Pullstart

Suggestions on hand tool brands?

Pullstart

I have primarily Craftsman tools.  I have two little girls with tractors, but they have no tools.  At Home Depot tonight, there was a 64 piece Husky socket and bit set for $14.99!  We picked up one set for the girls, but would like to find a different brand to start their collections (and keep them separate).  I thought of Kobalt tools, thinking Lowe’s would have a similar set, priced the same too.  Mrs. Pullstart asked why we’d want to start their tool set at a store we don’t shop at?  Preference there, and convenience.  I’ve been with HD box store since being a home owner, no reason to change ever.

Any suggestions for entry level yet lifetime warranty tools?  I thought of Harbor Freight too, but it’s not very convenient to go to that store on most occasions.

82Caddy

Harbor freight was my suggestion for hand tools. I’ve been beating the crap out of my Pittsburg ratchets for a few years now and they still haven’t skipped or broken. Plus a free tape measure doesn’t hurt. 

I’ve read good things about kobalt but have no first hand experience with them. 

But if it’s not in your normal travels it doesn’t do much good. 

• Like 2

ZXT
23 minutes ago, 82Caddy said:

Harbor freight was my suggestion for hand tools. I’ve been beating the crap out of my Pittsburg ratchets for a few years now and they still haven’t skipped or broken. Plus a free tape measure doesn’t hurt. 

I’ve read good things about kobalt but have no first hand experience with them. 

But if it’s not in your normal travels it doesn’t do much good. 

:text-yeahthat:

This was also going to be my suggestion. Now that all of the cheaper brands are Chinese, I see no reason to spend more on a "better" brand. I have a few HF socket sets (Not the 3.99 special in the blue case with clear lid, those are garbage as I'm sure you know) and have beaten the hell out of them. I did break one of the 3/8" drive sockets once; I had it on a 1/2" impact on a motor mount bolt nut. After I split the socket, I realized that that nut was welded in place. Go figure. 

I have had 2' or longer cheater pipes on their 3/8" ratchets numerous times and have never broken one. They also have a lifetime warranty, if I remember correctly. 

• Like 1

WHX??

I was going to suggest HF too for entry level. If yer gonna turn my girls into full fledged grease monkeys tho I would also suggest a cheapy tool chest? Unless you go with a set in the blow molded case.

The Home Cheapo thing ain't a bad idea for a stocking stuffer. HC used to have Jimmy Johnson selling Kobalt so they can't be all that bad.  For 15 bucks they leave a socket under the hood on the plow field like Dan's wallet, I never do that, nothing lost! :lol:

I think you need to snuggle up to the Missus and produce a few boys tho! That way they can come spend a summer here and I can teach them proper shop organizational  skills! :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 6

Tractorhead

I do it like my Dad did,

i purchased them the same Brand of Tools , i use myself.

They got it piece by piece and trained, to keep an eye on their Tools.

a First own Toolbox or if space available, a small Toolcabinet will also be a cool.

I use Vigor Ratchet Set from EKQ (here it is Stahlgruber) 

Gedore wrench Set‘s 

some cheap Wrench Sets 

and Makita drills.

I let the Vigor Sets laser engraving with the initials of them, because i had the ability, 

so a „hey thus is my ratchet“ was simply prevented by engraved name. 😎

But a simple Colorpoint in different colors can also do the trick for what is who‘s..

plus, they had their tools still further and had good quality Tools.

That was allway‘s Whow Gifts for christmas and Birthday‘s.

I just purchased Tools on their need.

That was the expensive Way i know, but so they had whenever they using their Toolset

good quality in hands plus a memory to Dad. 👍

each year is a birthday or christmas and over the Time, they collect a well usable Toolset.

When i purchased the Makita‘s i talked to our salesman where i normally buy and get a real cheap offer.

i purchased for me the BHP454 and for the Girls the smaller lightweight edition, because if they need a Drillhammer,

i have a bigger Hilti, they can borrow any time they need, because i know they didn‘t rape it.

• Like 2

Achto
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

I thought of Kobalt tools, thinking Lowe’s would have a similar set, priced the same too.

FYI, Lowe's is also a Craftsman dealer. Just in case you wanted to start them out with the same tools that dear ol' dad uses. To mark the tools to keep them separate, you could either engrave them or run a paint pen over the recessed letters then wipe over the top. This leaves the lettering colored and still looks neat & clean.

Edited by Achto
  • Thanks 3

Pullstart

Jim I’ll keep trying to make a baby boy or two, but I’ve been shootin’ blanks since Rylee was 1 month old!

Dan the paint pen is a great idea.  Another thing to keep in their boxes too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

WHNJ701

with the prices on tools anymore cheap, it seems my 7 year old has a nicer tool collection than me.  I heard a rumor that Santa is bringing him a big rolling tool box that was a black Friday special 

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

SylvanLakeWH

I have a HD, Lowe’s, Menards and Harbor Freight all within a 2 miles  of me...spoiled I guess...

Result is a mutt toolbox with whatever tool brand was there when I needed it...

Never noted much difference in quality or performance...frankly the cheap stuff from HF performs quite well...

Maybe get each their own box and mark them like mentioned above...then you will know where to look for all your tools!!!

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

tom2p

some more ideas ...

you could upgrade - and pass your  current tools down to the kids 

also consider used tools - from garage and estate sales and flea markets 

can get some nice high quality tools for good prices 

• Like 2

953 nut
11 hours ago, pullstart said:

Home Depot tonight, there was a 64 piece Husky socket and bit set for $14.99!

:text-yeahthat:         My first set of sockets was Husky brand, bought them in '62 while in high school. After about four decades of use and abuse the ratchet began to skip a little and Home Depot replacer it without any hesitation. When I used them in the gas station I painted all of my tools red to be able to tell them apart from others.

:twocents-02cents:   Unless you want one of your daughters to become emotionally scarred for life I wouldn't give one the Husky tools and the other a set from Harbor Cheapo!    :text-lol:

• Like 1

squonk

Kolbalt will be no more. I have every brand known to man. even have some Wizard and Allemite from the 60's. Harbor Fright has some awesome boxes and their ratchets are excellent.

• Like 1

Herder

Lowes sells Craftsman and I would guess they still carry a lifetime warranty.  Limited lifetime warranty!!  In the past returned many Craftsman ratchets at Sears.  Not nearly as durable as they where in the past.  

• Like 1

tom2p
1 hour ago, Herder said:

Lowes sells Craftsman and I would guess they still carry a lifetime warranty.  Limited lifetime warranty!!  In the past returned many Craftsman ratchets at Sears.  Not nearly as durable as they where in the past.  

much of the new craftsman stuff is made in china 

much / most of the old stuff made in USA

this is one major reason many look for used tools - especially craftsman 

can often get used / made in USA craftsman for less than new made in China 

• Like 2

tom2p

many are now using Tekton tools 

made in Taiwan or China 

apparently good quality / value 

many purchase them on Amazon 

might also be available at certain brick / mortar stores ?

have not seen them - but prob worth a look

Edited by tom2p

prondzy

Go with whatever is affordable with easy access for purchasing, all store box tools are pretty much the same. Just my opinion 

Pullstart

So, my girls will be spoiled this Christmas.  We could not find a better deal on a good set than the 224 pc Craftsman sets at ACE.  So they are starting off right with quality tools and two different paint pens.  Let’s just hope they arrive from backorder on the 24th as planned!

Merry Christmas, ladies!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

tom2p
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

So, my girls will be spoiled this Christmas.  We could not find a better deal on a good set than the 224 pc Craftsman sets at ACE.  So they are starting off right with quality tools and two different paint pens.  Let’s just hope they arrive from backorder on the 24th as planned!

Merry Christmas, ladies!

nice !

tools are a great gift - many will last a lifetime and almost never go out of style 

• Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Tools are allway‘s a good choice,

can‘t be wrong with 👍

Pullstart

Merry Christmas, a few days late!

The girls are @Achto @Tractorhead paint pen marking their new sets tonight!  

D9388389-8F5E-4EC8-985B-342EFD9B69A8.jpeg

• Excellent 3

Achto

Those look like some really nice tool sets!!  I'll bet Mom has given many warnings about not getting any paint on the carpet :D  Soo... what were the color choices for the girls? Any close ups of how the lettering is turning out??

Pullstart

72FF6E97-90E6-4BE9-8671-C638BF84D8E2.jpeg

B3B9E432-FE3B-49A8-9F74-7A6B1CF040AD.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Achto

Let the girls know that it's looking great!!  A thumbs up for each of them:handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Why i hear in my virtual ear the discussing,

oooops Daddy,  that‘s yellow marked,  thats mine....

....you must search you tools and keep an eye on them...

It was your advice do you remember...

😂😂😂

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Haha 1

tom2p

good luck - might need two sets of eyes lol

it can be a challenge to keep tools in their proper homes 

some times there can be unique markings or numbers or other identifying characteristics 

example ... 

we have a number of different types of craftsman combo wrenches - including multiple sets of USA professional / polished - but my set is the only set with the 'Craftsman' logo facing out / up

when the open end is facing left 

( there is also a small sideways 'K' stamped that apparently indicates manufactured by SK )

• Thanks 2