Shirk

Bolens 1453

Shirk

I have a line on a Bolens tractor. A guy up the road has it and I inquired about it for someone at work who was needing an engine for his Bolens. Well after I talked to him I was really curious to take a look at it especially when we talked he said the famous words "the motor is no good in it because last I ran it. It backfired, shut off and never ran again." I cant tell you how many things I have gotten for nothing because someone was positive it was no good and just wanted it gone. Then after a little trouble shooting, I would bring it back to life. This seemed to be the same. I am waiting for a confirmation from him that he just wants it gone then I will be happy to oblige. I walked up today and looked at it. It's a 1453 so the motor wouldn't work for that guy at work anyway. I checked and the motor turns so it's not locked. Currently it has a mower deck on it and the original Bolens cast iron rear wheel weights. Somewhere I know he had a snowthrower and I think a plow. Regardless if he says yes get it out of here I will take it but literally know nothing about them. Anyone have any experience with the older Bolens?

• Like 1

bc.gold
1 hour ago, Shirk said:

I have a line on a Bolens tractor. A guy up the road has it and I inquired about it for someone at work who was needing an engine for his Bolens. Well after I talked to him I was really curious to take a look at it especially when we talked he said the famous words "the motor is no good in it because last I ran it. It backfired, shut off and never ran again." I cant tell you how many things I have gotten for nothing because someone was positive it was no good and just wanted it gone. Then after a little trouble shooting, I would bring it back to life. This seemed to be the same. I am waiting for a confirmation from him that he just wants it gone then I will be happy to oblige. I walked up today and looked at it. It's a 1453 so the motor wouldn't work for that guy at work anyway. I checked and the motor turns so it's not locked. Currently it has a mower deck on it and the original Bolens cast iron rear wheel weights. Somewhere I know he had a snowthrower and I think a plow. Regardless if he says yes get it out of here I will take it but literally know nothing about them. Anyone have any experience with the older Bolens?

bolens.png

WHX??

Let's check with with @jabelman I believe he is somewhat of a Bolens freak? My consensus is any older Bolens is worthwhile as the oddball in your :wh: herd. 

• Like 1

ZXT
41 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

My consensus is any older Bolens is worthwhile as the oddball in your :wh: herd. 

I agree - I've looked over a few Bolens tractors at shows and they look like they're pretty well built. Heck, for free, I'd bring pretty much anything home. 

With all of those attachments though and the wheel weights, I wouldn't balk if he asked $100 or so for it. It's certainly worth it, even if it does have a blown up Tecumseh on it.

Edited by ZXT
  • Like 2

WHNJ701
40 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Let's check with with @jabelman I believe he is somewhat of a Bolens freak? My consensus is any older Bolens is worthwhile as the oddball in your :wh: herd. 

that tractor is way too new and useful for me!  my bolens experience is limited to the early ride a matic's!

seriously though a 1453 is a pretty stout machine.  get it cheap enough and figure out how to repower it with kohler k241.  I know those cast wheel weights typically sell for decent money

• Like 2

bc.gold

If I got the right Bolens model from tractor data, says that tractor has a tube frame you might want to give special attention to while looking the tractor over.

Also appears that the Tecumseh has a modified oil pan which is proprietary to the tube frame tractor, you might look at an early cub cadet narrow frame tractor that had a Kohler engine as a swap over candidate as they used a similar oil pan.

Shirk

Worst part is I had been looking for a set of wheel weights for some time and ended up building 2 different sets. I didn't realize there was a set 300 yards up the road from me. The guy that has the tractor is paid fireman a few miles down the road so he works goofy hrs. It hasn't moved in 10 years I dont think he will be getting rid of it out from underneath me. As soon as I get 100% confirmation I will go up and drag it down to my garage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shirk

Brought it to the garage today. After I took the flywheel cover off and removed the cantaloupe size mouse nest it will turn over. It barely has any spark. I would guess that could be the infamous backfire. Will have to check the coil and go from there 

Shirk

Tried to load a pic but it says I can only upload 1.4 and the pic it too big. Even though I have uploaded pics before without issue

Pullstart
1 hour ago, Shirk said:

Tried to load a pic but it says I can only upload 1.4 and the pic it too big. Even though I have uploaded pics before without issue

Becoming a supporting member not only allows you to have unlimited upload space, it also keeps the forum running for everyone to enjoy as well... keeping this wealth of information strong for years to come.  Please consider the benefits to you and others :handgestures-thumbupright:

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/store/

Pullstart

Last summer I found laying waste at the roadside a Sears Suburban 12 with two sets of stacked weights.  It’s funny how that works, I’d been looking for wheel weights too and couldn’t justify the going rate to buy a set.  Then they plopped into my lap!

062E055D-1A06-4E55-A664-278322EA1AB7.jpeg

FA1C10BC-417C-436C-9980-D6B643A6F92C.jpeg

F6F31CAF-8DD5-4DD3-9DE1-2984D917CBE5.jpeg

Shirk

Update. After a new battery and a carb clean and new plug it fired up. The spark plug I pulled out of it is one for a chainsaw. After some internet searching. I found the correct number. Just now need a fuel pump rebuild due to it leaking

Rfp55

I brought home a st16 Sears with the ohv16 tec engine. Redid valve guides, lapped valves, new piston and rings. You might find that engine compatible if you keep the oil pan off the bolens. Long story was - :deadhorse:I should have dug a hole for the Tecumseh, and found some other engine for it. YRMV.