use!

AA5F42D4-7E8A-43D2-B280-89EFC19349E3.jpeg

68B1CF73-362D-492A-BE69-429183528313.jpeg

24D57DAE-7972-4A8C-BD00-11D1B423CD57.jpeg

• Like 4

Pullstart

AFE0B686-32A5-440F-B74E-C6E0C47EF2E3.jpeg

3975C700-7EDF-4905-87FB-75D735469A1B.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Now I can set out to design and build the next tool, a valve guide remover / installer.  Though this block is far from bad, I don’t mind exploring my options as far as tool building goes.  I am considering a bolt on press, utilizing the head bolt pattern and maybe the intake horn.  Anything to make this a mobile tool will work.

DDDE0479-B418-41F5-9E12-A60E0B136288.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

953 nut
8 hours ago, pullstart said:

build the next tool, a valve guide remover / installer.

I think the Kohler engine manual calls for a 5/16" bolt, nut and washer with a slide hammer.       Haven't done this in years but it seems to me we put the new guides in the freezer overnight and the slide right in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

I think the Kohler engine manual calls for a 5/16" bolt, nut and washer with a slide hammer.       Haven't done this in years but it seems to me we put the new guides in the freezer overnight and the slide right in.

Slide hammer I have!  I’ll have to do some digging, but does it call to pull the guide out, or drive it through?

953 nut

image.png.4f51d4d5890c8a2c0eb06af6b41a8c14.png

9 minutes ago, pullstart said:

does it call to pull the guide out, or drive it through?

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

image.png.4f51d4d5890c8a2c0eb06af6b41a8c14.png

Thanks!  It says “make sure new inserts are properly started and pressed into bore to prevent cocking of insert.”

WHX??

Ahhh dude you got way too much time on yer hands..... :lol: Prolly cost yo 20 in electricity to run the welder! :ychain: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Universal-Adjustable-Valve-Spring-Compressor-Automotive-Engine-Repair-Tool/121137417517?hash=item1c345a4d2d:g:SV8AAOSwyhVdl-ep

Pullstart
Just now, WHX24 said:

Ahhh dude you got way too much time on yer hands..... :lol: Prolly cost yo 20 in electricity to run the welder! :ychain: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Universal-Adjustable-Valve-Spring-Compressor-Automotive-Engine-Repair-Tool/121137417517?hash=item1c345a4d2d:g:SV8AAOSwyhVdl-ep

What’s the fun in buying something so well engineered when you can waste your entire allotted shop time building one?  No Coronas in my welder or electric bill!  :ph34r:

• Haha 3
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

As a side note, Mrs. P is working from home for the next two weeks.  Last night, I figured I’d stay in and watch some stories with her... or whatever.  We have a couple series on Netflix that we only watch together.  She says after the girls go to bed... “you’re not going to play in the shop?”  I respond “I figured you’d like me inside for a change.”  She says, “I see enough of you during the day now.  Go play.”

I felt like @squonk dancing on the spot!  :banana-dance::banana-linedance::banana-linedance::banana-wrench:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 8

WHX??
8 minutes ago, pullstart said:

allotted shop time

:laughing-rolling:

Now who allots your shop time!?!? May have to have a talk with her and get extended shop time and wel'' all come over and help..

Your welder will have Coronas on it then guaranteeeeeeddd ! :lol:

OIP2.jpg

• Haha 4

formariz
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

What’s the fun in buying something so well engineered when you can waste your entire allotted shop time building one?  No Coronas in my welder or electric bill!  :ph34r:

There is a special feeling one has when using tools or items one made. Independence and self reliance. Its not always about the money or effort used. Someone asked me once "why do you bother making those things when you can get them faster and cheaper ?". I simply replied " because I can".

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Heart 2

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:   Kevin,  Great job repurposing the C clamp.   Definitely more robust than the one I bought.

102_1495.JPG.85bdfa0613b5171d7aef78bfc1126ea0.JPG

Here are  some ideas for the rest of your builds.

102_1496.JPG.dddd48ece6385724e0338ddf3d66c7dd.JPG102_1498.JPG.65450fabd5019d9224b99eaa0ebf3372.JPG102_1499.JPG.dd85eafe3dc6597b70e8a3a12ed00e5a.JPG102_1500.JPG.b9b9bec6c102d39f0a753551e865d4b7.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
4 hours ago, WHX24 said:

This is one of the negative reviews on the $20 spring compressor.

Dec 11, 2019

toy tool

First time I tried to use it the valve keeper area popped off. I am working on V-8 engine. The jaws are bending apart. Piece of junk for engine work. As you can see in the picture the left claw for top of valve is bending after 1 try

• Like 2

squonk
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Dec 11, 2019

toy tool

First time I tried to use it the valve keeper area popped off. I am working on V-8 engine. The jaws are bending apart. Piece of junk for engine work. As you can see in the picture the left claw for top of valve is bending after 1 try

I have seen the top quality compressors bend. Valve springs can be nasty.

Kevin, I can't dance! ..................................:banana-linedance:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

WHX??
5 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Dec 11, 2019

toy tool

Don't take a rocket scientist to figure out this ain't exactly a high quality tool. Workin on V-8s or for a living or a motor thats worth some serious coin you best spend a tad more.

Not a problem for the hobbyists and the one maybe two Kohlers I do a year. Same goes for the dirt cheap piston ring thingy I got. Even then with ten thumbs I still manage to breakem... :lol:

6 hours ago, formariz said:

. I simply replied " because I can".

If that don't sound like @Achto... can't argue with that! :)

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Achto

Nice job on the spring compressor Kevin. I've gotten away with this style of compressor, left over from my days as a auto body tech.

s-l640.jpg.87ffd7739e11cbd8b8783e6298bb0067.jpg

Not exactly the best tool but it does work for small engines. One of these days I might have to purchase or make the correct tool.:)

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

gt14rider

Made this up , screwdriver wasn't doing it

20200402_185441.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
On 4/1/2020 at 9:53 AM, WHX24 said:

I have had a Snap-on OHV compressor similar to the one you linked to, but it is not my go-to on flat head engines. I have had this one for close to sixty years and it is the only way to go IMHO.

il_fullxfull.1105457836_g3b0.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
On 4/1/2020 at 12:30 PM, formariz said:

There is a special feeling one has when using tools or items one made. Independence and self reliance. Its not always about the money or effort used. Someone asked me once "why do you bother making those things when you can get them faster and cheaper ?". I simply replied " because I can".

I agree with that and we practice

Use what ya have. As often as possible. Trina even more so than me.

My father once asked a similar question about us and friends climbing mountains.

He said "Why would you do that?"

One of our buddies and I answered almost in unison... "Because it's there!"

Nothing quite so satisfying to a mind as the tactile feel of working with one's hands to build, make, improve etc...

• Excellent 2