C_hasbeen

Topeka KS signing on with a 656

Spareparts

Just east of you in Lansing, go to Meridan twice a year at the thrashing Bee and pull Garden Tractor's. This is one fine group of people here 

and haven't seen anyone ask a question that wasn't answered correctly and a lot of tips and tricks on our Red Iron

• Like 2

C_hasbeen
19 hours ago, Spareparts said:

Just east of you in Lansing, go to Meridan twice a year at the thrashing Bee and pull Garden Tractor's. This is one fine group of people here 

and haven't seen anyone ask a question that wasn't answered correctly and a lot of tips and tricks on our Red Iron

I go up to Meridian twice a year also! I bet I will see ya in the summer as I plan to take this tractor up and park it.  Of course I will have it back together by then.

• Like 1

C_hasbeen

Is it an omen to come across two more shop manuals for Techumseh? Got these from a wonderful person in levonwort for $20 dropped in the mail to me.

IMG_20200116_124151.jpg

• Like 1

Pullstart
3 hours ago, C_hasbeen said:

Is it an omen to come across two more shop manuals for Techumseh? Got these from a wonderful person in levonwort for $20 dropped in the mail to me.

IMG_20200116_124151.jpg

If you learn something good in there, please do share with us!  I’ve had the best luck with a Tecky... once it had a Kohler carb bolted up :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Excellent 1

C_hasbeen

I have the cleaning and most of the painting and such done and started reassemble process, does any one know the exact length of the lift cable?  Mine was broken on both ends and my best guess is 24 inches, I guess I can put one clevis on my new cable and leave it long and finish it off to fit later.  The old cable was sure tight I clamped the wire rope in the vice and used a flat pry bar for pulling nails and worked it off a half inch at a time until I could arm strong it off.

IMG_20200126_163715.jpg

C_hasbeen

Here is the progress so far, Rust-Oleum regal red, the dash and wheels are going to be international harvester off white

IMG_20200127_182736.jpg

IMG_20200127_182757.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

rjg854
9 hours ago, C_hasbeen said:

I have the cleaning and most of the painting and such done and started reassemble process, does any one know the exact length of the lift cable?  Mine was broken on both ends and my best guess is 24 inches, I guess I can put one clevis on my new cable and leave it long and finish it off to fit later.  The old cable was sure tight I clamped the wire rope in the vice and used a flat pry bar for pulling nails and worked it off a half inch at a time until I could arm strong it off.

IMG_20200126_163715.jpg

wheelhorseman has them already made up, excellent quality besides

Wheel horse parts and more

• Like 4

C_hasbeen

I did my best measure from what parts I have of the cable and went at 22 inches from cable ferrule inside to inside on my stainless steel wire rope, I guess I will find out how close when all done.

• Like 1

Pullstart

I’ll agree that @wheelhorseman Lowell makes a fine cable.  The one I bought from him has been on a few tractors, lifting a 12” plow numerous times, among other heavy things on the hitch like a weighted down Brinly disc...

I’ve been told at Scott’s meet and greet by a member who I remember by face but not name told me he slides two 1/4-20 nuts onto the cable and beats them with a BFH on a vice with good results too.  I know which would look better in the end!

• Like 1

tbbahner

Looks like you'll have a great looking tractor when you're done!

Tom B

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

Looking good!! I'm in Harrisonville, just south of KC. 

Randy

• Like 1

C_hasbeen

Hummmm.  I have an electric start Tecumseh on this tiller 6hp runs but carb slobbering some I don't tiller much and have a Brigs I could swap on it or I can figure how to move things around and get the extra horses in that Honda onboard with out to much mess.  Ant thoughts?  I kinda leaning to the tiller engine then put the starter o have on it but would like your thoughts

IMG_20200131_161318.jpg

IMG_20200131_161311.jpg

ebinmaine

I kind of like the older iron engines so I would lean towards the Tecumseh engine with a nice fresh repaint.

You say that has carb issues. if you can't rebuild that one and get it to run you can swap a Kohler carb on to it.

@pullstart has done it..

• Like 1

Pullstart
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I kind of like the older iron engines so I would lean towards the Tecumseh engine with a nice fresh repaint.

You say that has carb issues. if you can't rebuild that one and get it to run you can swap a Kohler carb on to it.

@pullstart has done it..

Yep, a Kohler carb makes a Tecky purr like a (kitten) at the stroke of my hand...

• Like 1

C_hasbeen
16 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

@pullstart has done it..

Yea, the honda just does not look right, it will need work to adapt it under the hood also.  I can aways find a use for the honda somewhere.

• Like 1

ZXT

The Honda is definitely a better engine but the Tecumseh would look far better on the tractor! Old tractors lose a bit of their character when something new is slapped on them.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

C_hasbeen

No mater what angle I look at these Deestone 4.00 -8 three rib tires I like them!   

I am getting closer to finishing up, I had to make the missing rod and hand wheel to set the level for attachments.  I did not like how it could possibly rattle around if it did not have any weight on it so I put a carb spring on it.  

Funny thing when I cleaned up my simplicity tiller motor it was a repainted wheel horse red before.  I figured it was a transplant from something else as it was electric start.  I am not sure where the gas tank would go so I stuck it behind the dash, the tank fit nicely with only one bracket to be made and a hole for the fuel line behind the dash.  

I think I will have this done and my ow worked over before I need to break open a garden plot.

IMG_20200210_175207.jpg

IMG_20200210_175400.jpg

IMG_20200210_181641.jpg

• Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

Looks great!!

• Like 1

C_hasbeen

I mounted my new 6-12 Carlisle 6 ply ag tires and fitted the hood and fenders on, I have a lot of little things to do still but I am sure liking how it is coming back together.  I have a picture of the old tires next to the new and you can see the difference.  Now I can nice it outside and adjust my carburetor and check to see if my charging system works. 

IMG_20200211_184828.jpg

IMG_20200211_190657.jpg

IMG_20200211_190839.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Love them tires.. debating whether to use them or Tru powers on a dually project...price is about the same... 6 ply too can dang near run them flat. Those tires are geared for compact tractors with 4 wheel drive. You will never wear them out. 

• Like 2

C_hasbeen

Ugh!  Started my doner engine, let it run and warm up, set the carb and went wide open throttle she stumbled and oil ran out of the air cleaner.  I shut her down, almost all of the oil pumped out.  I am not an expert but that can't be a good sign.  Smoked at first start but that quickly cleared up.  Go figure! The picture is after shut down for a bit but still draining.

IMG_20200216_112003.jpg

• Sad 2

C_hasbeen

The oil is coming from the vent hose for the valve access cover. Any idea why that would be?

IMG_20200216_115115.jpg

pfrederi

Check make sure the side mounted breathe is installed correctly and that the reed valve isn't bent/broken

breath.JPG

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

C_hasbeen
4 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Check make sure the side mounted breathe is installed correctly and that the reed valve isn't bent/broken

breath.JPG

I did have that apart when I cleaned it up I bet you are correct, 

• Like 3

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, C_hasbeen said:

I did have that apart when I cleaned it up I bet you are correct, 

Keep us posted.

I've done it...