ebinmaine

"past it"?

ebinmaine

Saw this boat sitting in a yard of an unoccupied home earlier. Funny thing is, it's up on stands.... Toooooo.... Keep it off the ground??

IMG_20200121_085556470_HDR.jpg.b16920012c8b228cf0b2834930f227aa.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Sad 2

The Tuul Crib

Sure is a shame that it sitting out in the weather like that. It appears to be wood is that right?

• Sad 1

WHNJ701

there was a wood boat that sat by a house for years on my way to work.  I was always wanting to stop and try to buy it, like I needed another hobby.  then one day I drove by it and the dude was out there with a chainsaw cutting it up.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, The Tool Crib said:

Sure is a shame that it sitting out in the weather like that. It appears to be wood is that right?

Many many moons ago it probably was made out of wood.

I agree that it's a shame but it's important to remember that this is the state of Maine. Ocean and thousands upon thousands of lakes rivers streams and ponds. There's gaggles and gaggles and gaggles of boats permanently parked.

Oddly enough considering the environment we live in they are actually kind of difficult to get rid of.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

The Tuul Crib
1 hour ago, jabelman said:

there was a wood boat that sat by a house for years on my way to work.  I was always wanting to stop and try to buy it, like I needed another hobby.  then one day I drove by it and the dude was out there with a chainsaw cutting it up.  

Hence the term day late and a dollar short!

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Many many moons ago it probably was made out of wood.

I agree that it's a shame but it's important to remember that this is the state of Maine. Ocean and thousands upon thousands of lakes rivers streams and ponds. There's gaggles and gaggles and gaggles of boats permanently parked.

Oddly enough considering the environment we live in they are actually kind of difficult to get rid of.

Was years ago that I run across an old wooden boat. But it was if I remember correctly a Chris-Craft and for some reason I didn't buy it but now I think back on it I wish I would have because they have held their value if in good shape

• Like 3

Achto
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

IMG_20200121_085556470_HDR.jpg.b16920012c8b228cf0b2834930f227aa.jpg

Looks like a perfectly good boat, just needs a little lumber.:D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

wallfish

Fix it with Flex seal,

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 7

Ed Kennell

New display shelf for the living room.

Image result for boat display shelf pic

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

Stepney

Agree on the hard to get rid of part.. most of them just require way more cash hen their restored value to get seaworthy again.

I had a 1958 Wizard Bolero Phaeton 16' fiberglass boat. Tailfins and all. About 6 tons of chrome. Had a 6cyl Mercury on the stern. 

I didn't keep it long after I priced out a complete restoration.. steering was gone, motor needed complete overhaul, needed all the woodwork replaced.. yikes.

I see more half decent free boats around..

• Like 1

D_Mac

I had an old Herters Yukon fiberglass fishing boat few years back. Was happy when I bought it but like all boat owners was even happier when I sold it. Any of you guys remember Herters? They had anything and everything in sporting goods.

• Like 1

Cvans

As a kid I spent many hours looking through the Herters catalog. Dad would go through his fishing gear and put in an order every spring. Too bad the kids ran the business into the ground. If I remember correctly they tried to turn it into an outdoor apparel store. 

image.jpeg.4f84018055cafc73e50dc201ba4d7496.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Cvans

D_Mac

I used to love going through catalogs as a kid. Was better then a comic book.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Herters was the supplier for hunters, fisherman, and trappers.    I still have glass eye spoons, turkey and squirrel calls, and a varichoke on a 37 Ithica.

• Like 1

Mows4three

:My dad and I used to love it when the Herter’s Catalog arrived.   He ordered bamboo fishing rod supplies from them and built fly rods for me, our neighbor and some of the guys he worked for.   I remember the jig he built to hold the rods while he wrapped the guides onto the shaft of the rods and how much he fussed over getting them perfectly aligned.  Wow.   That takes me back.   

Dave

• Excellent 2

Ed Kennell

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 1:01 AM, Cvans said:

. If I remember correctly they tried to turn it into an outdoor apparel store. 

image.jpeg.4f84018055cafc73e50dc201ba4d7496.jpeg

image.jpeg

Pretty much happened to all the USA outdoor suppliers, LL Bean, Gander Mt., Dicks....stock them with cheap imported clothing.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Pretty much happened to all the USA outdoor suppliers, LL Bean, .

I remember when L.L.Bean was a decent place to go

The head office in Freeport is around an hour from my house.

There was a point in time where they claimed almost all of their items were made in the USA.

I just now looked it up and it looks like about 75% of their stuff is imported. Of course that's only an estimate.

Now they've taken away the lifetime warranty which is a business decision that I understand.

Combine that with them being overpriced and I'm basically finished buying anything from them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Cvans

Jann's Netcraft is probably one of the last places still available for the "make it yourself" fisherman. I hope they are able to keep the idea alive. 

If your interested here is a link. https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/lure-making-parts/