Pullstart

My next custom Wheel Horse

oilwell1415
13 hours ago, pullstart said:

It’s Saturday night and I’m home alone.  Wife and one daughter in DFW / TX for a gymnastics meet, other daughter at a friend’s house.  Why not waste some time building cool stuff?

I usually spend that time doing things that my wife wants to help with, but that I can get done far more quickly on my own.  Or that I don’t want her to know about.

• Haha 1

Pullstart
18 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

Have you verified you markings with a circle ?

as far as i see on the pics, it is just one mark de-centered.

But anyhow, good job 👍

Just verified by eyeball, but if they are off by just a bit I bet nobody will notice.  I plan on using NASCAR style 5/8”-11 lug nuts, they’ll hold everything on just fine.  I’ll probably toss a nut on the back side of the bolts holding the adapters to the hub as well.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, oilwell1415 said:

I usually spend that time doing things that my wife wants to help with, but that I can get done far more quickly on my own.  Or that I don’t want her to know about.

My wife and daughter spent the day at Six Flags, with an off day at the meet... I figure some play time would do me well too :handgestures-thumbupright:  she’s pretty awesome.  When I tell her I need some shop time, she kisses me goodnight with a smile.  She grew up traveling in a race toter while her dad raced with Adam Petty, so garage time is a way of life :music-guitarred:

• Heart 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, pullstart said:

she’s pretty awesome

Nice to have a good partner...

:handgestures-thumbup:

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

oilwell1415
4 minutes ago, pullstart said:

My wife and daughter spent the day at Six Flags, with an off day at the meet... I figure some play time would do me well too :handgestures-thumbupright:  she’s pretty awesome.  When I tell her I need some shop time, she kisses me goodnight with a smile.  She grew up traveling in a race toter while her dad raced with Adam Petty, so garage time is a way of life :music-guitarred:

Mine usually does fine, but she always seems to insist on helping with things when it’s least needed or I need my solitude.  I’m happy to have a wife that is mechanically capable, but she struggles with the idea that some people need to be alone from time to time.

That’s awesome that you’ve got a connection to the Petty family.  I’m a life long Richard Petty fan and was crushed when Adam died.  One of my other hobbies is collecting Petty memorabilia.  Most of our house is decorated in 43 stuff.  I’ve got one room fully dedicated to it and it appears in most of the others at least a little bit.

• Heart 1

Pullstart

The second part always turns out so much quicker!

E9341FE2-7E80-459B-8420-E951F3472637.jpeg

• Excellent 3

wallfish
13 hours ago, pullstart said:

It’s Saturday night and I’m home alone.  Wife and one daughter in DFW / TX for a gymnastics meet, other daughter at a friend’s house.  Why not waste some time building cool stuff?

This is just an opinion!

I value my shop time doing stuff much more than driving to the store or ordering something online. The satisfaction and pride of building your own is more valuable than just buying something too, especially when you're building the whole thing. Without a doubt there can be better things to spend time on like family and friends, but building your own stuff certainly shouldn't be near the bottom of the wasted time list. Sanding joint compound for drywall is!

Just changing the rims, probably order the adapters and get on with something else.

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
1 minute ago, wallfish said:

Just changing the rims, probably order the adapters and get on with something else.

:twocents-02cents:

It’s more on the idea that I might be able to pull these off.  I’m by no means getting into the adapter business :D

3 minutes ago, oilwell1415 said:

That’s awesome that you’ve got a connection to the Petty family.  I’m a life long Richard Petty fan and was crushed when Adam died.  One of my other hobbies is collecting Petty memorabilia.  Most of our house is decorated in 43 stuff.  I’ve got one room fully dedicated to it and it appears in most of the others at least a little bit.

Personally I have no connection, but I wish I was around back then!  We have pictures of Dave and Adam hanging out in pits.  My wife and Adam had an agreement that if she wasn’t married by such a date, they would get hitched :hide:

Here’s one of Dave’s ASA autograph cards with the Spree sponsorship on the hood.  Spree was Adam’s main sponsor.

6CC9FC04-9D1E-4151-9EAF-8343B107D4B7.jpeg

• Like 1

oilwell1415

I agree and love being able to tell people I made something myself.  Considering the amount of work that will ultimately go into this project I just thought this was an odd place to invest time.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, oilwell1415 said:

I agree and love being able to tell people I made something myself.  Considering the amount of work that will ultimately go into this project I just thought this was an odd place to invest time.

Valid point.  I’m not always known for making the best decisions...

• Haha 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Me an' you both.

But it's all good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

oilwell1415
5 hours ago, pullstart said:

I’m not always known for making the best decisions...

Said anyone that’s ever dumped thousands of dollars into anything (50 year old garden tractors for example) that will be worth a fraction of that amount on its best day.  I’m definitely guilty of that on nearly everything in my life.  But it keeps me from committing a heinous crime, so I guess it’s worth it.

Edited by oilwell1415
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

wallfish
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

Me 3

• Like 2

Pullstart

Good decision or not, this feels really good.

Obviously, I’m lacking proper hardware.  It’ll arrive soon.

5D3D1279-3F8B-4AEF-8EA9-EA3818568CB0.jpeg

ED53299C-D962-44EA-8503-A2D134B4D5F6.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

I‘m in.. 😂

Whenever you build things yourself and they work, you‘re can be proud of.

One thing i think shall be corrected,

time you spent in Workshop on built things complete yourself from scratch, wasn‘t wasted time at all.

even if things are fail, they give you allway‘s a response, knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Lookin good 👍

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Other than chamfers for the flat head screws and a little clean up work, this one’s finished.  I’ll pop the other one off and clean up the rough edges too.

2444B60A-1684-400E-BBBE-C65AF6792807.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

19richie66

Nice work Kevin!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Second one spun..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8ntruck

Wasting time building wheel adaptors?  I don't think so. He got to play with his mill and rotary table.  I'm kind of jealous!

• Haha 3

Pullstart

Bad news / different news.

I was right last night.  The adapter didn’t fit a wheel.  The wheels are different.

out with the 8” wheels, in with the 10” ASA wheels!  Once I swap the treaded tires, I think I’ll clear the fan.  If not, I’ll get a single pulley or look for a cast one with an integrated fan.

198D705E-B112-4577-A213-5C6FD9C3DF7A.jpeg

74B80222-2DAC-498B-B289-3ADC9BA28978.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

8ntruck

Or make the adaptors thicker to increase the track and make more room between the wheels.

Wide wheels/tires and a wider track will increase the load on the axle and axle bearings - the distance between the tire loads is wider, creating a longer distance the axle has to 'bridge'.  I'm not sure the relatively low weight of the tractor will make this something to worry about, though.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

creating a longer distance the axle has to 'bridge'.  I'm not sure the relatively low weight of the tractor will make this something to worry about, though

Good observation.

IMHO.... Concern of overloading bearings would be based on potential load of dump area.

Horse transmissions are built well and hold a load well.

• Like 1

Pullstart
38 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Or make the adaptors thicker to increase the track and make more room between the wheels.

Wide wheels/tires and a wider track will increase the load on the axle and axle bearings - the distance between the tire loads is wider, creating a longer distance the axle has to 'bridge'.  I'm not sure the relatively low weight of the tractor will make this something to worry about, though.

If I have to space the wheels out I will, otherwise the lesser offset of the 10” wheels I’d imagine would ease the stress on the bearings?  I’m  heading out to swap the tires and see how it all stacks up.  Either way, this trans will receive new bearings and seals before final assembly.

• Like 1

953 nut
38 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

As wide as those tires are the load center the bearings feel will be about the same as a stock 12" wheel and tire.       :twocents-02cents:

Besides, that is such a COOL LOOK!   @pullstart should build a :wh: dragster rather than a dump truck.

74B80222-2DAC-498B-B289-3ADC9BA28978.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1