sdunlimited

1998 265-H Ignition Switch Questions

sdunlimited

Hello!

With an impending storm coming this evening, the OEM 5-pole ignition switch decided to give up the ghost on me.  I ran out and got an MTD 925-0267/725-0267 5-pole switch but this isn't solving the problem  First off, I noticed that the OEM switch has 4 positions:  Off-Lights-Run-Start.  The MTD switch has 3 positions:  Off-Run/Lights-Start.

My OEM wiring harness plug to the ignition switch was melted as well so I have all the wires loose with their spade connectors.  This helped as the MTD switch didn't seem to be aligned with the poles exactly as the OEM was.  I had to decipher the M,L,S,B,G poles from the new MTD switch to match with the OEM S,B,R,L,I poles (taken from the manual's wiring diagram).  I'm confident I have them all on the correct poles.  However, the machine still will not start.

The lights turn on as expected, but I simply get a click and no juice when attempting to start.

Temps are about 15*F and the battery is showing 12.10V with my multimeter.  

The starter will rotate the motor with the switch turned to "Run" and if I put 12V directly to the starter itself.  

I'm thinking I need a new switch with 4 positions rather than 3?  

Am I going about this correctly?

Any suggestions guidance anyone can provide?

Thanks for taking the time.  I certainly appreciate it.  Hopefully I won't have to be shoveling tomorrow morning if I can get this sorted out this afternoon!

Cheers~

gwest_ca

Here is the switch you need. Click on the picture.

This is a battery type of ignition switch because it controls a kill relay that controls the magneto ignition in this application.

Take a look at this page - click on the picture. A replacement wiring connector body is available with and without wires.

Garry

sdunlimited

Thank you for the links Garry, that is very helpful!  I'll read through and see if I can't get this sorted out.  The shovel may come out tomorrow but it's OK if I can get a successful fix in the near future!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
24 minutes ago, sdunlimited said:

shovel may come out tomorrow but it's OK if I can get a successful fix in the near future

We'll help you get it back up and cooking.

The pages Garry gave you will help you purchase the correct switch.

Where in New England are you?

Do you have a Toro dealer nearby?

sdunlimited

Thanks again for the help Gentlemen.  I was able to get the switch usable enough to blow some snow this morning.  While the plug was melted, the switch itself was just severely corroded, not burned.  Some time with alkaline cleaner and a brass brush got it into semi-serviceable condition again.   

I got this machine, the snowblower, wheel weights, chains, 38" mower deck and a 42" riding John Deere mower for $250 locally this past summer.  The prior owner did little to no maintenance on either machine so the bugs are still getting worked out.  This will definitely be needing a new switch before long so I'll get one on order.  For now, it got the job done like a champ (this was perfect, light snow for blowing!) and assisted with the neighbors driveway too.

I'm down on the Seacoast of NH and didn't even think to look for local Toro dealers.  Thanks for the suggestion!  I found a couple nearby that I'll use in the future.  I've been using my local TSC for the basic maintenance items so far.  Really hoping my blower belt stays in good condition for years to come because that's a tough one to find and not cheap.

Cheers!

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
43 minutes ago, sdunlimited said:

Seacoast of NH

We're about 90 minutes north east of you. Just east of ossipee.

@JCM Jim is in North Berwick.

If you need help finding anything don't hesitate to ask.

• Like 1

sdunlimited

I appreciate it, guys.  Thanks a lot.  

These are fun little machines and I've periodically checked Craigslist to see what else is out there.  I've seen a few projects that look like they could be enjoyable to take on.  I fear that once the bug catches you though, I may soon end up with a yard full of them!  

• Like 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, sdunlimited said:

I appreciate it, guys.  Thanks a lot.  

These are fun little machines and I've periodically checked Craigslist to see what else is out there.  I've seen a few projects that look like they could be enjoyable to take on.  I fear that once the bug catches you though, I may soon end up with a yard full of them!  

You are correct about the uhhh.... Addiction??

I started with Wheelhorses about 3 years ago.

Trina now has 2 and I have 2.

We also have several projects going.

I have quite a pile-o-parts here.

If you're interested in building a C series from the ground up you come see me and bring a truck.