Dan.gerous

Farm tractors

Stormin

Believe it or not. I'd never seen that. Yes you could roll them if you were really stupid. But I could round corners on two wheels with mine. One thing you couldn't do was wheelies.

3 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

Finally got a picture of the Kubota!

We had to cut down a tree branch so we can get a concrete truck into one of the sheds for the morning, there is a new floor going in.

I noticed the prep' behind the MF 35.

• Haha 1

Redneckdavis
On 7/19/2020 at 4:27 PM, Stormin said:

Curious. Do the Massey's share any parts with Ford's? 

And these are my 2 currently. I'm in the works on a 50's JD A also in exchange for painting his Farmall H. I had an Allis Chalmers d14 I had to sell bc guy didn't tell his wife it was sold. I used the money to get my 960. The 8n was my wife's great grandad's, it had been under a barn for the last 15yrs, fully restored, abandoned until I came along. 

KIMG0285.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Dan.gerous
4 hours ago, Redneckdavis said:

Curious. Do the Massey's share any parts with Ford's? 

And these are my 2 currently. I'm in the works on a 50's JD A also in exchange for painting his Farmall H. I had an Allis Chalmers d14 I had to sell bc guy didn't tell his wife it was sold. I used the money to get my 960. The 8n was my wife's great grandad's, it had been under a barn for the last 15yrs, fully restored, abandoned until I came along. 

KIMG0285.JPG

What was the reasoning behind the narrow front end on these? I can only assume it was something to do with going between rows of planted products.

Lovely couple of tractors, ours are quite rough in comparison!

No idea about parts compatibility, it's not uncommon I guess, shared research etc

• Like 1

ebinmaine
44 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

What was the reasoning behind the narrow front end on these? I can only assume it was something to do with going between rows of planted products

Yepp

• Thanks 1

Dan.gerous
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Yepp

And to make wheelies easier?

• Haha 1

Redneckdavis

Looks can be deceiving, the tricycleI has some bugs to still work out. Needs carb rebuilt bc it's runs like crap under a load. And they both have some funky stuff going on with the hydros.

Its always something.lol

Yep. Known as "row crop" tractor. That's either a narrow front or the ones with a really high front axle. When planted the lowest point will be your axle tubes

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

I've lived in or near farm country my entire life but never on a farm myself.

Here in New England a large farm to us is what you folks in the midwest would consider miniscule.

Because of the fact that the farms are not very large and many are not producing volumes of product for resale to the public, tractors are normally fairly inexpensive and capable of multiple tasks.

Very large tractors are rare here.

Also rare are the unconventional models like an Allis Chalmers G. Or a high crop.

In my travels for work or going up in the mountains for hiking we do occasionally see the big boys and the high crops if the timing is right but I never knew the AC G existed until a year or two ago. I got to see one a few weeks ago and a private collection at a place where I was delivering.

Fascinating machines, all of them.

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
15 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Very large tractors are rare here.

Also rare are the unconventional models like a Gravely G. Or a high crop. but I never knew the Gravely G existed until a year or two ago. 

Eric are you sure it's a Gravely? And not an Allis Chalmers? You are talking about I grew up on Cub Cadet L&G but AC was our "farm" tractors.

Screenshot_2020-07-29-05-58-48.png

Screenshot_2020-07-29-05-59-04.png

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
51 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

an Allis Chalmers?

Yes! Good catch Jeff. I'll go back and correct that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Redneckdavis

For some odd reason to me those Gs are very popular. Very, i see them at all the shows down here and usually carrying a 5k price tag.(I did see one on local CL or something for 2k unrestored last week) but I just couldn't see spending that on a deformed go cart when 3k or less will get you an 8n Ford with a few modern 3pt implements. 

There is about 3 kinds of farms here. Hobby 5ac, local farmers 100ac or a big corporation buyout with 1000ac.

I'm in Vidalia sweet onion country. 

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
13 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Yes! Good catch Jeff. I'll go back and correct that.

Here's the Allis Chalmers I was around growing up B and C series... These 2 are of the actual one I grew up on  pic 3 my dad on the C in a parade and pic 4 after we sold it 10 years ago... And of course in the last pic our Cub Cadet Original that's been in my family since 1977.

00E0E_h7I3Z7u7mt1_600x450.jpg

dscf4680.jpg

client_PART_1513037914088_IMAG3807.jpg

IMAG0421.jpg

Screenshot_20190720-222028.png

Screenshot_2020-06-03-20-22-02.png

Screenshot_2020-06-03-20-21-52.png

Screenshot_2020-06-03-20-21-38.png

client_PART_1545007857605_IMAG5498.jpg

• Heart 2

squonk

I got a 39 Allis B when my dad needed a tractor with mower to do his huge back yard that he insisted on mowing every week. He would spend 3 hrs on a Sears rider before that. I had to switch it over to electric start. Had to replace the center section for the starter hole. I was working at Napa so I got the starter,solenoid,switch from there. Friend welded up a nice battery box. I made a swivel seat out of a lunch counter stool and built steps so you could climb up the back sit down and spin around to the front. This was about 27 years ago. I got pictures in a drawer somewhere. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

tunahead72
1 hour ago, squonk said:

... I got pictures in a drawer somewhere. :rolleyes:

I got time. :popcorn:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

squonk
1 hour ago, tunahead72 said:

I got time. :popcorn:

You don't have the time it will take me to find them! :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

tunahead72
16 minutes ago, squonk said:

You don't have the time it will take me to find them! :lol:

Oh man, I hear that! :lol:

• Like 2

squonk

I found them!!! :banana-dance: They were in the first place I looked:) I only have pictures when I tore it apart. Nothing of the finished product. These were taken with a lousy camera circa 1995ish. My son in the pic was about 5 or 6. I had to replace the center section to accommodate the starter. About 30 miles from me was a tractor grave yard that had the section and flywheel with the ring gear. I also had to repair the leaking front seal and cover gasket. You can see the hand brakes in the last pic along with the cheezy box and chair that was the seat.

@tunahead72 In the pictures I also had a pic of my 69 Caprice before I put on the super whoopy Hercules HP4000 tires! I put it in the Corvairs thread! :banana-wrench:

dt1.jpeg.5f5a41061f3ff986e9a55d0658ba7f54.jpeg

dt5.jpeg.be7db60c86a0688395c7f3095a828391.jpeg

dt6.jpeg.98edebe018c94f939310ee7450d736e7.jpeg

dt4.jpeg.d55239601e7ef5471022f91ed2ecf11f.jpeg

dt2.jpeg.6dded5b555158b0a494af776831588d8.jpeg

dt3.jpeg.9b562013b52a1456327cca7bf392a9bb.jpeg

dt7.jpeg.804872ba38acb785ba98c83b28f87005.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

My great grandfather bought the farms first tractor new in 1939 an A.C. B  and what was left of it stayed with my dad until we sold them both about 10 years ago... The C above and the B basically a parts rig both were battery ignition by the time I was old enough to remember.

• Like 1

squonk

This B's mag threw a spark almost a foot long! :jaw::bow-blue:

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine

@WVHillbilly520H that's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing. 

@Stepney check out the above article and see the pic with the Farmall Cub. 

• Thanks 1

Stepney

I've got this little guy, just bought it recently. This is a 1949 Farmall Cub. 
Used to have a slightly older Cub, 1948, which was a show piece. We also had a Massey Harris 81 trike, and a 1954 MH Pony. 

Worked on many, many others through time int he tractor club. Fired on the footplate of a Case steamer, ran a few Olivers, a Silver King, etc..

fullsizeoutput_9a9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
Just now, Stepney said:

I've got this little guy, just bought it recently. This is a 1949 Farmall Cub. 
Used to have a slightly older Cub, 1948, which was a show piece. We also had a Massey Harris 81 trike, and a 1954 MH Pony. 

Worked on many, many others through time int he tractor club. Fired on the footplate of a Case steamer, ran a few Olivers, a Silver King, etc..

fullsizeoutput_9a9.jpeg

Now that's a pic...

Very nice Sir. 

• Like 1

Dan.gerous

Finally got a couple of photographs of the last tractor on the farm.

This belongs to our 72 year old part time farm hand, it often goes out on hay runs to stretch it's legs but none of us are allowed to drive!

IMG_20200811_183815.jpg

IMG_20200811_183824.jpg

Edited by Dan.gerous
  • Like 2

Stormin

I used to borrow one of those Internationals from the farm across from where I used to live. Great little tractor. :thumbs:

• Like 1

ACman

What a beautiful sunset...this was the other night when they finished chopping hay next door . It’s the the neighbors Allis Chalmers 7580 with a Cummins 8.1L upgrade .

D4C59812-5DB1-40BA-9B74-570675D4970A.jpeg.dc8159e58acd854fb1ee604f07b07729.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1