ohiofarmer

Might be getting a good source for free project machines

ohiofarmer

My truck was down recently and my buddy Rick offered to haul a garage door that I needed to upgrade the garage for the wife's new car, a Rav4 Hybrid. He had a couple of small engine powered projects in his truck bed ready to be scrapped which incude a wheelbarrow style compressor [ unit in perfect mechanical shape needing only a $99.00 engine]  and a HD pressure washer that needs carb work.  We have a deal going that he can have an old car to pay back the scrap he lost and hopefully send more projects my way.  His son basically hauls away yard equipment [trade ins and unwanted equipment when the customer buys new] from a lawn equipment dealer that is not economical to repair from the standpoint of a dealer.  Just a perfect starting point for a back yard mechanic

This could be good and a good way to fund my WHA.  awe will just have to see where it all goes.

I did get very fortunate and found a very nice 42" deck with the side drive system which I prefer to the mule drive. Two short belts will cut tall grass better than one longer belt. the man was such a nice person that i left more money than he asked for that deck. It was that nice and solid.  Anyway, for a Buckeye to rustle a nice find like that out of the heart of Michigan Football territory ----:happy-bouncymulticolor:..       Actually, I would like to see OSU get some  humbling from somewhere like Ann Arbor after running up the score so high in their last game..

So now with this deck and a spare engine that Eric helped me out with some tins, and a roller someone gave me when I bought some other things, it looks like ia will have a third operating mower that I can use at the old home place..   So grateful to nice people on this forum after a tough year of injuries.

• Like 5

ZXT
37 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

My truck was down recently and my buddy Rick offered to haul a garage door that I needed to upgrade the garage for the wife's new car, a Rav4 Hybrid. He had a couple of small engine powered projects in his truck bed ready to be scrapped which incude a wheelbarrow style compressor [ unit in perfect mechanical shape needing only a $99.00 engine]  and a HD pressure washer that needs carb work.  We have a deal going that he can have an old car to pay back the scrap he lost and hopefully send more projects my way.  His son basically hauls away yard equipment [trade ins and unwanted equipment when the customer buys new] from a lawn equipment dealer that is not economical to repair from the standpoint of a dealer.  Just a perfect starting point for a back yard mechanic

This could be good and a good way to fund my WHA.  awe will just have to see where it all goes.

I did get very fortunate and found a very nice 42" deck with the side drive system which I prefer to the mule drive. Two short belts will cut tall grass better than one longer belt. the man was such a nice person that i left more money than he asked for that deck. It was that nice and solid.  Anyway, for a Buckeye to rustle a nice find like that out of the heart of Michigan Football territory ----:happy-bouncymulticolor:..       Actually, I would like to see OSU get some  humbling from somewhere like Ann Arbor after running up the score so high in their last game..

So now with this deck and a spare engine that Eric helped me out with some tins, and a roller someone gave me when I bought some other things, it looks like ia will have a third operating mower that I can use at the old home place..   So grateful to nice people on this forum after a tough year of injuries.

Looks like you''ve found yourself a good source! I'm not sure what all you've told him to inform you about as far as machines, but I'd have him bring you anything with a horizontal Kohler or Onan on it! Should cover just about all of the good garden tractors.

ebinmaine

Keep us posted!

Sounds like a good thing....

SylvanLakeWH
6 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

Anyway, for a Buckeye to rustle a nice find like that out of the heart of Michigan 

Ohio...? Ohio...?

They still have a football team???

Man...we need a Wheel Horse Operational Protection Restraining Wall (WHOPR Wall)... darn southerners coming up into God’s country stealing and pillaging our :wh:‘s ... :ph34r:

Build the wall...Build the wall...

:ychain:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 5

ohiofarmer
11 hours ago, ZXT said:

Looks like you''ve found yourself a good source! I'm not sure what all you've told him to inform you about as far as machines, but I'd have him bring you anything with a horizontal Kohler or Onan on it! Should cover just about all of the good garden tractors.

absolutely correct on the horizontal engines. Actually i will take anything with an engine  The air compressor I got had a Japanese Metric Briggs and it was so dirty I thought it to be seized. It had rust built up inside the flywheel and ran less than an hour later. Even if the stuff is not to my liking, I can sell it to fund some Wheel Horse stuff.   I traded a 12 Horsepower Briggs with a cracked Carb intake tunnel for a Wheel Horse 8 HP that ran great,but had lost the cooling tins, and Eric had some spare tins I paid just the freight. I already had a small frame roller [1075] that was given to me when I bought a deck and some parts.  So with just a bit of money, I will have a nice complete mowing machine. That is the way it works sometimes.  

With my limited skills, i might be better off buying a nice rebuilt engine from a forum member with money I make curbstoning this old stuff  by selling it at garage sales.  I once got a 26HP Husky for $30.00 that someone fried the coils out of by wiring a solenoid backwards. Easy fix and i would rather convert its value to a red machine than deal with a  big box store machine.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

You got any pictures of the progress on that machine I sent you tins for?

I think it's a super cool activity you've got there by accepting what you get and fixing it a little bit and turning it into something you want a little more.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

You got any pictures of the progress on that machine I sent you tins for?

I think it's a super cool activity you've got there by accepting what you get and fixing it a little bit and turning it into something you want a little more.

The pictures I have are just closing the hole that looks like a "bullet" penetrated. All I have done is close it . I will post them when I use the JB weld to complete that chapter.   You are the man. Eric. The engine was a paperweight without those tins. BTW. Anyone who helps me out with Wheel Horse parts can rest assured that I do not sell them off. So long as we stay out here and have space to keep them, that is....

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

No worries man.

I'm glad to see those pieces being put to good use!

ohiofarmer

006.JPG.e3a0e2915d19a601252a61e5ed8f8274.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

008.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ohiofarmer

So here are Eric's tins. Notice the "bullet hole" that i managed to close up. After more sanding or sand blasting, I just use JB weld on stuff like that. I usually use a sandwich bag over the JB weld so as to smooth it out to close to the shape i want because original JB tends to be a bit thin and prone to sag.

ebinmaine

Looks great man.

Hardly even seems like it ever got shot at all...

:handgestures-thumbupright:

The Tuul Crib
On 11/12/2019 at 4:45 AM, SylvanLakeWH said:

Ohio...? Ohio...?

They still have a football team???

Man...we need a Wheel Horse Operational Protection Restraining Wall (WHOPR Wall)... darn southerners coming up into God’s country stealing and pillaging our :wh:‘s ... :ph34r:

Build the wall...Build the wall...

:ychain:

:angry-tappingfoot:

• Haha 1

ohiofarmer

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngHere is the nice deck from the heart of Wolverine Country. i am sure they will soon have their revenge against the rustlin' Buckeye. I broke in the wife's car with less than a thousand miles :omg:

025.JPG

028.JPG

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

The Tuul Crib
2 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

:angry-tappingfoot:

Would it be funded by the green and yellow team?

:ROTF:

• Haha 1

ohiofarmer

Another tool came in. Rick has my Bobcat at his house. His driveway is longer than mine and I would just prefer he keep the machine there to take care of the snow. We do not get a great deal of snow here most winters, but it is always possible to get up to twenty inches once in a blue moon. our arrangement is that he can clear his driveway, or i will just go over and clear it for him and transport the bobcat and clear mine.

the tool he has is an 8524 Ariens and that puppy looks like new. Showroom new.  There is some slightly old gas in the tank and that usually means some green gas in the carb,  Gotta get crackin' on that one.  8524 denotes 8.5 horsepower and two stage. it has 110 volt electric start as well as a pull rope, Plenty of grunt to clear my small driveway

I just built a rolling stand to mount horizontal engines on and also use it for a rolling generator mount.  All you need is an old mtd tractor that rolls and that works great to cut down for an engine stand. I made mine shorter by using smaller rear wheels that fit under the generator body.image.png.1088e080fb5c81f7821020d914362517.png

This is what an 8524 looks like, only mine is better than this one

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1