briankd

c-120 resto

ZXT

Looks good, but buy a quality respirator. Silicosis, CWP and COPD is a real thing and it will kill you.

Edited by ZXT
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 2

briankd
6 minutes ago, ZXT said:

Looks good, but buy a quality respirator. Silicosis, CWP and COPD is a real thing and it will kill you.

i do have a quality respirator but got in a hurry and didn't think about it years ago i done a lot of blasting on truck frames using silica sand and never used a respirator that's been 30 yrs ago back then was young and dumb and didn't think about them things 

• Like 1

Achto

Looking forward to seeing your progress.:popcorn:

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, Achto said:

Looking forward to seeing your progress.:popcorn:

:text-yeahthat:

briankd

finished up blasting today i mounted new tires up on the fronts  got theses tires last summer from a vendor at a show i was at last summer. they are 8 by 6.50 thought they would look at little wider after i mounted them theses rims about the same as my 857 has.the front end was damaged sometime in the past it has a newer spindle on one side which has cotter pin and other has a bolt holding wheel on and one rim is a little diff. than the other. the rears on this here must be original i never knew WH had this option talking to my dealer and he sold this tractor new with this rear tire option and i found the original owners name on this when tearing it down and i actually know the guy went to school with his son from k- 12 grade . I bought tubes and putting them in theses rears they have some dry rot but still hold air  this was sold new in late 1975 with 48 inch side discharge deck which i have and a rear  mount tiller which don't know what happened to it so that why it has bar tires instead turfs 

20200112_134938.jpg.369aae2f657df97c2693faf3af1c1eb9.jpg

this is my other tractor i restored about 12 yrs ago and been working it ever since and when done with this one will be using to to mow with and maybe get rid of my green one 

20200112_135202.jpg.49547a2f03395d09cf4608cb1c7cb22f.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

briankd

did some rattle can painting after work today figured the rims may get scratched from wheel weights so i just painted them quick with spray can used rustoleum almond  then i took trans off frame  much lighter that way to move frame around i went and spray caned it also used rusoleum IH red implement paint the rest of tractor will be painted with a gun

the last picture is the paint this will get got it from the auto paint suplier at work IH red 

just got the decal set in the mail for this tractor from terry the vinyl guy 

hope to have this all painted next monday according to the guy at work then i can start putting it back togetheralso have the 12 horse kouler sitting on bench bare block had it bored 20 over and the crank turned bought a master rebuild kit from I save tractors guess the engine be the last peice i put together hope to have this done by spring 

my wife asked me when i get this done if i was going to sell it !!!!  wow i told her no way is this going to get sold maybe in my old old age i will give my tractors to my nephews i think they would enjoy them 

20200120_190053.jpg.fb5c664f208bb2a800c6b8e725efc5e2.jpgf20200120_190110.jpg.b8e694f787c0ef5ebeb21b1618052174.jpg20200120_191522.jpg.70c52786360b14aee3f6c6b5ee79a0e7.jpg

Edited by briankd
  • Like 8

Pullstart

Sell?  What’s that word?

• Haha 3

Jennifer

Relax @pullstarthe is not talking about selling a horse...!!!  There RED!!!   🤣.   He used the dare I say!  Green one!  😂

Edited by Jennifer

briankd

by the time  i get this done i figured i will have about 1200.00 $ in it maybe more i still have to get the 48 inch deck done mule drive needs new pullys and belts and deck needs all new wheels 

it will be worth it  when done you can't buy a tractor like this at  them big box stores or Mallwart

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

It's not the $$ price....

Its the VALUE.

Two VERY different words..

59 minutes ago, briankd said:

Mallwart

:ROTF:

That's a new one to me....

Love it 

• Like 1

briankd

well was going thru all my parts to get  ready to paint and i may need some help next week when i go back together this one has a rock shaft  i was looking at another c-120 at my dealrer and the sheet metal and stuff on top trans is different may need some pictures on how the lift cable and conduit runs over the trans for the rock shaft 

i should have took pictures as i was taking it apart  but wasn't thinking i would be this long been a year since i took it apart

Lee1977

They made some changes in the later mode;s of C-120s. 1976 and 1977  have different sheet metal under the rear fender.

briankd
21 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

They made some changes in the later mode;s of C-120s. 1976 and 1977  have different sheet metal under the rear fender.

yea the older ones are like my 857 on top of the trans

briankd

was to tsc today and picked up a stack and rain cap today bought some high temp black paint and will paint the muffler black and was thinking of painting the rain cap red 

20200126_182911.jpg.34de300ccce6ab7be1e52005cfc0f847.jpg

also worked on my headlight bucket today the p.o. rattle canned it white and wasn't much reflect able to it i striped it and found almond colored paint under the top coat used a dremel and some mag polished and turned out good 

AMCrules had a post on this awhile back gave me the idea sorry have some masking tape on it painting the back side black 

20200126_183114.jpg.ec96c82d091b012b735074362bdf2129.jpg

• Like 6

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, briankd said:

muffler black and ***** rain cap red

That'd be a cool look.

briankd
41 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

That'd be a cool look.

i thought so been looking for some high temp red paint was to 3 places today and no red  was going to paint the engine block in high temp red if i can get some to match the tractor paint

• Like 1

oliver2-44

I've used the "VHT High Temp" spray paint with good success.  If you can't find red high temp, I've seen some paint the bottom of the block with regular red, and use silver or black on the top finned are that gets hotter.  

• Excellent 1

briankd
9 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

I've used the "VHT High Temp" spray paint with good success.  If you can't find red high temp, I've seen some paint the bottom of the block with regular red, and use silver or black on the top finned are that gets hotter.  

yep was thinking that i was planing on painting top fined area high temp black but if i can find red will do the bottom high temp but if not was using regular paint for bottom  block . I plan on this tractor being used not sitting looking pretty it will work and be pretty  :)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

briankd

anyone here use this VHT high temp paint ? i also found some high temp primer. should i use the primer also on the bare metal or just spray the red on it ? don't know if just the paint will stick very well 

hope to start putting this 12 horse back together this weekend still waiting to get the rest of tractor painted it sitting in a pile in paint booth corner my buddy been busy on other projects

Edited by briankd
  • Like 2

ebinmaine

I've not personally used it... I've never heard a bad word against it.

VHT has always been known as a quality product.

If the can of high temp paint recommends a high temp primer I'd be ok with it.

I've never used a primer with any high temp paint before though.

• Thanks 1

briankd
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I've not personally used it... I've never heard a bad word against it.

VHT has always been known as a quality product.

If the can of high temp paint recommends a high temp primer I'd be ok with it.

I've never used a primer with any high temp paint before though.

i just watched a video on the VHT  you tube channel and they just painted brake calipers and drums bare metal 

guess you can learn a lot on you tube

thanks Eric

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, briankd said:

guess you can learn a lot on you tube

thanks Eric

That's how Trina and I learn ALOT of stuff!!!

We try as much as possible to do as much for ourselves as we can.

Tractors and everything else....

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

briankd

may need some help or advice here working on this 12 horse clutch the end of crank has threaded hole talking to my mower shop guy there is a small flat disk needle bearing 2 shims and a spring that butts up to end of crank  i can't seem to figure out the bolt that screws into end of crank and how theses pieces fit up my guy says throw that stuff out because it will get dried out over time from lack of grease  and cause clutch failure and ruin the end of crank

all these parts do is push the clutch disk apart and push pulley against the brake when you release the clutch  

170475643_Annotation2020-01-30204816_LI.jpg.975f0e9e2b77131375b04936225162b2.jpg

Edited by briankd