Mickwhitt

Exhaust modification

Mickwhitt

Hi all, 

I am just wondering about modifying the exhaust on my C125. 

Currently its mounted on a flange to the side of the cylinder head. The exhaust firing down to the right hand side of the engine.

I am looking at having a stainless silencer made and wondered if there are any thoughts on moving the silencer away from the side of the engine.

Maybe using flexible hose or having a custom pipe run made so that the silencer is under the chassis and out of the way.

I dont have a cutting deck so there should be room to site a silencer box.

Or would I be better leaving it, or putting a vertical stack on?

So many options 

Mick 

• Like 2

Achto

Maybe @Bear G can post some pics of "The Stretch". The exhaust on his custom machine runs under the tractor and it sounds soooo cool.

I have stacks on some of my tractors and like the look & sound. Just have to remember to watch out for low tree limps that will try to tear the stack of when you drive under them.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

In a general manner of speaking I am a fan of stacks for the most part.

Definitely have to watch out for low hanging items but I don't have any on my property. Our forest gets trimmed whenever we have one that comes even so much as close.

If you're going for QUIET, get a 10 horse Cub muffler from the late 70s. That can actually be turned into a stack.

• Like 1

Pullstart

A few pipe fittings and you should be able to get what you need to run the silencer below.  

In high school I had a project car on the hoist in auto shop class.  I took some of that cheap flexible exhaust pipe and put it in place, then tacked every joint together.  I then took the conglomerate to an exhaust shop and asked them to make a solid exhaust for me in that manner.  It fit like a glove!

I’ve also in more recent years built exhaust pieces for projects by using old header tubes from a small block Chevy.  I don’t know what the small block Chevy of the UK is, but if you can find some old full length headers there will be all kinds of possibilities for building custom tubes.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

JoeM

I've used this pipe to make tractor exhaust. Price is reasonable. May even ship to your reasonably.

1181861641_Speedwayexhaustpipe.JPG.a8db76db7415cb018f1ba4e4c19e0c8b.JPG

• Like 4

Bear G
3 hours ago, Achto said:

Maybe @Bear G can post some pics of "The Stretch". The exhaust on his custom machine runs under the tractor and it sounds soooo cool.

I have stacks on some of my tractors and like the look & sound. Just have to remember to watch out for low tree limps that will try to tear the stack of when you drive under them.

Exhaust runs under the running board which is off right now.
Most many muffler shop will bend and retrofit the pipe about any way you want it.

hope this helps.

44DD0E4D-6C85-4CB4-93C6-141C147D744B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Stormin

I had a verticle stack on my C-125. Bit of a bind when mowing under a weeping willow by the pond. I've now fitted a Briggs & Stratton pepper pot one. Nothing fancy but functional.

P1030135.JPG.3c55cf631f5aebd6eef941d608e6dcd2.JPG

Original paint burnt off pretty quick. Repainted with BBQ paint.

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 4

Mickwhitt

If I copy the silencer barrel in stainless and get it piped up down low I think it could look good. 

But the vertical stack sounds good if I'm using her in snow or flood lol

I will give it some thought and chat to the local exhaust company.

Mick 

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor

I love the stack I put on my C125, but as others have said you have to really watch for low hanging branches. IMG_6550.JPG.0aa6a4c0625f5f4f49cd2fe2ff79cfc6.JPG

• Like 1

tom2p

years ago - long long time ago - I used a 2-stroke motorcycle silencer on a small tractor 

it was a longer silencer / spark arrestor - clamped on to a straight section of pipe that was attached (threaded) to the elbow pipe 

sorta / kinda like a small stack - but it was mounted horizontally instead of vertical 

maybe a current aluminum silencer from a 2 or 4 stroke dirt bike could be used ?

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1

KrazeyOlDave

I bought the 2.5” baffle, 1.625 elbow, 2.5” straight pipe on amazon, 2 stainless washers I made on a lathe. Took some 1/4” x 1” stainless flat stock and bent it up in a vice until I obtained my shape. All down hill from there. Tires don’t hit it and more importantly, keeps the heat away from my engine. I’m still building the tractor, it’s purpose will be light duty bucket tractor.

A840E8CD-A039-443C-B598-0B4D8D8E5ABD.jpeg

08197957-E924-40E0-B0E3-F3B3DE5EBB97.jpeg

BE1AC501-E577-43AD-A4BE-C74A69DE5F01.jpeg

CD7FA8DD-9311-4820-B8E8-78B2094B4FC4.jpeg

97E75B19-21C2-44F0-AA02-459D497263FF.jpeg

Edited by KrazeyOlDave
  • Like 1