richm1386

Onan P216 Coil Replacement

richm1386

Quick story and a couple of questions concerning replacing the ignition coil on my '89 416-8 with Onan P216 engine. 

So I got this old tractor from my Dad when he replaced it and it was running okay until a few weeks ago. Was picking up sticks and hauling them out to the wood pile when I idled down the tractor and then it stalled out (which happens all the time.) I tried starting again and it would not turn over. The starter would go and go but no ignition. I spent a lot of time on these forums and found some really good info including the service manual. I used that diagnose the problem and figured out the coil was bad. I ordered a new off brand coil and condenser from Amazon for $40 swapped them in last night and it fired almost immediately. Plus since I had taken the shroud off and disconnected the throttle cable it was idling well at very low throttle. I've still got to reassemble everything properly but it seems like the coil was the culprit.

That said I've got a couple questions.

1. Anybody have any luck with non-Onan coils?The one I got from Amazon seems well made but it is literally some no name part. I figured for $40 it was worth a shot.

2. Does it matter which spark plug attaches to which plug on the coil? I forgot to take a photo before I disassembled. 

3. Could a failing coil cause very hard starts and stalling at low idle? I'm asking because as I said above the tractor has been very hard to start for years. Almost always needed to choke it. It would also stall out if you idled down nearly every time. Just the brief testing with the new coil that I've done, both of these issues seem much better. Also I used my Dad's replacement (early '90s 416-h with same engine) for this tractor while working on mine and it started and idled very easily. It looks like it might have a replacement coil as well. Just wondering. 

Thanks all.

• Like 1

lynnmor

1. Yes.

2. No.

3. Maybe.

953 nut

:WRS:

The aftermarket coil will probably last a long time and I am sure the old one contributed to the hard starting. Some new fuel lines and filter would also be a good idea too. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• richm1386
      By richm1386
      Looking for the following items that work with my '89 416-8.

1. Plow  
      2. Wheel weights 
      3. Snow Blower
      4. Mower Deck - any 

I'm located in Southern New Jersey. I've got a 400 foot long driveway and winters coming. I've used a plow on this tractor before but a blower might be a better option. I've got a 42" rear discharge deck but its seen better days. I've checked the for sale section and I'm not seeing much in my area. Just want to see if there is anything else out there. 

• Gas Man
      By Gas Man
      I just bought my first Wheel Horse.  She's a c-175 Automatic. Sounds like I stumbled onto a Crappy example of a Kohler as it has a KT17 series 1. The previous owner said "She was running when I shut her off"  That was around 2010.  So she's been sitting for around 10 years. The fuels system is a total disaster!!  I drained what looked like dark maple syrup from the tank.  I'm thinking about buying an ultra-sonic cleaner from Habor Freight for the carb work.
      First - Won't crank
      It took a while just to get her to crank ,(I have a tendency to go through the butt hole to work on the tonsils) I checked all of the safety switches (PTO, Seat, Brake) and found them to be good, then found the ignition wire "OFF" the solenoid.  Plugged it in....Cranks great.  
      NEXT - No Spark
      I have power to the coil when the key is on. 
      I pulled the flywheel expecting to check the points...ahhh...none there.
      Found a series of very dirty magnets that I suspect make up the charging system.
      I cleaned the magnets and put the flywheel back on....No spark.
      Then my dog got out and I didn't get back to the shed.  Hoping to get back out there today.
    • RJ Hamner
      By RJ Hamner
      I am in the process of rebuilding/restoring a 1994 416-8.
      The transmission has a tube/dipstick combo that the user is supposed to use to check the fluid level.
      The problem is the dipstick sets right on the top of the tranny and the hole in the seat pan is about 4 inches above it.
      So, unless you have REALLY skinny and long fingers you can reach it without using the square hole in the center of the seat pan. (which is really a PITA if you have arthritis)
      I know they make a longer tube and dipstick combo because I have seen the top of the dipstick sticking out of the hole on some models
      Anyone else had the problem and can recommend a "workaround"???
      Thanks Bob
    • tntatro
      By tntatro
      The stator and flywheel on this engine are different than others I have worked on so far. The stator is smaller in diameter and has a wire that runs out to a part that looks like an ignition coil but has no plug wire. I am wondering what it is and how do I wire it?

I'm not 100% positive that I put it back in the same spot it came but I think I did. I gapped it at .020" from the bump that sticks out on the flywheel, it is magnetized.

• RJ Hamner
      By RJ Hamner
      Had finished the Raider 12 and there was the lift, sitting there EMPTY..........

This is my $400  "barn find". It's a 94 416-8 with a little over 1100 hours. 
      It had been sitting for about 4 years after the PO bought a zero turn.
      The guy I work for part time told me his uncle had a Wheel Horse in his shed and he might want to get rid of it.
      He sent me some pictures.  It really looked like a brown lump.  But he did clean off the ID tag.
      The shed turned out to be more of a "run in" with a dirt floor (and it didn't face east)
      Took the power washer to it and YEP There was a Wheel Horse underneath.
      New battery, fuel lines,spark plugs and an air filter and it ran like a champ.
      Even mowed the front yard with it.
      Couldn't stand looking at the empty life so.......Let the fun Begin!