Larry P.

What gets painted on the engine?

Larry P.

Hello,  I'm in the process of doing a full restoration of a 1976 C160 8 speed.  Currently the frame is painted Wheelhorse Red and the K341 motor has just been rebuilt.  I am what you would call Mr. Stock.  I like everything to look just like the day it rolled out of the factory.  My question is, besides the engine block being painted high temperature red, what other parts get painted and what color ??  For example does the carburetor get painted red,  the coil, the flywheel, fuel pump,etc….  Also I've seen some flywheel cover screens painted red and others black.   Thank you for your time,  Larry P.

WHX??

:WRS: Larry

2 minutes ago, Larry P. said:

what you would call Mr. Stock. 

Nothing wrong with that at all far as anybody here is concerned.

Problem being is if you weren't there in South Bend in 1976 or the original owner who knows what is painted what as original what with the things that have been done by PO's over the years. I've seen carbs and fuel pumps come painted but then again plain. All in all the carbs & pumps and were mostly plain tho. Some ignition coils are red some are black. A good rule of thumb would be every thing red except for the carb and pump and coil. Can't go wrong there as long as it's red! 

Flywheels were never painted and K series screens that were black were almost certainly done by a PO. For the most part the entire motor was shot red. Gotta remember in the day to save money they weren't going to monkey around with different colors.

The partially assembled motors were all hanging on a moving  conveyor belt at Kohler and whirled by a paint gun wielding guy who was going to shoot them whatever color the paint line was set up for that day. What came out what depended on the assembly stage of the motor and what spec # they were building.  Pretty  much bet on one color tho. 

Others will be along to welcome and offer help. They are not going to be as nice as me tho they are gonna demand some :text-coolphotos: so be warned! :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

bottjernat1

I painted everything but the head on my k91 

FB_IMG_1545611404037.jpg

IMG_20200201_143604905.jpg

• Like 1

JCM

This is a pic of a 1977 C-120 that I bought from the original owner and good friend. I did replace the coil which I still have and was red. The only items that were painted after I bought it are the wheels, seat back, seat mount and front of the rear hubs Regal Red. Hope this helps and good luck with the restoration.    Great Tractor.

Jims Camera uploaded 2019 Nov 120.JPG

Jims Camera uploaded 2019 Nov 117.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine

Looks like the boys above have got you covered so I'm just going to say welcome to Red square!

Pullstart

:text-welcomewave: @Larry P.!

I do everything by the book too...

EE994FC9-D756-459E-B941-18D022151CA3.jpeg

4BB2D6F0-5DF2-4A07-A6A5-E86F7D568CEE.jpeg

407818CA-BD16-4479-864D-BA1DD84BED97.jpeg

2F1B0A6F-B127-4502-85C8-D42A5F30B3B6.jpeg

A5D9DB99-4373-415B-8E9E-A0407303C6A0.jpeg

• Haha 5

JCM

@Larry P.     Found another pic of the 77    C-120  upon delivery with it's original paint for you.

P1012666.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib

Imo l would not paint the carb . Paint can gum up the adjustment screws and possibly get where paint shouldnt be 

l paint my motors black and then ad a 

few red accents here and there.

:text-welcomeconfetti:TO :rs:

:wwp:

WHX??
19 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

Paint can gum up the adjustment screws

Surmised that's why they were never painted Cribs.

That mill is a work of art right there Larry! :handgestures-thumbupright:

That would have had the tins & pan put on and down the paint line she would have sailed. I also believe they would have left the guv retainer & pto end off or capped it for above said reasons. They probably had a nifty cap to slide right over the brass nut & crank. 

Gotta like those custom pedal extensions for the short inseam fellas but there went your "stock" right out the window! :ychain:

• Haha 2

Pullstart
34 minutes ago, Larry P. said:

Front Wheels Painted.jpg

Hey @ebinmaine how come your ME paint departments never wear shoes?

Larry P.

HAHA.  Thanks WHX24.  I didn't even realize that those were pedal extensions.  They will be coming off tonight.  Good catch on that !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??
3 minutes ago, Larry P. said:

those were pedal extensions.

Tastefully done tho… Couple of the clowns here would have just duct taped some blocks to them and told their young'uns to go mow!  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine
30 minutes ago, pullstart said:

He's from Massachusetts. Must be a New England thing.

:D

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Red is good...

Edited by SylvanLakeWH

WHNJ701
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

Trina is smart she can paint rims and her toe nails at the same time without going to the beauty shop, unless it's @ebinmaine toes................

• Haha 5

Herder

Red with a clean cylinder head, fuel pump, carb is my preference.  It keeps a somewhat stock look.  Cylinder heads and carburetors are air cooled and paint takes away from that.   

20181110_125337.jpg.7aa3927bf3ad9d1249ee45bfb1b62db8.jpg20181110_125306.jpg.37d996425d9cb288728e58773e2fa066.jpg20181117_114729.jpg.db479df7a5bdb9e1fcfd97e2e04a6cb8.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3

WHX??

That's a sharp lookin one right ther Herder... sawweet:handgestures-thumbupright:. @Achto says never paint heads either...

• Like 1

Larry P.

Herder, You got the look.  I'm going with that.  thanks for all your help everyone.  

• Like 3

Larry P.

By the way,  I had to sell my shoes and mortgage my home to pay for the high cost of the engine machine shop work and rebuild.  As you can see in the pictures of the before and after, the original K341 was found buried in a junkyard.  I had to literally dig it up.  It was like finding gold.  Final rebuild looks pretty darn good.

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0332.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 3

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Larry P. said:

had to sell my shoes and mortgage my home

:ROTF:

953 nut

:WRS:

One of your best resources for restoration information is the sales brochures for that year and model. Take a look at these.

• Like 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, Larry P. said:

Final rebuild looks pretty darn good.

Wow ...yes it does! I don't think I would have tackled that one for love nor money. You ever decide to do one like that again we'd sure love to tag along. 

I notice the carcass has the balance gears in it. Did you use them or leave them out? Most engine builders here leave them out for fear of future issues. 

• Like 1

Larry P.

Hi Jim,

Balance gears were left out when the rebuild was done.

• Excellent 3

Larry P.

One last question.  Can I use the Rustoleum Regal Red for the starter and Air Cleaner or should I paint them duplicolor 500 degree High Temp Red ?