troutbum70

Wheel horse electro 12 automatic

troutbum70

I have been negotiating a price on the electro 12, two parts that I am unfamiliar with the Sundstrand and the electric clutch. First the owner is still above my comfort zone on price, he is at $375.00. HE says it runs fine no smoke and  moves no problem. Tires are questionable, needs a battery. I have an eaton 1100 if the Sundstrand turned out to be bad can I put the eaton in its place? If the electric clutch was bad can it be rebuild, are they still available at a very high price I am sure, or can it be switch to a manual belt clutch? I know a lot of questions, just wondering about the good, bad or ugly. It does have one of the nice seats where the seat and back are separate and what looks like 4 fairly nice wheel horse hub caps chrome with the horse emblem Oh and it comes with two mower decks that each need a spindle and some welding, I am sure I could make one good one out of the two.

ZXT
14 minutes ago, troutbum63 said:

I have been negotiating a price on the electro 12, two parts that I am unfamiliar with the Sundstrand and the electric clutch. First the owner is still above my comfort zone on price, he is at $375.00. HE says it runs fine no smoke and  moves no problem. Tires are questionable, needs a battery. I have an eaton 1100 if the Sundstrand turned out to be bad can I put the eaton in its place? If the electric clutch was bad can it be rebuild, are they still available at a very high price I am sure, or can it be switch to a manual belt clutch? I know a lot of questions, just wondering about the good, bad or ugly. It does have one of the nice seats where the seat and back are separate and what looks like 4 fairly nice wheel horse hub caps chrome with the horse emblem Oh and it comes with two mower decks that each need a spindle and some welding, I am sure I could make one good one out of the two.

Can't speak for the Eaton swap, but the electric clutch can definitely be swapped for a manual belt clutch with the right parts. 

If the seat you're describing is what I'm thinking of, it's a fairly expensive seat, especially if its in good shape. Hub caps aren't cheap either. You might have the asking price of the tractor right here.

If you can put a battery on it and see how it runs and moves, and the tractor itself is in good shape, I wouldn't say that's a terribly unreasonable price. You can always negotiate!

Edited by ZXT
  • Like 1

Stepney

In my area even junk WH brings more than that kind of money.. market varies.

I'm partial to the E12's as I grew up on one. Very easy to switch to a manual clutch but the electric rarely fails. Eaton swap .. I mean it may be possible but that is a LOT of re-engineering when the Sunny would likely be serviceable or atleast rebuild-able.
If the lift works well, it drives well when warmed up, and the engine sounds healthy, there isn't much to go wrong. Great machine on snowy and muddy surfaces with the limited slip diff. 

• Like 2

troutbum70

Okay tnx STEPNEY I did not think there would be that much difference between the eaton and the sundstrand as far as hooking to tractor. And I guess the electric clutch would power a snow blower no problem. Not sure how I would make out on rebuilding the sundstrand, it would require a real learning curve on my part hi hi. And with the cold weather not sure I could get the transmission warm enough to detect any real slippage, maybe find a tree to try and push over and see hi hi.

troutbum70

ZXT based on the pictures he sent the sheet metal all looks pretty strait, the seat looks in good shape and the hub caps look pretty good, its about 30 miles away and I have not gone to physically look at it yet. Still going to try and get the price down some, if I  had to put 4 tires and a new battery which I know it needs I would have the price of the tractor in that stuff. Thank you for your input.

troutbum70

Here is a picture of the elctro 12.

PSX_20200123_000319.jpg

• Like 1

Cvans

It's got the hydraulic lift system and that's desirable in it's self. If the engine runs good it would be hard for me to fault his price. From my experience that hydro is a very durable. Shouldn't make much in the way of noise when running. 

troutbum70

Okay Cvans yes and the hydro lift was appealing to me if it all works well. I am a tinkerer, but don't want to get into any major rebuilds. But clearly understand it is around 50 years old, so who knows what could go south.

953 nut

At $ 375 that baby would be on my trailer in a heartbeat!     Take a good battery and some fresh gas along and drive it around before buying it.

The Eaton swap to replace a Sundstrand has been well documented by @19richie66 when he did it on a GT-14, would be the same on an Electro except you wouldn't need to change axles.

• Like 2

19richie66

The linkage is different on the sunstrand and the eaton. Not saying it can’t be done but you would need all the motion control assembly from and eaton 1100 equipped machine like a 417/418/520

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

This topic should be moved  This forum is for Electric (Battery powered) horses

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

If you can get it running and driving with a new battery and starter fluid, chain it to your vehicle and see if the tranny will spin the tires.    If it won't,  you should be able to negotiate the price down.      As stated above, it has parts worth the asking price.

lift cyl and valve  $100

hub caps            $200

electric PTO       $100

Seat                   $100

• Like 2

troutbum70

First and for most I want to apologize for placing my query in the wrong category, I did not realize WH had built a battery operated tractor. I assumed the electro 12 would fall in that slot, so thank you to every ones comments. Richie66 I do have a 417A roller with all linkages and such, but looking the pictures of your project it is not just a simple swap of all parts. And Ed I have considered the value of the parts you listed among others. I wiil move my next question to the wheel horse tractors slot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Stepney

I also notice this one has a factory front implement hitch add on. That's a big bonus for running anything built from 1973 to 2006.. so your running newer decks. More easily available and less breakable linkage than the original design. 
If I could find an E12 here for that price I'd be all over it. 

troutbum70

Yes my old commando 800 has the newer mule drive also, I have decided not to grab it. It's been for sale since last fall I thought by now he might take a little less, but so far he has not budged. So I guess he has some knowledge of what he has, and if it's a good one I don't blame him for standing his ground.

ZXT
On 1/23/2020 at 3:48 PM, troutbum63 said:

Yes my old commando 800 has the newer mule drive also, I have decided not to grab it. It's been for sale since last fall I thought by now he might take a little less, but so far he has not budged. So I guess he has some knowledge of what he has, and if it's a good one I don't blame him for standing his ground.

He isn't budging any because it's worth what he's asking. The seat and caps are worth a good chunk. From the pictures, the tires look like they're holding air - which means it doesn't need tires. If anything, it needs $50 worth of tubes put in. Also hints that it hasn't been sitting all that long. I don't see how you could get hurt on it.

I'm saying this as I'm debating on whether or not to buy a $50 D200 that popped up on FB marketplace.. I sent the lady a message but no response as of yet. 

troutbum70

Yep I am pretty sure you and everyone else are correct, it has amenities that are worth the asking price. I hope to go look it over some time this coming week if I can. Back in the early part of last summer a what I think was a very good looking 704 came up on letgo very close to home, asking price $125.00 I tried and tried to make contact never did and then it just disappeared off letgo.    

• Like 1

Sparky
On 1/23/2020 at 10:30 AM, troutbum63 said:

First and for most I want to apologize for placing my query in the wrong category, I did not realize WH had built a battery operated tractor. I wiil move my next question to the wheel horse tractors slot.

No problem at all...I’ll move the whole topic for ya :handgestures-thumbupright:

troutbum70

Thank you 

• Like 1