troutbum70

Any one famillar with this brand of trailer tire?

troutbum70

Made my trip from St Cloud Florida last week back home in Pa, while traveling up I-95 in South Carolina I had a tire on my cargo trailer explode and only to realize I had not put spare tire/wheel in. Called a nearby tire shop to have a tire brought out, the only tire they had available was brand called HI-RUN. Just curious if any of the trailer guys are famillar with this brand, as I am not. I know it is a Chinese tire and thinking it may be only useful as a spare maybe. Would have much rather another Carlisle, but was just very glad to get fixed up and off the shoulder of I-95. 

bc.gold
3 hours ago, troutbum63 said:

Made my trip from St Cloud Florida last week back home in Pa, while traveling up I-95 in South Carolina I had a tire on my cargo trailer explode and only to realize I had not put spare tire/wheel in. Called a nearby tire shop to have a tire brought out, the only tire they had available was brand called HI-RUN. Just curious if any of the trailer guys are famillar with this brand, as I am not. I know it is a Chinese tire and thinking it may be only useful as a spare maybe. Would have much rather another Carlisle, but was just very glad to get fixed up and off the shoulder of I-95. 

HI-RUN LIMITED WARRANTY

CONDITIONS

Sutong China Tire Resources, Inc. (SCTR) hereby warrants that every new tire purchased under this limited warranty from an authorized dealer of SCTR is free from defects in workmanship and material for the life of the original tread, down to 2/32”, at which point the tire is considered to be legally worn out.

If a defect in workmanship and materials is found in any tire within the first 1/32” of the original tread:

1. The defective tire will be replaced with a comparable new SCTR tire by an authorized SCTR authorized dealer. Proof of replacement will be required.
  2. Applicable taxes on the new tire shall be the responsibility of the owner.
  3. The cost of the mounting and balancing is the responsibility of the owner.
  4. Free replacement applies to new first quality tires only. Blems, retreads, and road hazards are specifically excluded.

If a defect in workmanship and materials is found in any SCTR tire covered by this limited warranty after the first 1/32” of the original tread:

1. The credit will be given towards a comparable new SCTR tire in proportion to the original usable tread remaining on such defective tire.
  2. Applicable taxes on the new tire shall be the responsibility of the owner.
  3. The cost of the mounting and balancing service shall be the responsibility of the owner.
  4. This limited warranty applies to new first quality SCTR tires only. Blems, retreads and road hazards are specifically excluded.

Adjustment for out-of-balance or out-of-round tires is allowed only during the first 1/32” of the original tread.

Exclusions

1. SCTR limited warranties only extend to the original purchaser and the original vehicle on which they were mounted and are not assignable to subsequent purchasers or vehicles. Warranties only apply for two years from the date of purchase.
    This limited warranty is applicable in the United States and Canada only. Tires used or equipped on a vehicle registered or operated outside the United States and Canada are not covered by this warranty.
  2. The following is not covered by this limited warranty:
    1. Tires branded or marked “Non-Adjustable” (N/A) or “Blemished” (Blem) or previously adjusted tires.
    2. Failure, damage, or irregular wear due to:
      1. Road hazards (i.e. puncture, cut, snag, impact breaks, etc.) and/or collision damage.
      2. Fire, accident, vandalism, improper alignment, wheel imbalance, faulty shocks or brakes.
      3. Misapplication of tire or use of an improper inner tube.
      4. Alteration of the tire or addition of foreign material, including chemical balancing materials.
  3. Cost of mounting and balancing service.
  4. Loss of time or use, inconvenience, or any incidental or consequential damages.

Owner’s Obligations

In order to be eligible for SCTR, limited warranty service, the owner must:

1. Present the defective tire to an authorized SCTR dealer from which the original purchase was made.
  2. Present proof of purchase to the satisfaction of the dealer.
  3. Complete and sign a SCTR, claim form, available at any SCTR, Inc. authorized dealer.
  4. All claims must be made within 30 days of the defect discovery or tire failure.
  5. Sutong reserves the right to inspect the tire before making any adjustment.
  6. Pay the amount due on a new tire, less the amount of credit; including taxes, mounting and balancing charges or cost of other services ordered.

Limited Warranty Disclaimer

This limited warranty, or any warranty stated or referred to herein, is exclusive and in lieu of any other warranty regarding the quality of SCTR tires, whether expressed or implied, and remedies for breach thereof shall be limited to those specifically provided herein.

Razorback

I have 6 load range E Hi-Runs on our 1987 Avion travel trailer. They are doing well. I installed those at the recommendation of my repair shop owner. He has a long, 3-axle enclosed trailer that he hauls race cars all over the countryside. Says he has always had good luck with them. Doesn’t have to baby them, just keeps the inflation like it should be. His and our trailer tires experience a lot of shear forces in tight turns..... no problems with separation. 

Achto

I would check the 2 most important ratings on your new tire.

Load range.

Speed rating

If both of these are sufficient for what you are hauling and the speeds that you normally travel then I would have no concerns about the tire.

I just purchased 3 new tires for my trailer. I had a set with the correct load range all picked out and was about out pull the trigger, then noticed that they only had a speed rating of 55mph. With this knowledge I changed my mind and went for a set that are speed rated at 81mph. With trailer tires, overkill is always better in my mind.   .

• Like 2

953 nut
8 hours ago, troutbum63 said:

I know it is a Chinese tire

Sad, but true!               I have a pair of Hi Runs on a trailer and haven't had a problem.  The new Good Year Assurance top of the line tires on my truck were made in China. That just seems to be the way things have gone lately.        :soapbox:         Production has been shifting overseas, we need to pray that this trend turns around or our grandchildren won't have anyplace to get a job.    I'm counting on them to continue funding my Social Security.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

JoeM
10 hours ago, troutbum63 said:

Would have much rather another Carlisle

My last set of Carlisle trailer tires, "made in china", was disappointed to say the lest.

Good point nut! but until the Chinese regulate their business like we do, that's probably not going to happen. 

• Sad 2

gwest_ca

For those in Canada I noticed these the other day available through CTC

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/hi-run.html

Garry

Adding

Link includes lawn and garden tires

Ed Kennell

I blew the left tire on my boat trailer while vacationing in Delaware last summer.    The only correct size tire I could find was a High-Run mounted tire and wheel for $120 at TSC.

I really wanted to use my galvanized wheel and not the new painted wheel.     I got the manager to order a tire only for $59 total  and free shipping to the store.  It arrived in 2 days and a local tire shop mounted and balanced it for $10 total...no sales tax in Del.   I was a happy crabber.    

The old tires had good tread, but were showing signs of sidewall cracking.

After returning home, I went to my local TSC to buy the same tire for the right side of the trailer.   They had the same High-Run tire, but the price was $89.     I showed him my $59 receipt from the Delaware TSC, so he went on line and found the same tire at the $59+ 6% tax  from another supplier.  

Got that tire in 2 days and had it mounted and balanced at a local Pa. tire dealer.   Cost=  $25 +6% sales tax.

Just demonstrates the difference in material and service prices.         Sometimes it pays to shop around and ask questions as you don't always "get what you pay for".

I only have around 500 miles on the High-Runs, so I I can't evaluate the performance.   And yes, unfortunately they were made in China, but they  do run smooth and quiet with no bounce or sway and the load rating was slightly higher than the old Carlisles.  

Hopefully the new tariffs and trade deals will create more Made in the USA products.   :handgestures-fingerscrossed::handgestures-fingerscrossed::handgestures-fingerscrossed:

• Like 3

Razorback

The ones I got in September of 2018 was Hi Run ST225/75R15 10 ply. They have several thousand miles on them now.... they are doing good.

squonk

I worked with a guy who had a boat trailer wheel that leaked thru the side wall. He  had another wheel kicking around with a wheel barrow tire on it so he thru it on to move the boat around on his property. He forgot about it and one day he sold the boat. After about an hour had passed when the knew owner had left with the boat he, remembered the "not for highway use" tire on the trailer. "CRAP! " :lol:

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

rjg854

Rut Row

• Haha 2

troutbum70

Tnx everyone for input on the HI-RUN tires, with the help of a magnifying glass I did find information engraved on the tire. It is a load range C rated for 1800 pounds, no speed rating that I could find. And also it is biased tire, 4 ply tread and 2 ply sidewall. So it will become a spare.