Jump to content
Oldskool

Newb to the group

Recommended Posts

 
ebinmaine

Welcome to another Mainah!!!!

 

:WRS:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Oldskool

Thank you ebinmaine.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs: Skool.          You got a real treasure there.   Keep us posted with pics.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ZXT

Welcome! 

 

Nice looking little tractor you have there. Any history on it?

 

Be aware that your newfound hobby will lead to bringing more tractors home!

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Oldskool

ZXT, No history yet. The guy I got it from only had it a couple days. Going to try and get history info at  a later date.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
wallfish

:WRS:

What you have there is the RJ-58.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Oldskool

wallfish you just gave me the answer to a post I was  just going to make. When I got the tractor I thought it may have been an RJ58. I looked at the tag today and all I can make out on it is a 57 in the lower right corner. So that changed my thinking to it may be an RJ 35

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Oldskool

102_0498.JPG

  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ZXT

Is it a runner? If it's not, I'd get it running before you pull it apart so that you can gauge the condition of the engine and trans if you don't plan on rebuilding the two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Oldskool

It will run with a squirt in the carb and the trans seem to shift well but haven't had a ride yet

  • Excellent 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
wallfish
25 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

wallfish you just gave me the answer to a post I was  just going to make. When I got the tractor I thought it may have been an RJ58. I looked at the tag today and all I can make out on it is a 57 in the lower right corner. So that changed my thinking to it may be an RJ 35

It's a RJ-58

You got the good stuff with it like the belt guard  heat shield, a shower head muffler, solid front rims with no holes and the hood wasn't cut. Looks like an original gas tank too but hard to tell. All of those pieces can get expensive when restoring one since they are the most common pieces missing

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Oldskool
5 minutes ago, wallfish said:

It's a RJ-58

You got the good stuff with it like the belt guard  heat shield, a shower head muffler, solid front rims with no holes and the hood wasn't cut. Looks like an original gas tank too but hard to tell. All of those pieces can get expensive when restoring one since they are the most common pieces missing

 


 believe it is the correct tank but the front rims are rotted thru fairly bad.

Edited by Oldskool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
WHX24

Sawweeet ..a 58, check out  what appears to be a original shower head fellas.. what better?!? Yah :text-imwithstupid:...that's a 58 and he is right about it having  the usual hard to find missing or $$ items. 

Please keep us posted on your progress 

:WRS: Oldskool and feel free to tell us more about yourself and tractors you may have restored. We like all brands ... well almost all brands. Please do tell us your intentions. .. stay orginal mechanical  ... full blown resto? 

Those front rims being gone quite  common but we have a work around. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Oldskool
15 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Sawweeet ..a 58, check out  what appears to be a original shower head fellas.. what better?!? Yah :text-imwithstupid:...that's a 58 and he is right about it having  the usual hard to find missing or $$ items. 

Please keep us posted on your progress 

:WRS: Oldskool and feel free to tell us more about yourself and tractors you may have restored. We like all brands ... well almost all brands. Please do tell us your intentions. .. stay orginal mechanical  ... full blown resto? 

Those front rims being gone quite  common but we have a work around. 

 

 I also have the front plow blade for it. I would like to do a full resto at sometime. At the moment I am going to work all the bug out of it and go from there. What would the work around for the front rims be? Wheelbarrow rims?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:That is a great looking complete tractor.  you might consider keeping it original, or doing a light wet sand and clearcoat to preserve the patina.

Of course the most important thing is to make it you own, and it also is a great tractor for a full restoration.  When you get it running flush the transmission by draining and filling it with diesel, driving it around, and draining and refilling with 90w gear oil.  The spindles on it are longer than most modern rims. You can find 3/4" spaces at Tractor Supply, etc to put on the spindle, then use a modern rim.  However if you want to do a correct restore, those rims are hard to find/expensive.  Those rims can probable be repaired.  I've taken some with holes in them and sandblasted and welded up the holes.  Then used JD weld to smooth the bead area on the inside and smooth the outside.  Below are pictures of a really bad David Bradley rim I repaired.  I taped the hole on the outside, and on the inside used fiberglass cloth and JB weld.  JB weld can be worked down with a files and sand paper.  From the outside I can't tell which rim I repaired.

 408939625_savingfrontrimpic1.JPG.104e5e47a42cdbe1acd287628951d8ea.JPG942803460_savingfrontrimpic2.JPG.e77cefcdecc28faa059f4d8dcbf72783.JPG1755430517_savingfrontrimpic3.JPG.86b674bd5695b3a3132c8d3768aa5f40.JPG1165709341_DBpaintingfrontsplitrims.JPG.5c517559923af8bdab6b6edf761abd1c.JPG

 

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
WHX24
19 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

 

 I also have the front plow blade for it. I would like to do a full resto at sometime. At the moment I am going to work all the bug out of it and go from there. What would the work around for the front rims be? Wheelbarrow rims?

Original plow blade?? BTW we like our :text-coolphotos: here. Full resto would out of the question noting that patina and character, for me anyway, BUT fellas here got me brainwashed to stay character but we get the notion that it is your tractor you see fit.

As far the rims you may find some ' barrow rims to get/keep it a roller but later Suburban rims might be better suited. Rims from another brand may be another option as well. No chance the rims can be saved? Don't rule that out as I have saved some pretty nasty ones per @oliver2-44...then again lost a few on the table.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ZXT
3 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:That is a great looking complete tractor.  you might consider keeping it original, or doing a light wet sand and clearcoat to preserve the patina.

Of course the most important thing is to make it you own, and it also is a great tractor for a full restoration.  When you get it running flush the transmission by draining and filling it with diesel, driving it around, and draining and refilling with 90w gear oil.  The spindles on it are longer than most modern rims. You can find 3/4" spaces at Tractor Supply, etc to put on the spindle, then use a modern rim.  However if you want to do a correct restore, those rims are hard to find/expensive.  Those rims can probable be repaired.  I've taken some with holes in them and sandblasted and welded up the holes.  Then used JD weld to smooth the bead area on the inside and smooth the outside.  Below are pictures of a really bad David Bradley rim I repaired.  I taped the hole on the outside, and on the inside used fiberglass cloth and JB weld.  JB weld can be worked down with a files and sand paper.  From the outside I can't tell which rim I repaired.

 

 

Excellent repair. Do you run tubes on them or do they seal pretty well? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Achto

:WRS:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
oliver2-44
3 hours ago, ZXT said:

Excellent repair. Do you run tubes on them or do they seal pretty well? 

I have some Suburban rear rims that were heavily pitted/JB weld smoothed that are holding air with out a tube. 

The above David Bradley rims require a tube even when in good condition due to their split design.  

 

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
953 nut
11 hours ago, Oldskool said:

It will run with a squirt in the carb and the trans seem to shift well but haven't had a ride yet

:WRS:

As others have said, you hit the mother load with that sweet little RJ.   Sounds like a fuel system clean-up and perhaps a spark plug and you will be on the road.                :woohoo:

 

The horn isn't factory, but I would keep it and put a new rubber bulb on it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rubber+horn+bulb&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS845US845&oq=rubber+horn+bulb&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l7.8558j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
rjg854

Nice find on the tractor @Oldskool and :WRS:  great place here with lots of helpful people and a wealth of knowledge.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Oldskool
11 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Original plow blade?? BTW we like our :text-coolphotos: here. Full resto would out of the question noting that patina and character, for me anyway, BUT fellas here got me brainwashed to stay character but we get the notion that it is your tractor you see fit.

As far the rims you may find some ' barrow rims to get/keep it a roller but later Suburban rims might be better suited. Rims from another brand may be another option as well. No chance the rims can be saved? Don't rule that out as I have saved some pretty nasty ones per @oliver2-44...then again lost a few on the table.

 

 

My plow is just like this one minus the shoes and shiny paint lol

 

5.jpg

Edited by Oldskool
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Oldskool

A little update for today. Replaced the fuel line and cleaned things up. Had to readjust the governor and throttle cable. Starts and idles with one pull. Puffs some blue smoke with running. Drained the trans. HUH half full of water due to the shifter boot being cracked and sitting outside for quite some time. So now the job of flushing it out

  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...