Jump to content
Cee245

Night mowing, who else does this?!

Recommended Posts

Cee245

Hello,

 

I've been putting in a lot of hours at work for our grape season and just finally had some time to mow.  

I live near Erie, PA and the sun is setting not long after I get home.  

I had just enough time to mow the grass (mostly leaves) this evening.

 

Who else is going through this? Lol

 

97 Toro Wheel Horse 416H with about 800 hrs on the clock. 

 

 

Cory

20191021_185031.jpg

20191021_185052.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
pfrederi

Not me!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Wishin4a416

We keep 20 acres clean here and I mow a lot in the summer real late evening. Nice and peaceful up back on the ridge. Use the diesels tho with 72 inch cut.:hide:  Just spent a week at Erie fishing. Did real good. Not last week and darn glad. It was nasty. The week before.

Edited by Wishin4a416
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ronwh

The Wheel Horse  Mafia .:ROTF:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine

We don't mow with a horse but we do have lots of chores/work to do after the sun is down.

We both work 9 plus hours and commute over an hour Each way.

 

 

Headlamp.

Super handy.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
tom2p

I've cut a fair amount of grass at night 

 

at one time primarily because of my one kid's sports - multiple sports spring through fall - sometimes multiple teams and sometimes overlapping sports 

 

work demands and weather also contributed 

 

thought that would be behind me since he is now away at college - but just the past two weekends cut some in the dark 

 

also cut with 416-H - and 312-8 also

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
tom2p

found a great thread or two on LED lights on this site 

 

( Weatherproof PAR36 LED Landscape Light Bulbs )

 

might try LED lights in the future 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Gracie's Dad

I don't, but watched the neighbor doing it less than a week ago...I do plow almost exclusively in the dark...work 12 hr shifts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine
Just now, Gracie's Dad said:

do plow almost exclusively in the dark

Yepp.

 

Us too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Cee245

Well, I got the mowing done today.

 

This may be the last mowing of the season 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
adsm08
2 hours ago, Cee245 said:

Hello,

 

I've been putting in a lot of hours at work for our grape season and just finally had some time to mow.  

I live near Erie, PA and the sun is setting not long after I get home.  

I had just enough time to mow the grass (mostly leaves) this evening.

 

Who else is going through this? Lol

 

97 Toro Wheel Horse 416H with about 800 hrs on the clock. 

 

 

Cory

20191021_185031.jpg

20191021_185052.jpg

 

2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Not me!!! 

 

I almost did. I have to watch mowing after 7 though, I keep the kids up,

 

 

I gotta hit the grass at least once more, we had warm and wet most of last week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ZXT

I can't stand mowing at night.. Here in a few weeks we lose daylight savings time (which should be a federal crime) so it'll be getting dark stupid early, but hopefully mowing is about done for the season so I won't have to do it in the dark after I get home from work!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine
6 hours ago, ZXT said:

daylight savings time (which should be a federal crime)

Agreed.

I'm not a fan of changing times.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
AMC RULES

:confusion-shrug:  I've always liked doing it in the dark best.  :text-woo:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
The Tool Crib
10 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:confusion-shrug:  I've always liked doing it in the dark best.  :text-woo:

:text-yeahthat:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Pollack Pete

Not me.I hit enough things in my yard mowing in the day time.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
The Tool Crib
15 hours ago, ZXT said:

I can't stand mowing at night.. Here in a few weeks we lose daylight savings time (which should be a federal crime) so it'll be getting dark stupid early, but hopefully mowing is about done for the season so I won't have to do it in the dark after I get home from work!

 With the LED technology nowadays how much electricity are we really saving by changing the clocks.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
tom2p
6 hours ago, Pollack Pete said:

Not me.I hit enough things in my yard mowing in the day time.


on that note 

 

earlier this year when cutting in the dark - I brushed against some cut branches, etc in the back of our property 

 

a branch got into the PTO belt area - and then belt grabbed the branch and pulled out and tore into the front portion of the wiring harness (near the starter and lights)

 

lights went out and I heard all this racket and shut it down ...  pushed it back to the house to survey the damage 

 

initially devastated - but fortunately not too bad ;  had to re-do couple wires / make new wire ends and then everything worked ok (whew)

 

just after this happened was reminded just how important the 416-H is - even though we also have a 312-8 - so I began the search for another 416-H ;  can cut more grass in less time with 416-H compared to 312-8


that is the only issue / problem we've had with the 416-H - close to 1000 hours - with just basic maintenance (basically just oil and filter changes, grease fittings, and change belts ... and the old OEM WH belts will go a long time) 


312-8 with close to 800 hours - no issues ... zero zilch ... nothing 


gotta love the Wheel Horse durability / reliability 

Edited by tom2p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ZXT
1 hour ago, The Tool Crib said:

 With the LED technology nowadays how much electricity are we really saving by changing the clocks.?

Probably not much. I don’t care about any of that, I just want it to get dark as late as possible.

  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, ZXT said:

Probably not much. I don’t care about any of that, I just want it to get dark as late as possible.

 

Screenshot_20191022-141016.png.d1e6452a1653f756e2ed6555a9e643c9.png

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ZXT
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

 

Screenshot_20191022-141016.png.d1e6452a1653f756e2ed6555a9e643c9.png

Jeez, and I thought it getting dark at 5:29 here on the shortest day of the year was bad!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ronhatch

With farming in my blood, I'm a big believer of "Making hay while the sun shines" .  I've been mowing for over 60 years and never once mowed after dark.  Heck, I enjoy being out in the sun, mowing too much to do it in the dark, plus the grass gets damp, which isn't the best for mowing :angry-nono:.  It's all in your priorities guys!  Now Drinking  some beer  and/or wine with the wife on the patio after dark is a different story. :handgestures-thumbupright:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Stormin

 Can't mow in dark or daylight. :( Grounds that wet here even the walk behind leaves tracks. The amount of rain we've had it'll take till next year to dry out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine

@ZXT

Yeah I kind of have to take that with a grain of salt.

Two things make our days very short.

I'm more north than most of the country.

 

Also, geographically, we should actually be in the Atlantic time zone.

the only reason we are not is because the main state government feels it would be an inconvenience to be on a different time zone than New Hampshire and Massachusetts.

Even with that said it would be 5:09, not 4:09. So yes our days are shorter than Southern areas.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
tom2p
4 hours ago, ronhatch said:

With farming in my blood, I'm a big believer of "Making hay while the sun shines" .  I've been mowing for over 60 years and never once mowed after dark.  Heck, I enjoy being out in the sun, mowing too much to do it in the dark, plus the grass gets damp, which isn't the best for mowing :angry-nono:.  It's all in your priorities guys!  Now Drinking  some beer  and/or wine with the wife on the patio after dark is a different story. :handgestures-thumbupright:


these were my priorities ;

 

 

2B3E3FC6-835F-4E11-83C7-A5E641638358.jpeg

F0ED907A-A189-44E3-926C-A056F40F7FFD.jpeg

B99040D3-95B7-4FD0-9CC3-143105690632.jpeg
 

 

if we didn't have a game we were on a field practicing 

 

 

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...