ohiofarmer

Gonna stay warm now

ohiofarmer

Hey, guys. I have been searching around a bit and was surprised to see quite a few pellet stoves with prices all aver the place. I think people expect no maintenance and then tire of them pretty quick.I thought I missed a decent opportunity and then this stove showed up.   A guy about my age was getting his kitchen remodeled and his wife wants this super clean one gone .   It has external air supply which is a great thing for shop use. i want to be able to have some carb clean spray in use and not worry about it.

This model has the vertical blower ports which means it is a size and quality above the $1200 model sold by home depot.

i think pellets is the way to go if using wood heat in a shop. The fire is not huge and can be extinguished fairly quickly by cutting off the fuel..Also the unit can be transported and used in a property that needs some TLC and the productivity gains working in comfort should make it almost a free purchase. ditto in the shop.

Got her for about 15 cents on the dollar vs. new. will post some pics when i haul it home.  I have had a good fall/ winter with with finding bargains that are better than expected. I just recently traded some scrap metal for a nice compressor and Ariens Snowblower.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
58 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

scrap metal for a nice compressor and Ariens Snowblower

Good trade.

Glad to hear you found a stove you think will work well for you.

tunahead72
10 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

... i think pellets is the way to go if using wood heat in a shop. The fire is not huge and can be extinguished fairly quickly by cutting off the fuel...

I don't know much about pellet stoves, but that sounds like a nice feature, especially in a shop.

You have any photos?

midpack

I've been burning pellets for about 20 years now. Definitely some maintenance involved. Storing bags, lugging them to the stove, cleaning the ash...

So nice and warm though! :)  my favorite brand of pellets is LeCrete soft wood pellets. Burn very clean with plenty of BTU.

• Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib

What is the burn time on average? 
I mean how long before you have to keep reloading the firebox? Do the pellets last a while.

midpack

I run mine at the lowest burn rate and get a little better than 24 hours per bag

Pullstart

If I didn’t already have a out door wood boiler that came with the house, I’d be considering a pellet stove too!  Nice find!

ohiofarmer

Here are the pics. The unit is a 25 series of Englander with nice options like electronic speed controls. I fired it up last night in the open bay and there was no visible smoke at any time.  It puts out plenty of heat after a half hour from a cold start with the unit.  After reading the manual and observing the lack of any smoky scent in the exhaust smell, I have determined that this stove will not be run indoors until and unless a CO detector is present. After research, I found that it is rated for 2200 Sq ft. My insulated shop is 1350 or so.. This stove is rated with direct contact at the base with the only concern being sparks during clean out. It only needs 6" of clearance at the back and 3" at the sides.  Glad i have the motorcycle lift/ pallet jack [shown in one pic] that can lift  it 30". I am thinking about running the exhaust through a heat saver.. 009.JPG.ab55792889b3b1da8f85e19adce5c3aa.JPG at 25 degrees.

008.JPG

010.JPG

005.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

WHX??

I have been humping pellets well over 20 years as well. I used to sell & service quite a few of them and corn stoves as well until the market became flooded with them and pellet prices skyrocketed due to demand. Lennox owned a company that made them but they have long since gotten out of the hearth products business. Things back down to reasonable now that the demand isn't as great. This was all way before the big boxes were selling them. I go through  about 3 tons of pellets a year. 

All pellet stoves are equipped to be direct vented meaning they can be sidewall vented and combustion air be brought in. Most stoves are required by the manual to be vented this way. Always follow the install manual as far as venting or you will have problems. If you don't have the manual write the manufacturer for one. Short sidewall venting with the least amount of elbows is always preferred and running the exhaust through a heat save is ill advised, it will plug up quickly with fly ash these things produce. Most do not have a overly powerful combustion air blower. 

Harmans are the best by far and now they even have touchscreens, usb ports and phone apps! Whoda thunk that 25 years ago! I've got a few NOS stashed way in case I ever quit burning wood in the shop. 

20190130_194601.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 3

Pullstart
On 1/22/2020 at 2:38 PM, WHX24 said:

running the exhaust through a heat save is ill advised

I’m right there with Jim.  If anything, remember that exhaust needs the heat to vent properly.  You got such a great deal on the stove, don’t cheap out trying to increase the efficiency and end up costing you more in the long run.  

I have a heat coil coil and a blower from the wood stove to heat the shop, but there’s something about a fire in a shop that makes me want to put a wood or pellet stove in there too.

ohiofarmer

Advice noted on the heat saver. I doubt that one is necessary anyway.  I took the time to check the wiring by removing panels and such and am pleased to report that no mouse has been in there chewing things up. The previous owner was very good about cleaning things up as well. I had a real time of things getting that beast in the shop by having to lift it 36" off the concrete floor to the elevated woodshop floor 3 feet higher. Two fixed casters and two swivels would have made that a lot easier than the 4 swivels I have installed on the motorcycle lift.. All there is to do now is put the vent through the wall and the batteries in the CO detector . I want to enjoy retirement and not take a chance on cashing out early due to CO poisioning....

I found a manual online, so all I need to do is print it off. I also took pictures of getting that beast up into the shop, if anyone is interested.

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 2

tunahead72
1 hour ago, ohiofarmer said:

... All there is to do now is put the vent through the wall and the batteries in the CO detector . I want to enjoy retirement and not take a chance on cashing out early due to CO poisioning....

I found a manual online, so all I need to do is print it off. I also took pictures of getting that beast up into the shop, if anyone is interested.

Yeah, you've worked too hard not to enjoy it now.  And yes please on the photos, if you don't mind.