Duff

Here we go again, this time with a 520H!

Pullstart
5 hours ago, lynnmor said:

That would be your other left, as in right side, I know.... it's late.

I’m no 520 expert, but I was a bit confused too @cleat :D

cleat

Sorry about that, yes it is on the Right side below the cooling fan (at least I got the cooling fan part correct).

On that note, has anyone ever had a hydro or engine heat light actually come on ?

I have never seen it (don't think I have ever overheated anything either).

I also would have to guess that if you were out mowing grass in the bright sun that you would not see a little red light come on at all.

lynnmor
1 hour ago, cleat said:

On that note, has anyone ever had a hydro or engine heat light actually come on ?

I did have the hydro heat light once, the fan bolt came loose and allowed the fan to slip.  Yes, the hydro was very hot and that lamp probably saved it.  I was mowing when it happened and was very surprised at just how hot the hydro can get from a slipping fan.  After that experience, I do a thorough job of cleaning the fins every year.  Since the bolt is tightened against plastic it can't be made extremely tight, so use thread locker. 

Lee1977

Besure to check the rear engine head. My 520 had 780 hours that i bought in Feb. 2019 and the rear head fins were completely packed with dirt and oil.

Duff
4 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

Besure to check the rear engine head. My 520 had 780 hours that i bought in Feb. 2019 and the rear head fins were completely packed with dirt and oil.

Hi, Lee! Yeah, I'd read about the rear cooling fins loading up so the first thing I checked when I was looking at the tractor was to see if they were gunked up as a possible indication of hidden engine damage. Fortunately they were clean and the engine fired up and runs like a top! I have, however, vented the belt cover as suggested by another member here to help with cooling going forward. Thanks guys - y'all are the greatest! Now to figure out whether I can rescue the connection on the hydro temp sensor and see if it is shorted! 

Duff
6 hours ago, lynnmor said:

I did have the hydro heat light once, the fan bolt came loose and allowed the fan to slip.  Yes, the hydro was very hot and that lamp probably saved it.  I was mowing when it happened and was very surprised at just how hot the hydro can get from a slipping fan.  After that experience, I do a thorough job of cleaning the fins every year.  Since the bolt is tightened against plastic it can't be made extremely tight, so use thread locker. 

Good tip on the thread locker, thanks! I tend to use the blue stuff on just about everything I reassemble. I've also replaced all the nuts, bolts and washers on my other tractors with stainless unless they were Grade 8. This one hasn't required much disassembly and the hardware is in good shape so I'm reusing most of it.