rmaynard

Building A New Pole Shed For The Horses

Achto
8 minutes ago, pullstart said:

“Build your barn twice as big as you think you need, then in three years it’ll be half as big as you need,”

These words usually are true. :D

• Like 2

stevebo

There is NEVER enough room.... 

• Like 3

rmaynard
22 minutes ago, stevebo said:

There is NEVER enough room.... 

So the barn is full and you are looking to expand????

WHNJ701
On 2/23/2020 at 4:13 PM, rmaynard said:

Nope. It's a pole building. Poles go up, building is built, stone is placed inside, concrete poured.

that's how my parents was built, after it was up they ran a skirt board then stone than poured the slab 

WHNJ701
On 2/24/2020 at 10:55 AM, WVHillbilly520H said:

Good luck with the building project... But are you sure 18x20 is big enough? here's mine from start (2017) to this year 1 Mahindra eMax, 1 Cub Cadet Original , 1 Suzuki ATV, 3 Wheel Horse, 1 lawn cart , 1 lawn sweeper, all the sleeve hitch implements 3 mower decks and 3 chain saws and mortar mixer... I think I might be able to walk between 1 or 2 things :eusa-think: Of course doors would be a nice addition.

IMAG3306.jpg

IMAG3307.jpg

IMAG3322.jpg

IMAG3424.jpg

20200106_171953.jpg

is that made by Carolina carport or similar, I was thinking about something to put up.  what size is that?

WVHillbilly520H
14 minutes ago, jabelman said:

is that made by Carolina carport or similar, I was thinking about something to put up.  what size is that?

Yes Carolina Carport 18wx21L 8 ft wall and snow and wind rated as well I think I gave $2400.

• Like 1

rmaynard

UPDATE: Right on schedule. At 6:45 a.m. this morning, building materials were delivered. Since it had been raining most of the night, the driver didn't wan't to risk damage to my yard, or his truck, so he dropped everything in the driveway, and under my deck.

delivery.jpg.bfe287f489daccb05fa026c2db99edac.jpg

delivery2.jpg.e763c2f742fe499cbc740c9e1f0ff1bd.jpg

Construction is scheduled to begin March 5.

• Like 5

tunahead72

Nice, my kind of delivery guy! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

WHNJ701
On 2/25/2020 at 6:51 PM, WVHillbilly520H said:

Yes Carolina Carport 18wx21L 8 ft wall and snow and wind rated as well I think I gave $2400.

sorry not trying to go off topic!  any complaints about it?  did you install it?  last time I looked at these they were including free assembly on site, they seem pretty decent from what people have told me.

rmaynard

UPDATED UPDATE: Construction now moved up to Monday 3/2.

• Like 5

stevebo
On 2/25/2020 at 2:18 PM, rmaynard said:

So the barn is full and you are looking to expand????

Yup.... Barn is full but no expansion plans. 

• Like 2

rmaynard
1 hour ago, jabelman said:

sorry not trying to go off topic!  any complaints about it?  did you install it?  last time I looked at these they were including free assembly on site, they seem pretty decent from what people have told me.

My take on Carolina Carports. When I first started kicking around the idea of a metal building, I almost chose Alan's Factory Outlet. I decided on an 18 x 21 metal building constructed on a concrete pad. I would have to install the concrete pad prior to them delivering and erecting the building. Their requirement was that the pad be 18 x 20. 18 x 20 was the actual footprint of the building with a 6" roof overhang on the ends. This is where my issues began. Luckily, my concrete guy could not start until mid December. I say luckily because had he built me an 18 x 20 pad, I would have been out of luck. You see, Carolina Carports is the company that erects these buildings for Alan's in my area. Carolina Carports engineers decided that too many buildings were failing because the concrete would crack when the fasteners were installed 1-1/2" from the edge of the concrete pad. So, as a result they change their specs for the pad saying that it needed to be 6" wider than the building on all four sides. This meant that the pad for an 18 x 20 building had to be 19 x 21. So, when I contacted Alan's about final details, they told me to build a 19 x 21 pad. I asked, "so if the building sides come down and rest on the concrete, what keeps rainwater from coming under the walls"? They told me that I would have to slope the floor 3" over the 20 foot length so the water would run out the overhead door. I told them that since that sounded like kindergarten engineering, they could forget an order from me. That's when I changed the plan to a pole building. Building goes up, concrete is poured after it's done.

Now let me say that if you are thinking of a Carolina Carport erected on the ground or gravel, you probably won't have any issues. However, make sure that you read all the fine print. I have heard that if your building/carport is built more than 50 feet from your driveway or easy access to the site, there is an additional charge.

WVHillbilly520H
8 hours ago, jabelman said:

Carolina has contractors to install their buildings (a group of 3 guys in my case) that's included in the price (free assembly), my first one was on asphalt with just rebar through the ground support s this one on the ground with mobile home anchors and I put asphalt millings in instead of gravel Which could be poured with concrete eventually and mine is every bit 100'+ from my driveway and no extra charge for delivery/erection biggest thing they complain about is NO ELECTRICITY outlets nearby (50-75')... Only thing I would have changed was actually springing for 2 roll up garage doors and a single entry door but I will eventually put up my own doors.  Here's a satellite image of my property and the white roof to the left of the house is the last carport/building I had put up for the tractors.

Screenshot_2020-02-27-16-21-26.png

Edited by WVHillbilly520H

shallowwatersailor

Bob, good to see the new home for the tractors. I hope that you don't find that barns/sheds are like boats with two-foot-itis!  :)  I now wish that my 10' x 12' shed was 12' x 18'. 

One thing that I will suggest is that you might want to hire an arborist to check any overhanging limbs. At my house in MD we had a carport that the previous owner had installed due to the oak tree and the acorns. They grew tired of the "hail" damage. During my ownership, the carport took three hits with limbs during the derecho and hurricanes. It would tear the aluminum sheeting and and then leave holes. The poor tree only had two limbs left 80' in the air and facing away. When I went to sell the house two years ago, the realtor told me to scrap it than try to use it as a selling point. 

Good luck with the new addition!

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 3

Marv
On 2/25/2020 at 9:41 AM, pullstart said:

I think it was @Achto Dan who said it best...  “Build your barn twice as big as you think you need, then in three years it’ll be half as big as you need,” or something like that.

I think we all feel that. Built mine big enough, 28 X 60. Now I need to get rid of stuff to make it big enough.

Marv

• Like 1

Bigtrx34
On 2/24/2020 at 1:28 PM, rmaynard said:

I hope to put a large "shelf" in the rear to run tractors under, then stack some of the smaller ones on the shelf, similar to what @stevebo did.

strevebo_pic.jpg.097c368ca91afac47bef0aa987c94bdd.jpg

Oh my, I don't consider myself a jealous person but dang I think I just got a hint of that bone. Both the tractors and the building. Very very nice!

• Like 1

tunahead72

It's even more impressive when you watch along as it's being built.  There's a thread here somewhere, right @stevebo ?

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Hey Bob, glad I looked in on the site and spotted your build thread. Will be following along. Best of luck, its nice to get "your own space". Cant wait to see it. 

Glenn

Mickwhitt

I agree there is never enough space.

We seem to expand to take up as much space as we can.

But hey, everyone needs a hobby.

Back to my under house build if the doorway is passed on monday.

Good luck with the build

Mick 

rmaynard

UPDATE: Monday morning 7:00 a.m.

IMG_20200302_072159676.jpg.051313f67fc84fade60c7c203148c33b.jpg

Crew arrived on schedule.

• Like 5

rmaynard

Ten holes in less than 15 minutes. That's amazing. Thumbs up for big toys. Next we have to wait for inspection of the depth of the footers.

holes.jpg.588f891744c77cb4c0992e739e46c54d.jpg

Amazing. Building inspector was here already and signed off. 

sign-off.jpg.36720202f71e668e6fe3800aa32eb2bb.jpg

Next is concrete in the holes. 

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2

tunahead72

Are they done yet, Bob? :)

rmaynard
32 minutes ago, tunahead72 said:

Are they done yet, Bob? :)

setting_posts.jpg.33af476db657f938f170c389efd8273a.jpg

Might be done framing by the end of the day. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

rmaynard

All poles are set.

IMG_20200302_103438007.jpg.b44f6c7e87c507c0ab32a1897ca97364.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

rmaynard

Trusses are set.

trusses.jpg.9a8e0eaa77f785a79953d3134c09e69f.jpg

more_trusses.jpg.9d7734336cd70e60ba757a9236f5fef8.jpg

• Like 3