dells68

Been distracted lately

rjg854

I think the big D would be a good candidate for a military themed tractor.  Kinda has a deuce and a half look anyway.  :teasing-poke:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Can’t think of much a better tractor to hulk up with drab accessories!  Other than any :wh: along with it :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

adsm08
On 10/24/2019 at 9:30 PM, dells68 said:

Well, @pullstart checked in with me last week wondering if I’m ok.  Well, I guess I’m doing ok.  I’ve just been distracted by another one of my hobbies - vws.  I’ve got a 74 VW Thing that I hadn’t moved in about 7 years.  Emory was wanting to go for a ride as he doesn’t remember being in it when he was little.  I was really surprised that the battery still had 10.75 volts and all I had to do was drain the old gas (had been treated with fuel preservative) and charge the battery and she was off. We took it to a VW show a couple of weeks ago and I’ve been slowly mounting military accessories I have for it and collecting a few more.  Been kind of nice to mess with it again after all of this time!

91BE2D4B-7B28-4051-81F2-039444C37C97.jpeg

505CFC64-A4D3-4FC9-9054-EDD48FCA9F30.jpeg

F39F5FCF-CE8C-4D00-82C8-834F11E9F7C0.jpeg

E4E2E453-F576-4737-8424-8F2450F535AF.jpeg

77009343-A2C3-43F1-B264-B063FFEAAC16.jpeg

7CF2EFC0-10EB-4014-BE77-A3CD63FBC760.jpeg

6B55411E-3103-48BF-AF87-7FBC2F7CE664.jpeg

That's a slick ride, but I hear parts are hard to get.

I know a VW guy who has a line on just about everything in this and several other realities, and he tells me he can't get radiators, water pumps, or thermostats for any of those old VWs.

• Haha 4

dells68
20 hours ago, adsm08 said:

That's a slick ride, but I hear parts are hard to get.

I know a VW guy who has a line on just about everything in this and several other realities, and he tells me he can't get radiators, water pumps, or thermostats for any of those old VWs.

I knew I forgot something!  I couldn’t find a radiator for it anywhere!  Oh well, it does ok for now.  Parts aren’t too bad to get - lots interchange with bugs, but the thing only parts can be a little high.  Emory bugged me to finally get my bug going.  These pics are of it laid out on air ride.  Can’t drive it without raising it up a little😂!

DACFCDC6-787C-40C1-87EC-024D5A122AE9.jpeg

BD6A9E54-5C90-411C-9DE6-F701BF6C05E2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 2

PeacemakerJack

That is a super cool little bug Dells!  As you know, my kids and I really enjoy the time we get together while cruisin in our GTO.  It sure looks like Emory is really enjoying your Volkswagen.

Tell us some more about it.  Did you buy it this way? Restore it? How long have you had it?  Sweet little ride for sure:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

dells68
On 11/8/2019 at 12:22 AM, PeacemakerJack said:

That is a super cool little bug Dells!  As you know, my kids and I really enjoy the time we get together while cruisin in our GTO.  It sure looks like Emory is really enjoying your Volkswagen.

Tell us some more about it.  Did you buy it this way? Restore it? How long have you had it?  Sweet little ride for sure:handgestures-thumbupright:

Thanks Josh.  Emory is old enough that he is getting into the VW’s.  He’s the reason I’ve decided to wake them both up from their long slumber.  He’s been really excited about riding in them and his interest has sparked mine again.  I’ve actually had the bug about 21 years.   It was all stock with the metallic blue paint.  I’ve two toned it, replaced a few bent panels, added 67 and earlier bumpers, narrowed the front beam, notched the rear spring plates, added air ride, collected lots of accessories, then let it sit and rust after I lost interest with getting married, having Emory, and Mom getting sick and passing.  They’re not going to replace my wheel horses, but rather give Emory and I something else to do together.  That’s the best part!!!

• Like 3

Pullstart

Notch the spring plates?  Doesn’t that give it a lift?  

dells68
21 hours ago, pullstart said:

Notch the spring plates?  Doesn’t that give it a lift?  

Nope.  You can notch the  bottom and reindex the plate on the torsion bars for a lift, but I had to notch the tops of the plates and reindex the plates to let it sit lower.  It all depends on how many inner and putter splines you move in which direction.

• Like 1