Sign in to follow this  
Brian

Tips for receiving free tractor

Brian

I have a chance to get a free John Deere tractor. Its been outside for I dont know how long, and I have a possible chance for picking it up.

Its a 1960's John Deere 110 Round Fender. The round fenders are pretty rare. (at least I think)

So its at my cabin in the guys yard and i tresspassed to look at it, people wernt home (shhh dont tell) and I examined it. Tires either dont hold air or just flat from sitting outside (weather cracks), I moved the shifter, moved, wasnt frozen, not sure if it would shift when running, has a starter generator, has the belt of of the generator. It could be like my sears suburban that it needs a new one. There seemed to be alot of oil diposits around the cylinder and exhaust. I never lifted to hood (should have) to see the motor. Looked like a 10 hp (?) Kohler. Also the steering was loose. It would turn for a while before it would try to move the wheels. Also the paint looks good still. Still has a mower deck. I think I should be able to snap this up for free. So what else should I be looking for? Sounds like a good deal. Then ill have 5 tractor and I am only 14!

The tractor looks just like the tractor in the picture, minus the AG tires and shape of course!

Also,

Any tips for getting rid of loose steering cause my dad said it could be bad in the long run.

Thanks!

Attached Image

post-12-1240181368.jpg

TJ

Nothing wrong with free, and if it has too many problems, the John Deere guys love those tractors, and will gladly take it off your hands. :omg:

Jim_M

Those old John Deeres are a bear to work on and the parts are pricey. If it's in sad shape I would part it out, sell the parts on eBay and use the money to feed my Wheel Horse habit.

Brian

Those old John Deeres are a bear to work on and the parts are pricey. If it's in sad shape I would part it out, sell the parts on eBay and use the money to feed my Wheel Horse habit.

But it costs money to list on Ebay doesnt it?

I think I am ready. I am saving up my money for this hopefully summer project. It will take some time. Once again I think that I am ready. Now its more of a waiting game. To see when hes out at the cabin, Then to see how to talk to him to get him to try to give it up. Hes an older guy, I am sure he wouldnt have the time to fix her up, So I am just crossing my fingers tight.

CasualObserver

It's probably only a K-181 8HP. You might get lucky and it's an earlier K-161, but not likely. I'm pretty sure they never put a 10 HP in the round fenders. T-Mo will be around later, he'd know for certain. Free is always good. The round fender deeres aren't rare, but they are a collector item, and depending on condition can fetch pretty good prices. As with any tractor, parting it out is the way to get the most money out of it. If it's not a project you want to tackle... you might just see if you can get it, and turn a quick profit. Good luck either way. Oh... an Jim's right... they can be a real PITA to work on compared the a good old simple Wheel Horse. Good part is that they have a very large following that you can ask questions of, and many parts are still available through Deere.... you're gonna pay for them though! :omg:

Brian

It's probably only a K-181 8HP. You might get lucky and it's an earlier K-161, but not likely. I'm pretty sure they never put a 10 HP in the round fenders. T-Mo will be around later, he'd know for certain. Free is always good. The round fender deeres aren't rare, but they are a collector item, and depending on condition can fetch pretty good prices. As with any tractor, parting it out is the way to get the most money out of it. If it's not a project you want to tackle... you might just see if you can get it, and turn a quick profit. Good luck either way. Oh... an Jim's right... they can be a real PITA to work on compared the a good old simple Wheel Horse. Good part is that they have a very large following that you can ask questions of, and many parts are still available through Deere.... you're gonna pay for them though! :omg:

I do like WheelHorse and all, its just that I have never found a Horse where I have lived! Or else I would have had one by now!

KyBlue

Where do ya live Brian?/? Might have to do like the old song says...mail ya one, one piece at a time.. lol

Brian

Where do ya live Brian?/? Might have to do like the old song says...mail ya one, one piece at a time.. lol

Winnipeg Manitoba

KyBlue

One piece @ a time it'll prolly have to be!

HorseFixer

Hope ya get it! :omg:

Brian

Ill update this if i get this machine.

T-Mo

I sort of came to this party late. Jason is right, it's probably a K-181. The only 10 hp JD put on the round fenders were 10 hp Tecumsehs on the 112. The round fendered JDs aren't rare, there's plenty out there. The only round fenders considered rare would be a true '63, with the fiberglass fenders or possibly an early '64 or a '66 hydraulic lift.

The JDs were harder to work on than the horses, but not THAT hard. If I can work on one and get it back together, it can't be too hard. :omg:

Also a good source is WFM