Pullstart

Needs a name...

ebinmaine

Get your paint crew on changing those wheels to the appropriate Navajo white or Linen.

Do a little maintenance on it....

Smokes? Who cares!!??!!

Mobile mosquito repeller.

:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Stepney

I dubbeth thee, Sophia Petrillo!:D

• Haha 3

Stormin

Name? Smokey Joe?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Pullstart
5 minutes ago, Stepney said:

I dubbeth thee, Sophia Petrillo!:D

It’s not loud enough to be named after a Golden Girl!

• Haha 3

Tractorhead

When i see it first Time, my first thought was- oh, it‘s a Bandit...

Why? I remember this... 

FDB1E30F-1E3E-48FF-A4A6-8A3B72C089FB.jpeg.647bbec451de1c2c1e1a050b4ba2123a.jpeg

• Like 2

Achto
59 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Smokey Joe?

Nothing say "smooth" like Joe.

joe_camel-1.jpg.8fe0f316e6ce254705af293f15bef8b0.jpg

Yes this picture was edited in accordance with federal advertising laws. :thumbs2: :D

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

stevasaurus

I think I would call it a "C-81".   Now I know what you are talking about.  You know, you can name a kitty cat, but it never comes when you call it.  :hilarious:

If you have to name it...how about...   SEE, ATE ONE!!   :banana-linedance: :banana-linedance:

• Haha 7

clueless

Jessica, probably because while I'm reading this I'm listening to an Allman Brother's CD. Don't judge :angry-nono:.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

rjg854

Clyde  ?

• Like 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

I think I would call it a "C-81".   Now I know what you are talking about.  You know, you can name a kitty cat, but it never comes when you call it.  :hilarious:

If you have to name it...how about...   SEE, ATE ONE!!   :banana-linedance: :banana-linedance:

You be careful, I might just have to call it Steve!  

When you’ve got kids and so many tractors, you’ve gotta make it fun!  

• Haha 3
  • Heart 2

stevebo

All I k ow is that I would not repaint that one. Get the 2000 wet sand port out and buffer👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Pullstart

I noticed it looks faded, but original!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:rolleyes:  Humm...

:text-+1:vote for Steve then.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib

No better time than right now how about 

CHUCKY!!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Pullstart
1 hour ago, rjg854 said:

Clyde  ?

Thought about that, but it’s not quite Clydesdale size, and @PeacemakerJack‘s dad’s 953 is Clyde.  We wouldn’t want the, to be confused in the event of a plow day mixup...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

PeacemakerJack

I like “Smokey”...

as with any tractor that one names, it either comes to you through an observed characteristic or you just plain decide to call it that and stick with it.  

Not that hat I would know anything about naming tractors, cars, trees, etc:hide:

Regardless of the name, that is a cool little tractor Kevin and a sweet find!  I can’t wait to see that thing turning earth someday.

Pullstart

I must also say, our ‘69 Chevy C-10 is “Ole’ Smokey” too, though it doesn’t much puff any more.  When we picked it up, I went through 2 or three engines that burned oil more than an old Screamin’ Jimmy runaway!  

• Like 1

Achto

Make a pulley change so it's "born to boogie" & call it Bocephus. :confusion-shrug: What can I say I'm a Hank Jr. fan.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Heart 1

Macwrench

Name it Tommy... for Tommy Chong!  Smokes a lot!!!  :happy-jumpgreen:

• Haha 4

Pullstart

I think I’m gonna call it Steve. I love you man!

64FA72F9-64D7-47D2-95A0-0751E25178C2.jpeg

Edited by pullstart
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Stormin

Bit like comparing a Shetland Pony to a Clydesdale, Kevin. :D

• Haha 4

The Tuul Crib
5 hours ago, pullstart said:

I think I’m gonna call it Steve. I love you man!

64FA72F9-64D7-47D2-95A0-0751E25178C2.jpeg

Quick!!! Somebody get that man a

a beer and a remote!! 

:ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

953 nut

How about Raucht Viel?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Retired Wrencher
15 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Get your paint crew on changing those wheels to the appropriate Navajo white or Linen.

Do a little maintenance on it....

Smokes? Who cares!!??!!

Mobile mosquito repeller.

:lol:

Eric they do not make Linen beige  any more from what I understand.  I use Gloss  

Almond.

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• giddyap
      By giddyap
      I hope to make "It's my thing" my archival record. My first, It's my thing, "I do what I wanna do" is about my wheel standing Wheel Horse, this is about my C-81. Stock machines are just NOT my thing, I have to modify them to my pleasing, to be the apple of my eye, eye candy, or beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In other words, please take no offense in what I choose to do to my property. When I submit more "It's my thing" you know what to expect. 
      First photo is when it came home in stock condition. 2nd photo I removed the wrap around gas tank and added the underseat box and flip seat pan. 3rd photo atv 25x10-12 tires and raised seat pan. 4th is working mode. 5th added a 3/8 thick rubber scrapper between blade and cutting edge. Photos 6&7 light bar and back rest, a rear hanger to carry 60 pounds and the front of the hood is chopped 2 inches for a much improved profile. Somewhere between photos I sold the complete engine, PTO and wiring, removed PTO lever and dropped in a Predator 

• Redneckdavis
      By Redneckdavis
      This is going to be a slow project probably but I figured I'd start a build thread. I bought a pulling horse and it came with this c-81 for extra parts. Also a kid's puller for my little girl. 
           Homely looking thing missing front tires, and engine. Steering was rusted seized along with pedals and linkages. Extra hood(I don't know what it fits) and back fenders came from the grass next to where it had began to rot into guys yard. Who knows what else its missing but rear end oil is clean and it rolls.
         This is the wife's tractor. She originally wanted any tractor I could modify and turn into a mini Ford 8N. She has since fell in love with the horse and wants it built as is. 

• mhlmeader
      By mhlmeader
      Hi folks, I been on a quest lately to find a wheelhorse or two that I would actually use for mowing/work, instead of just putting around on.  I mow about 1.5 acres and have been using a husqvarna with 36 inch deck.  This past week I picked up two horses that I think will finally fit the bill.  Last week I got the 312-8.  And the other day,  I found this c-81.   It was owned for the last 25 years by the same family, hes a retired mechanic and took great care of it.  When I arrived to pick it up, he was actually greasing the deck for me:).  New paint,  tires, battery, belts.  He didn't refinish the deck, but maintained it very well.  I only had one picture to go on, when i agreed to buy it, but was VERY impressed when I saw it in person.  Runs like a kitten too!!!

• Ritter
      By Ritter
      Greetings All,
      Really nice site, and I am a new member.   As I kick back and eat my lunch,  I could not have imagined that Wheel Horse Tractor owners would have such a cool and well-organized place to ‘meet’ despite being out of production for so long.  My name is Ron and I have a 1979 C-81.   It has a WH pull-behind cart as well as a snow plow with chains, weights, etc..
      The tractor belonged to my grandfather, who purchased it new in 1979 for just over $1,100.00.  Some of my best memories are learning to drive it (barely reaching the pedals) and trying to understand the difference between the clutch and brake.   I believe at one point it had a lawn sweeper, which eventually just dragged and made skid marks across the lawn until it was retired.
      My grandfather drove this tractor year-round for 7 years until he passed away.  In the winter it was plowing and hauling logs to the house, in the spring it aerated,  fall it mulched, summer it mowed.   The C-81 always remained at his house and in my family.

The most interesting part (or at least interesting to me) is that for the last 39 years, this mower has been in-service without missing one season.  It has never been out of commission.   To this day, we have it picked up for service every year and it is still running on its original 8hp Kohler Engine and cuts just over an acre of lawn.  The only major replacements were pulley bearings for the blade deck and a starter motor.   It is ultra-quiet and never strains while performing its tasks. So, when you look at the picture,  you probably see a beat up old machine, but I can assure you that is a tried-and-true Wheel Horse used year-round for nearly 4 decades and maintained as best we thought possible.  It’s a testament to a reliable and powerful brand. 

That said,  I have decided to lessen the workload on this machine and perhaps get another Wheel Horse as a tribute to my Pop.    The main issue is that the cutting deck on this machine is between 32-34” (I believe) and it takes a long time to cut the lawn.  (although I enjoy the peaceful feeling of doing it, it’s not conducive with my day job).   The secondary issue is that this is a rear-discharge deck.  I’d like to somehow bag the clippings for most of my cuts in order to feed my mulch/compost pile.   I’m open for suggestions as to what model would be best.   I do have some hills (a few steep).  

One final note…
      I’d love to crown this C-81 with a new (or comparable) seat.   My goal is to get one as close to original as possible, with the same bolt patterns.  I can provide photos if needed.  Any help would be appreciated.   Again, glad to be a part of this community, and please bear with me as I get used to navigating this site.   
      Thanks for reading.

• Rob R
      By Rob R
      Have  a C-81 with a 48" Snow Plow, the current Steel Bottom Scrapper  Blade  is on it's last season..... I have noticed as of late that quite a few folks are installing the POLY blades.....  I plow a 100' macadam driveway and my concern and/or question is how well and how DURABLE are these blade. I did install feet on my existing steel blade plow (see pics) to limit the normal wear.   Thanks for you input