Ctlucas93

Need Info on a C-165

Ctlucas93

I just bought a used C-165 01-16KE01-17658. Its is odd because the rear says Toro but I don't think they bought them until '86, and the hood decals say C-145 but the serial points to a C-165, no identification on the engine at all. I'd like to find a service manual for the tractor itself and maybe a parts manual, I have a Kohler manual.  It has quite a few issues but going to start working on it in my spare time. It runs very well and idles smooth. Hydro pulls good  and deck lift works. I have no idea where the choke cable is supposed to mount on it. Hydro fluid is milky so i have a few filters ordered to change it a few times I just am not sure what to put in it. It also isn't charging the battery but going to Ohm out the stator per the manual, but does anyone know how to test the regulator? Also, I need to deal with the rust in the battery box area.

KIMG0278.JPG

KIMG0279.JPG

KIMG0280.JPG

KIMG0281.JPG

KIMG0282.JPG

KIMG0283.JPG

KIMG0284.JPG

KIMG0285.JPG

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

To help with the TORO on the metal fender pan is because that tractor originally came with a fiberglass fender pan that usually ended up broken and hence was replaced... Someone else will be along to help with the rest... BTW :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:.

• Like 2

oldredrider

Definitely a 16hp Kohler. Most likely a C165 if it has the Eaton transmission. 

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

Here is what we have on this model. Look through them all because with this type of link they are in no particular order.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?q=01-16ke01&type=downloads_file

Each major component has a service manual supplied by the supplier. ie. engine and transmission

Few tractor service manuals were published but an older one still applies to most models because they changed very little.

Quite often service info can be found in the parts manuals.

Garry

• Like 1

Sparky

I’m seeing 10 head bolts on the motor so it is a 16hp. Like was mentioned above the rear fender was originally plastic and they were easily busted, someone swapped it to a metal fender. 

:WRS:

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Love the Black Hoods! :ph34r:

• Like 1

Rob R

With all the rust and corrosion you have on the rectifier first thing I would do is take that off clean all the mating surfaces and connections. You will NOT charge if you do not have a perfect ground to this unit. 

• Like 1

Ctlucas93

Thanks guys for all the help. All the manuals will be a big help for sure. Sounds like I lucked out on the rear fenders being swapped. I didn't know the regulator needed a clean ground to charge, I have ordered a clean used mounting plate for it and a battery tray off ebay to swap them out. I plan on making a wiring harness per the schematic and wrapping it for a cleaner look. I love how smoothly she runs and the hydro will spin the tires. Hopefully tomorrow Ill get around to changing the fluid in it. I picked up a few extra filters to change it a few times with it being slightly milky. Only other gray area I have are the choke cable mounting provisions. The service manual doesn't say anything on it. My plans are to clean it up and maybe do a partial restore down the road. 

KIMG0288.JPG

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the addiction. Be careful

because these tend to multiply! 
:rs:and our membership

are here to help!!  :text-coolphotos:

bds1984

They will multiply quickly.  I started with my C165 twenty-five years ago  when I was ten years old and have grown to include a 520H and 315-8.  Over the years I have had a C195, 3 312-8s, C145 auto, and a 520xi come and go.  My C165 will stay with me forever.  Here is a link to my C165 refresh I did five years ago.