bc.gold

Lister / Petter PJ2

bc.gold

Fifty year old Lister Petter with a Stamford 15 kw head, I'm expecting this to arrive sometime next week.

2.jpg

1.jpg

• Like 4

troutbum70

You going to back up a hotel or half your neighborhood hi hi?

• Like 2

bc.gold
1 hour ago, troutbum63 said:

Bought the Kohler Lister a year ago, this one is 6.5 Kw,  time to quit before I'm accused of being a collector.

SR2Z.jpg

engine-id.jpg

genrator-ID.jpg

• Like 1

bc.gold
On 10/19/2019 at 9:53 PM, troutbum63 said:

bc.gold

Petter PJ is home. 1892 km's traveled  fuel cost $308.00. almost lost a wheel on the last 15 Km's from home.

genloaded.jpg

nuts.jpg

barn.png

bc.gold

Now to cut three pieces of large diameter pipe to use as rollers to place this beast into place, two rollers are placed under the skids then as the generator moves forward the spare roller is placed in its path.

lift.jpg

lift2.jpg

• Like 1

bc.gold

Fortunately the nesting critters did not chew any wires and there's no urine smell or metal rot usually associated with the piss.

nest.jpg

Edited by bcgold

bc.gold

Manitoba probably has the worse road surfaces in Canada, after hours of thumping across those surface breaks this wheel came lose. If you were sitting on a jury how would you rule on this evidence.

The generator being hauled weighs in at 1200 pounds, the wheel that came lose had never been recently removed the passengers side with an aluminum rim was installed for the trip. And it did not suffer the same fate.

nuts.jpg

bc.gold

Fired up the PJ this afternoon but forgot to open the fuel line and there's still some air on one of the injectors causing the engine to run rough.

Once I get the generator moved into the back room to exhaust will be properly vented out from an old chimney. Also once the engine is at operating temperature the smoke will ease up.

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1

bc.gold

One large nut dead center holds to rocker cover in place, there's absolutely no excuse for what I found. No valve lash at all in fact the rockers were so tight they were actually pushing down on each valve, could not even insert the thinnest feeler gauge.

Valve lash is set 0.010" both intake and exhaust cold.

Now that the valves have been adjusted it should make a huge difference on how the engine will run, will post a short video tomorrow for comparison.

The operators manual says not to use the compression release for starting engines equipped with electric starter and not to use the comp release to shut the engine down.

• Like 1

bc.gold

The top video is as purchased before  I had adjusted the valve lash, engine sounds like it has a miss and a puff of smoke coming from the exhaust.

In the video below the engine is purring like a cat and that puff of smoke is now gone, yea the garage is full of smoke this is from cold start.

• Like 1

bc.gold

On disclosure previous owner said the PJ used a liter of oil every eight hours run time, now that the valves have been adjusted with each cylinder doing a more efficient job of burning the fuel injected into it rather than the un-burnt raw fuel doing a nasty wash down.

I suspect oil consumption will be down if not totally eliminated.

I'm going to hook up a bunch of electric heaters then do a four hour load test.

Edited by bcgold

bc.gold

Petter is getting moved into a back room attached to my shop, this beast is heavy.

Earlier to day I replaced a faulty oil pressure gauge that sat at zero, the new gauge shows 60 psi cold. If the pressure remains  this high I'm going to make adjustments to the pump relief valve.

Oil Pressure Too High https://highwayandheavyparts.com/n-12786-excessive-oil-consumption-explained.html

When the oil pressure is too high, the engine can flood with an abnormally large amount of oil. This excess oil can get thrown into the cylinders, where it will be burnt away. Sometimes high oil pressure can be caused by an incorrect oil pressure setting or a faulty relief valve.

This is from the Petter PH2 shop manual.
pressure.png

Edited by bcgold

bc.gold

The generator has been successfully relocated into the back room the room is a total mess last summer a bear came on and tipped over a 45 gallon drum of used cooking oil.

home.jpg

bc.gold

Made a trip over to my favorite electrical contractor, big savings over shopping at Home Hardware. I picked up that partial roil of Teck for $1.00 a ft.

The Teck is the less expensive aluminum wire the shop gave me a tube of anti oxidant used for aluminum to aluminum or aluminum to copper connections.

Made a stop at a muffler shop to pick up three feet of pipe with an expanded end along with a clamp, the generator should be ready for her load test by the end of the week.

The box of junk next to the spool is full of infrared daylight sensors hooked up to a WIFI relay previously used to trigger lights to turn off once enough day light has been detected.

teck.jpg

bc.gold

Petter PJ has new valves guides, valves and injector nozzles on the way for cylinder head overhauls.

New old stock genuine Petter manufactured parts that are reasonably priced.

pj-valves.jpg

• Like 1

bc.gold
On 11/11/2019 at 8:06 PM, bcgold said:

Petter PJ has new valves guides, valves and injector nozzles on the way for cylinder head overhauls.

New old stock genuine Petter manufactured parts that are reasonably priced.

pj-valves.jpg

Those parts were advertised to fit Petter PJ but according to part numbers they are for the Lister ST series engine which fortunately is what is on the Kohler generator.

The seller also short changed me on two injector nozzles, which after a phone call now claims they're in the mail.

Below is one of the connecting rod shells from number one cylinder, I've seen much worse. The bearing is standard so I know now that the crank has never been to a machine shop and it still looks to be in good condition.

Connecting rod bearings as a rule of thumb wear out 2 to 1 on the mains

b1.jpg

b2.png

Edited by bcgold

bc.gold

We had an extended power outage today, good time to fire up that Petter. Engine fires on second revolution, she's a bit smoky for the first 4 minutes.

After she warms up I throw the breaker onto power, ah where's the power. I turn the engine off then recheck my electrical connections and they all seem to be fine. Still no power.

This is an old alternating current generator and I'm not able to find any information on it other than the Petter is from the mid 1970's.

The generator head is a Stamford and most of what I learned was from an old Winco document and from this now know that the exciter generator attached to the end of the main armature rotor may over time loose its residual magnesium.

Also a possibility the AVR ( Automatic Voltage Regulator ) is faulty and may have been the reason why the original owner decided to sell.

After snaking the camera into the cubbyhole , with a picture was able to get the model number of the AVE, found a downloaded a fresh document complete with instructions on how to flash the exciter. Fingers crossed hoping for the lesser of two evils.

The pair of unused wire spades are used for 50hrz operation a different pair used for 60hrz

Generator Flash Instructions.

PJ-s-Besler-Regulator.jpg

bc.gold

The Petter PJ-2 see's daylight.

https://youtu.be/4Kb1xgrxp-Q

Edited by bc.gold