Tonyp

Winch and a Tractor for LIFT. Work on the bottom !

Tonyp

About two years ago I added a 2500 ib capacity Winch in  the Rafters of my outside garage.  The primary purpose was for mower deck maintenance.  I built a small rolling table, lifted the deck and placed it on the rolling table and  did whatever 

The Winch was $50 and it is a 12V dc unit, I use the batter charger to power it.    It is secured to the rafters in the garage with  5/8 bolts with Lock nuts. 

Last week I had a part break on the C81 underneath.    Now what. I get vertigo and I can't lie on my back looking up. Plus thats a drag anyway, laying on your back looking up in a very confined space. 

AHHH..I got an idea !   ... Winch !  

I drained the oil into a clean jar, ( for re-use , it only has 5 hours on it )  pumped out the gas with my $10 Harbor Freight pump , ok now I'm ready.   But first I added a safety chain next to the Winch in the Rafters. 

With the tractor in gear, the  WInch tied to the front axle, and  up it went . Man that was easy.  I secured the safety chain, also added two 2x4's for support  which ultimately I didn't need  . I removed one while working.

The safety chain ain't going anywhere so extra 2x4's for security are not needed.  The Winch Wire with the heavy duty Safety Chain are  plenty  safe.   Who knows maybe I'll still use an extra  2x4 as well in the future. We can never be TOO SAFE  .

Working  on the bottom of the tractor is now a thing of beauty !   I also used one of those small  FREE with purchase Harbor Freight work lights to light up the work area. 

With work complete, I let the  tractor down, refilled the oil, added some gas and went on my merry way.     

Just a thought

tp 

Oh yeah, when the Tractor is in the LIFT position ,(UP)  remove power from the Winch. 

winch a.jpg

winch B.jpg

Edited by Tonyp
  • Like 9

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, Tonyp said:

We can never be TOO SAFE

Never enough redundancy in that statement.

I have a chain falls for engines and transmissions.

Sooooo handy.....

• Like 3

Oldskool

Good use of that winch. and yes never can be too safe. I use a fold up engine crane or a chain fall myselfl

• Like 1

Oldskool

@Tonyp  I just looked at your pic again. How is your winch mounted to the rafter?

• Like 1

8ntruck

Did any trans fluid leak out of the trans dipstick?

The trans fill/dipstick port on my 14-8 is near the rear right hand corner of the trans.  Not sure where the oil level in the trans would be with the tractor at that angle.

• Like 3

Tonyp

No trans oil leak, there isn't all that much down there anyway. The tranny dipstick shoot is pretty long, 8 inches or so. 

The Winch came with a Steel multi mount, its bolted to the Steel mount and the  Steel  mount is secured to the   rafters with 5/8 bolts and lock nuts . Its pretty darn secure !   

I could have had slightly less angle on the lift for the tractor I suppose.  The tractor sat for probably 15 minutes level while rte-filling fluids which is plenty of time for the tranny lube to return  back home ! 

The initial work task for the LIFT is for DECK maintenance.  Lifting those puppies up to a rolling work table  is quite a beautiful thing !   

Hope all this helps

tp

Edited by Tonyp
  • Like 1

Pullstart
39 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Did any trans fluid leak out of the trans dipstick?

The trans fill/dipstick port on my 14-8 is near the rear right hand corner of the trans.  Not sure where the oil level in the trans would be with the tractor at that angle.

I was wondering that myself.

good work @Tonyp!

Tonyp

posted response above