Back on a horse

Hello All ...

Pullstart

:text-welcomewave: @Back on a horse!  @clueless Is in the pan handle, he might be able to help you with parts... or know someone who can!

:wwp:  

• Like 1

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Guest 88vic

Welcome !   You will soon discover that this is your second home. The door is always open and friends who become family welcome you with open arms. Theres no other like it anywhere. 

troutbum70

I would be careful hanging around this site, these guys and these WH tractors are very addictive. So if you hang around and get hooked all I can say is welcome to a very knowledgeable group of wrench turners.

• Haha 4

troutbum70

Also that's a great looking machine, good luck with it.

• Like 2

Tractorhead

Also a :text-welcomeconfetti:   To  :rs: from the other side of the big Pond.

Nice Rig

• Like 1

Stormin

Welcome from the :UK:  Get that C-160 sorted out. One Wheel Horse is not enough. :D

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

12Horse Paladin

Welcome!😊

OOOooohhh...i am no expert like so many here, but that 314...is it an anniversary model?

A c160 is high on my list of wants; i hope you can get it back up and running👍

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the best darn 

tractor site on the planet.

This is :rs:!!

Retired Wrencher

Back on a horse.  :WRS:  Nice find. That C 160 is a work horse.  Just take your time with it. There a bit hard to find.

Achto

:WRS: Nice looking tractor! It's really great to hear that your Dad's C160 is still around. It will be a great tractor to keep & maybe even restore. Few of us are able to own such a keep sake full of memories.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, Back on a horse said:

It only has one original front rim and the other is a mis-match.  The inner bearing on the original front rim appears to be mostly gone

:WRS:

Most 300 series came with 6" front rims but many of us have swapped to the 8" rims for a better ride. Replacement sealed bearings can be had at a reasonable price on :techie-ebay: and if you will meed spindles and rims do a post in the classifieds on here. :confusion-confused:  You could use the spindles and rims from the C-160 for the time being if needed. Lots of parts are interchangeable from model to model on a :wh:.

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

Welcome to the RS Forum! Very cool that you have retained the tractor with so much family history.  That will be a fun one to rebuild.  We recently restored this one which my dad bought a couple of years before I was born...

B9D1E5E7-48A5-4A60-B4F7-513FB02D34A8.jpeg.81f873ad53822b1ca25ae364af47c85d.jpeg

Thats me “driving it” at about 2 years old.  As the years went by, I used it for mowing, blowing, and garden work.  

D82293DF-4A3F-4FDB-8DD5-97ECC1EC3BC9.jpeg.5e7a30a8a16d5dc056c7570cead0242d.jpeg

This is me and my youngest a couple of years ago after we finished the resto.  I promise you, start a thread in the restoration section of the forum, and we will love following along.  If you have any vintage pictures of the C-160 those would be very much enjoyed here!  Every time that I start and drive the old 875 it brings back a ton of memories and I have no doubt that your c160 will do the same for you. I also happen to own a 314-8.  Mine is a couple of years older than your model but I love it.  They are tough and simple little machines designed and built for decades of work.  I’m sure that we will be able to help you with any parts that you may need to get it back to full operation.  Glad you found us!

• Like 5

clueless

Welcome from another Northwest Florida WH owner. What year is the C160.

Pullstart
9 hours ago, troutbum63 said:

I would be careful hanging around this site, these guys and these WH tractors are very addictive. So if you hang around and get hooked all I can say is welcome to a very knowledgeable group of wrench turners.

The warnings you heed... like we and tractors are a bad thing?

• Like 1

peter lena

great looking tractor , all of you issues or questions ,will find answers here, i agree with the 8" front wheel upgrade, they just look better on that horse. that water issue in the transaxel  ?  probably a torn shifter boot , easy to replace. change that oil after using the tractor a bit to warm it up  , also jack up the front end to increase drainage. 85x140  oil . from the looks  of that paint , i think it will buff out , with a light paint cutter , like meguires deep crystal paint cleaner, i use a 6" palm electric buffer ,for quick easy work. getting that horse with those hrs in that state condition , in today's Chinese  junk world , was a  very good deal, good luck with it , keep us informed , pete

Back on a horse

Wow, thanks so much for such a warm welcome!  I already feel like I have been here for years!  The C-160 is probably in better shape than I implied.  I know the shifter boot is shot so I am just worried about how much condensation has collected inside the transaxle over the years.  Dad had the top end redone about 15 years ago.  It has always been under a pole barn roof, but it is rusty and scattered.

@12 horse Paladin - What would the anniversary be?  The 314 has a gold wheel horse emblem between the headlights if that means anything..  Model 73402.

@953 Nut – I think the parts manual says 8” rims on my model.  I’ll check again though.

@Peacemaker Jack – Those are great pictures and you did an amazing job with that restoration!

@cluless – I don’t know the exact year.  I’ll have to look at the plate.

@Peter lena – 85w-140 for the C-160-8?  The owner’s manual for the 314-8 says SAE 90.  Can you elaborate on that?

• Like 1

Back on a horse

Went to Pensacola today and got some toys.  Also got a bottom plow that is not pictured.  The guy in Pensacola has a poor old C-160-8 for sale that has no reverse.  I told him he had a leaky axle seal so I pulled the dip stick ... stick is corroded and covered with mud.  It hurt to see that.  He said he wanted to restore it for his son but his son doesn't want it.  I didn't buy the tractor.  (I hope I am not breaking forum rules ... I know I can't post a link to the ad).

grader.jpg

cultivator.jpg

74584007_10100500522073029_8842171776411631616_n.jpg

Edited by Back on a horse
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Pullstart

I really like that leafy faded look!

• Like 3

Back on a horse

Camouflage.  It cost a little extra!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

clueless
13 hours ago, Back on a horse said:

Went to Pensacola today and got some toys.  Also got a bottom plow that is not pictured.  The guy in Pensacola has a poor old C-160-8 for sale that has no reverse.  I told him he had a leaky axle seal so I pulled the dip stick ... stick is corroded and covered with mud.  It hurt to see that.  He said he wanted to restore it for his son but his son doesn't want it.  I didn't buy the tractor.  (I hope I am not breaking forum rules ... I know I can't post a link to the ad).

grader.jpg

cultivator.jpg

74584007_10100500522073029_8842171776411631616_n.jpg

Not sure how I missed that one. I'm always glad to see someone get into the WH thing down here, but you can't just be coming into my backyard and snatching these things up :angry-tappingfoot:. Need to see a pic of your c160.

Edited by clueless
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

chip61

Actually not a bad looking C160-lots of potential there.