wheelwhores

Acorns and tree debris

wheelwhores

We live in what amounts to an oak forest.  Acorns are a major struggle.  What do you guys like to use on your WH to help tackle the job of acrons, sticks, leaves and other lawn debris.  Also...moles!  Any secrets to releveling lawn lumped up by moles?

953 nut

This is what I use for acorns.                    :text-lol:

Image result for acorns and squirrels

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart 1

Herder
5 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

This is what I use for acorns.                    :text-lol:

Image result for acorns and squirrels

And there tasty too.

• Like 2

953 nut
3 minutes ago, Herder said:

And there tasty too.

The acorns, right?           :ychain:

• Like 2

Herder
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

The acorns, right?           :ychain:

Acorns are to chewy.

peter lena

ever heard of grub control ? , kill off the grubs and the moles leave, next regularly spike your lawn to improve the grub and insect penetration . this is what i regularly tow to aireate   my lawn and increase grub and insect control , since using these both weighted an unweighted my lawn has totally transformed . they also grind up and surface debris , keeping the lawn soft, pete

• Like 3

tom2p

we have a lot of grubs in our soil - so not a surprise we have a lot of moles (and the related issues) ...

and something else often digs under the grass into the soil - maybe a possum or raccoon 

troutbum70

Probably skunks as they like grubs a lot.

• Like 4

tom2p
1 hour ago, wheelwhores said:

We live in what amounts to an oak forest.  Acorns are a major struggle.  What do you guys like to use on your WH to help tackle the job of acrons, sticks, leaves and other lawn debris.  Also...moles!  Any secrets to releveling lawn lumped up by moles?

not that I recommend it - but few lawn and garden tractors will devour small branches, sticks, debris, etc  like a Wheel Horse - and with little / no damage or issues 

leaves ?  smirk ... I create and then run through piles of leaves and mulch them into pieces 

Wheel Horse decks, spindles, blades, etc. all heavy duty and can withstand punishment that would destroy parts on a lesser tractor 

• Like 4

tom2p
2 minutes ago, troutbum63 said:

Probably skunks as they like grubs a lot.

ahhh - yes - and we've had our share of skunks !

Achto

JCM

This fall I used a Peco Bagger attached to the 312-8 with a 48'' side discharge mower that works great on leaf removal, as far as the acorn issue this year in Maine was the worst I have seen in 10 years, the only solution I have found is to use a good heavy duty rake along with strong shoulder and arm strength and go at it. After raking the acorns I go back over the lawn with the bagger removed and mow again and the 48'' deck cleans the remaining areas pretty nice, and yes those WH decks are tough.

JCM

In the Spring my yard looks like a road map from a heavily populated City from the damn moles, may have to try the Rodenator as my neighbors are all used to 30 cal noises going off frequently in the wooded area we reside in.

• Like 1

Pollack Pete

I've been using a Cyclone rake for the last 4 or 5 years.Does a pretty good job picking up the acorns and leaves.I have lived in my house for 32 years now and this year is the most acorns I've ever seen.I have 4 or 5 big oaks on the front lawn.The ground was completely covered.

Stormin

No oak trees near me, but I bet the acorns would be grand in the stove.

As for moles, we do get them but I have a couple of mole traps. I use a long thin screwdriver to find a run near a mole hill. Dig a small hole just big enough for the trap, then place a bucket upside down over the set trap. Use gloves to handle the trap. Moles can smell your scent.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

Gas emm !!! 

Pullstart

I have seen snowblowers used for leaf duty, I bet they would toss acorns and small sticks too!  Luckily we have very little yard debris, other than trash people toss out their window.  :(

DBlackston
On 11/18/2019 at 6:59 AM, pullstart said:

I have seen snowblowers used for leaf duty, I bet they would toss acorns and small sticks too!  Luckily we have very little yard debris, other than trash people toss out their window.  :(

Thats the main thing we get in our yard too.

Trash from people. Sickening.