Dad520H

Blower housing removal

Horse Newbie
On 10/18/2020 at 9:23 AM, lynnmor said:

If you found the valve clearances off by more than a few thousandths,

@lynnmor  when you say " off" do you mean that a thicker feeler gauge would slide in there ?

WVHillbilly520H
44 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

@lynnmor  when you say " off" do you mean that a thicker feeler gauge would slide in there ?

You should check with a different size until one fits record your size and check to specs if more than .003-4" over spec then you may have an issue but adjust to specs and any try it out... I know there are lots of horror stories of loose valve seats but usually low compression is the biggest sign of that vs out spec valve lash.

Horse Newbie
43 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

You should check with a different size until one fits record your size and check to specs if more than .003-4" over spec then you may have an issue but adjust to specs and any try it out... I know there are lots of horror stories of loose valve seats but usually low compression is the biggest sign of that vs out spec valve lash.

When I checked mine the clearance was tight.

I could not get a .005 to slide between the stem cap and tappet on the intake and could not get a .013 to slide in on the exhaust.

I adjusted the intake to .005 and the exhaust to .013, then I checked them with a gauge size .002 larger.

The Onan repair manual said the gauge that was .002 thicker should not slide in and it didn't.

tom2p
On 11/10/2020 at 11:08 AM, Rich16 said:

I'm probably one of the few left to have been introduced to Onans working summers at a foam rubber plant in maintenance during college in the 70's - they uses towmotors everywhere in the plant that all had Onans and I'd help the mechanics work on them - all ran on propane and all were run hard with few issues.

we had a towmotor forklift at the industrial complex where I worked during the summers for a few years 

can't recall the engine brand though 

but do recall it was for indoor use only - very little ground clearance ...

as ebinmaine would say 'don't ask me how I know this'  lol

tom2p
On 11/9/2020 at 3:47 PM, Rich16 said:

Many thanks again lynnmor - makes me feel more comfortable about running 'em harder - especially now with the 60" deck after reading many negatives about it on the forum.

It gets pretty warm in summers here in West Tn - probably going to go ahead and modify a spare drive cover just to feel better - won't deface the original - I know keeping grass off the intake is the biggest reduced cooling issue when the engine heat light suddenly popped on & I realized the intake was covered. Ouch. Lucky lucky. Won't happen again.

curious - how much material needs to accumulate on the blower housing screen before it will significantly reduce air intake and engine cooling ?

obviously - if the majority or a large part of the screen is covered by debris (grass/leaves) - that is a problem ... 

but I wonder if a small ring of debris on the screen will significantly affect the cooling ?

just used my 416-H to cut some grass - and not a surprise at this time of the year with a lot of leaves down I was clearing the screen almost every other pass at some parts of the property 

Edited by tom2p

tom2p
On 11/9/2020 at 3:47 PM, Rich16 said:

Many thanks again lynnmor - makes me feel more comfortable about running 'em harder - especially now with the 60" deck after reading many negatives about it on the forum.

I really really like it & it's a beast compared to the 48's.

a deck size for the classic tractors between 48 and 60" would have been a welcome option ... maybe 54" ?

a deck larger than 48 would save me some time - but the 60 too big for me ... concerned about the size (in the garage primarily) and the weight ... and I believe a different mule drive is required (?)

If we I had more space I would lean more toward a 60

but not too concerned about power - 416-H plows through thick tall grass with a 48" deck almost effortlessly ... at 3/4 or so throttle ...  obviously little / no concern with more powerful 520

Rich16
3 minutes ago, tom2p said:

curious - how much material needs to accumulate on the blower housing screen before it will significantly reduce air intake and engine cooling ?

obviously - if the majority or a large part of the screen is covered by debris (grass/leaves) - that is a problem ... 

but I wonder if a small ring of debris on the screen will significantly affect the cooling ?

just used my 416-H to cut some grass - and not a surprise at this time of the year with a lot of leaves down I was clearing the screen almost every other pass at some parts of the property 

I can answer this generally as I mowed 20 acres of field previously bush hogged with piles of dry grass under the new growth this past summer and it was a continual issue.

It effects cooling constantly proportional to the area of the screen - when it becomes 'critical' to the rear cylinder you find out when bad happens or hope the overheating light comes on and you notice.

After a couple hours of mowing the overheat light started to flicker & I happened to notice - and immediately looked to the screen and it was completely piled up/covered with dried blowing grass.

I kinda freaked knowing I'd screwed up and wiped it all off (with engine throttled down and mower disengaged) and light went off.

Lesson learned. Though mowing such a large expanse makes it difficult to keep remembering to wipe off the screen.

Wouldn't think this would be an issue for most mowing a regular yard where there won't be a lot of dry grass blowing around so my use is atypical.

Rich16
5 minutes ago, tom2p said:

a deck size for the classic tractors between 48 and 60" would have been a welcome option ... maybe 54" ?

a deck larger than 48 would save me some time - but the 60 too big for me ... concerned about the size (in the garage primarily) and the weight ... and I believe a different mule drive is required (?)

If we I had more space I would lean more toward a 60

but not too concerned about power - 416-H plows through thick tall grass with a 48" deck almost effortlessly ... at 3/4 or so throttle ...  obviously little / no concern with more powerful 520

Others have answered this but I can comment from my brief experience with the 60" - I wouldn't consider using it with a 416 - I have a 416 - 8 with the Kohler (an '85) and there's a big power difference in the 520 and 416.

I just completely cleaned up my 'new' 60" by changing blades - deciding to sand off the bottom rust/grime and painting - and hearing a couple of groaning bearings and replacing (they're actually easy to replace).

The 60" weighs 320# literally and- the 48" maybe 100# - the 60" is made MUCH more substantial. It'd be like adding another (large) passenger to your 416 while mowing with the 48" deck and adding the extra cut load - no comparison and I wouldn't even think about it.

And you do need a different mule to use properly. If this didn't land in my lap I wouldn't have it though have been curious about it for awhile - I'll really find out next spring.

I'm almost 67 and not in good health but fairly strong - I found it easier to get the 60" deck out and under (and lift the front to lay back on some tires to work on) than many have said - but I'm 6'3" and 200# - someone smaller would have issues. It's really heavy & the most I could ever manage. Easiest to move it on smooth concrete like in your garage.

But - it's also amazing when working - much greater mowing capacity to the 48" as to how much grass/leaves this spits out and why the load would be much greater on your 416 (not including the extra deck weight).

I use my 416 to do light grass mowing and to clean leaves in the fall - our driveway is circular 10" wide concrete and the 48" deck takes probably 5-6 passes to get them off - the 60" does it in two or three - easily. This fall was my first experience with it - haven't done grass yet. Everyone says it cuts lower than the 48" more than most would like. I'll see.

tom2p

no warning light on 416 - so I can only guess on temp climbing 

so I often stop and remove debris - especially during fall when the leaves are down (instead of 'often' it is then 'constant') ...

stop tractor ... PTO off ... throttle down ... semi-dismount and reach down and remove debris with left hand 

prefer to use 312 in areas and or during times with a lot of leaves because it is not an issue with the Kohler single as it is with the Onan twin 

Rich16

Yeah - the Onan requires more babysitting than my Kohler. I confess to really liking the Onan on the 520 better though.

I used to think my 416-8 was the do all end all and it is for what it does & has done for me - until I got my first 520h two years ago.

After a summer on the 520 the 416 seems a bit 'clunky' and less refined - a lot more vibration - though still works like a champ for a 35 y/o lawn tractor - nothing to complain about.

My arthritis (autoimmune) prefers the 520 :-)

I confess I'd never have considered mowing 20 acres with the 416 (48" deck on both) but did it fairly easy with the 520 in less than a week of half-days and was cutting 5x thicker field grass than what you'd ever encounter in your yard. Your statement does resonate with me about plowing thru grass - with sharp blades it cuts like butter. Beats paying 2k to have it bush hogged by someone 3x a year - and it looks better.

Need something to do in retirement!

tom2p

agree - I would not put a 60 on a 416 single (Kohler) ... not for a lot of tall grass or up hill / grades   ... mostly level might be ok  (?)

but the 416 Onan twin might not object much - if at all (?)

Edited by tom2p

tom2p

btw - especially if you cut tall grass 

keep an eye on the 'tunnel' area under the seat - above the hydro trans 

grass clippings will accumulate in that tunnel area 

I used to cut a one acre area every 2-3 weeks ... sorta/kinda a small pasture - tall farm grass ... in addition to accumulating on the air intake screen that stuff would pack the tunnel area around / above the trans 

would also pack the area on top of the mower deck and inside the deck pulley covers - but that was never an issue