Sparky

Side shot Saturday... AND SUNDAY !

peter lena

@TJ5208  enhance the lubrication to those pillow block bearings ,regularly tow my lawn spikers , stay after  the easy rolling . pete

• Like 1

AlexR
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

@AlexR what's that hood ornament? 

Carved wood ornament I made to match the one I made for my 73 12-8

IMG_20230819_164938097.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

AlexR
3 hours ago, D_Mac said:

20230901_194442.jpg

20230826_171327.jpg

I didn't know Wheelhorse made bicycles. Learn something new every day.. It is cool!! 

• Like 2

D_Mac
16 minutes ago, AlexR said:

I didn't know Wheelhorse made bicycles. Learn something new every day.. It is cool!! 

They really don't make them. I built the bike and @Vinylguymade the head badge. But shhhhh... its our secert.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

AlexR
1 hour ago, D_Mac said:

They really don't make them. I built the bike and @Vinylguymade the head badge. But shhhhh... its our secert.

Well you did a great job! And I couldn't tell it wasn't Wheelhorse because vinylguy made such a great badge for it. :bow-blue:

• Like 1

TonyToro Jr.

All loaded up headed to the haddam neck fair tomorrow!

9E123C9E-09A9-487B-8577-A77998446B5E.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 5

Jayoutdoors
43 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

SAM-1722-2.jpg

nice collection!

• Like 3

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, Jayoutdoors said:

nice collection!

Agreed on. 

Don has a couple neat ones there with the Briggs swaps too.  

• Like 3

Handy Don
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Agreed on. 

Don has a couple neat ones there with the Briggs swaps too.  

Agreed. The Vanguards OHVs seem like a natural Onan replacement.

• Like 1

wallfish
9 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Honda makes a super reliable engine. (Expensive, but super reliable) WISH I never sold that 520 with a 20 hp GX620 Honda and 2 stage. That thing was a beast and should've sold the one with the Onan. 

• Like 4

kpinnc
On 9/3/2023 at 1:30 PM, Handy Don said:

I think they work well for any brand engine. Mine run smoother than my Onan on the 520, drink less gas, and have excellent power. 

Thier only quirk is having the same carburetor as an Onan. 

davem1111
19 hours ago, wallfish said:

Honda makes a super reliable engine. (Expensive, but super reliable) WISH I never sold that 520 with a 20 hp GX620 Honda and 2 stage. That thing was a beast and should've sold the one with the Onan. 

I'm very happy with the GX610 on my GT-1848.  The only problem is that the PO or whoever re-powered it, mounted the engine on PT 2x4's, which are showing their age. Need to get some tube steel under it. Should I get some rubber spacers for shock absorption?  I have the hood off right now for other reasons, but should probably fix this soon before the engine ends up on its side on the ground....

image.png.7eec3211b8309ac02153e03a51069a22.png

ebinmaine
42 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

Should I get some rubber spacers for shock absorption? 

IMHO..... No.  

Leave directly bolted.   

43 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

I have the hood off right now

Try out a "spare"  hood for  fit.   

• Thanks 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, davem1111 said:

I'm very happy with the GX610 on my GT-1848.  The only problem is that the PO or whoever re-powered it, mounted the engine on PT 2x4's, which are showing their age. Need to get some tube steel under it. Should I get some rubber spacers for shock absorption?  I have the hood off right now for other reasons, but should probably fix this soon before the engine ends up on its side on the ground....

Unless some failing of the wood mount (rot, motor shifting, bolt holes wallowing, bolts loosening, etc.) is driving the change, you could, IMHO, leave the wood.

Rubber will likely disappoint you, as it deteriorates from vibration (and probably from fuel and oil) and can cause the engine to shift under load. Also, unless you it’s matched by damping frequency to this application, it won’t do much for the vibration anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

davem1111
12 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Unless some failing of the wood mount (rot, motor shifting, bolt holes wallowing, bolts loosening, etc.) is driving the change, you could, IMHO, leave the wood.

Rubber will likely disappoint you, as it deteriorates from vibration (and probably from fuel and oil) and can cause the engine to shift under load. Also, unless you it’s matched by damping frequency to this application, it won’t do much for the vibration anyway.

Hmmm... I guess there's nothing critical going on that would force my hand in replacing the wood. It looks like it may be cracking and deteriorating in some places, but the engine isn't "loose".  It does seem to move a bit when I engage the PTO, but everything still works fine. Guess I'll leave it alone for now. Maybe a winter project, and if I'm going to lift the engine I will most likely want to do some more intense cleaning and repainting if needed.

13 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

IMHO..... No.  

Leave directly bolted.   

Try out a "spare"  hood for  fit.   

Hah!  Yes, I do have a much nicer hood to put on it now (with louvers), plus I have some new hinge brackets and nylon bushings so the hood won't be slopping around. I still need to decide if I want to return this to its original gray color... my wife says "BORING!" so I may get a wild hair and paint it purple or something like that.  We shall see.

• Like 2

rjg854
15 hours ago, Sparky said:

Mowed for the first time ever with a gear drive deck on an old short frame (867 with a 32”RD).

Took quite a bit longer but I really enjoyed it! 

Of late I've been mowing with my '68 Commando 8 with a 36" gear drive deck.  I like the cut better than the C160 with a 42", rear discharge recycler deck.

• Like 1

Lee1977
16 hours ago, davem1111 said:

I have never chacked out a 610 Honda or the Briggs that was on it but a inch and a half rise seem a little high, but might not be. The Honda 610 PTO height is 5 1/4" can not find the Briggs height. An Onan is 7" above the frame inncluding the 1/4" plate below, so 6 3/4 " might be right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bo dawg
On 9/2/2023 at 8:35 AM, D_Mac said:

My 5 Horses.

20220221_133309.jpg

20220221_133239.jpg

what size is the small hub caps on the rear wheels and where do you get them?

D_Mac

They came on a different tractor I bought. They didn't fit very good. I add to make some rubber pieces to get them to stay on. They are about 1/4 inch from fitting snug to the inside of the wheel. If you zoom in on the top pic you can see my rubber spacers.

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 3

Sparky

After a great meet/greet up at @JCM Jim’s in Maine yesterday it’s time to get the mud and crud off the two rigs that cruised the trails. 
  My new Stihl electric pressure washer to the rescue :handgestures-thumbupright:

IMG_9875.jpeg

IMG_9876.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 4