N875ED

312-8 Range Shift Stuck in High

N875ED

My 312-8 is locked in the high range....no amount of pressure on the shift lever can get it into low range. (The lever moves about half-way in its throw but then gets stiff.) I have tried with the engine stopped, engine running, transmission in all 4 gears, moving, not moving, etc and no joy. Any suggestions to get it into low?

gwest_ca

Have seen where the plate the shifter comes up through prevent the shifter from moving far enough to get the shift but that does not sound like it is the problem.

Still may be worth the effort to remove the plate to make sure nothing is blocking the lever under the plate.

Garry

peter lena

seen this before, do not continue to force the range lever, have you ever changed the transmission oil ?  on two of my 312-8  tractors , bought used , i had the same issue. fluid level was extremely  low and filthy , immediately added a lighter weight oil , to enhance the lubrication , and act as a flushing  lube. NEXT IS VITAL do you have a open road or cul de sac near by ? you have to drive this to heat things up , not crawl around on your lawn. i drove every gear , foward and reverse , eventually getting to use low range. then drive it home  , jack up front end and flush out trans, i refilled it with atf fluid ,for the second flush and drive . at that point you will probably notice things working easier. put some time on the lighter atf oil for flushing , till color change, then replace with 75x 130  oil . your shift boot is probably torn ,letting in water / crud. change it. both of my neglected used tractors , shift without effort , or issues.  recovering neglect , takes time, its not a one and done quick fix , been there done that , pete    

The Tuul Crib

The main thing is do not force it !

@stevasaurus can answer this one. 

He is the transmission guru!!

N875ED

Peter L.

Yes, I live on a quiet street so can do as you say with a "hi speed"/low torque drive around the neighborhood. Great advice...Thanks!

• Like 1

stevasaurus

There is a fork at the end of the hi/low shifter that can bend or even break.  If your oil is good and your trans is clean (post above), then this is probably what is wrong.  You will need to drop and open the trans to fix it.  The thing to do is do not force it.  The second thing to do is just use high range until you  get the chance to open it up.

You are in luck...kind of.  My brother has an 8 speed that needs axle bearings and he is going to bring it over here for me to take apart and fix.  I am going to make a thread for opening and fixing this trans.  If you can wait a week or two, I will be able to show you in a video of what you may have going on.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 4

tunahead72

Can't wait Steve! :popcorn:

• Thanks 1

peter lena

N875ED,used that cul de sac and other empty streets to get after issues ,after an engine swap, brought a tool bag along and test drove many miles , and got right after issues , wiring, carb , shifting, etc. it just kept getting better , my original  82 black hood is my favorite , let us know how you make out , pete 

N875ED

Thanks, everyone for your advice...you guys are great! I'm in no hurry, so am looking forward to Steveosaurus' video of the disassembly.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

@N875ED , I finally got my brother's trans (#5091) and took it apart.  I have not done the video yet, but I have verified that the mechanism is exactly the same as what is in the #5060 transmission.  That means that you can watch the #5060 video and do the #5091.  This 1st video is where I have taken it apart...2nd video is where I put it back together.  You can clearly see the fork that I think you may have that is bent or broke.  BTW, that fork is attached to the piece that holds the detente ball and spring.  We will have to see what you have before we talk about fixing or replacing that part.  :occasion-xmas:

This 2nd video shows me struggling to put this hi/lo back together.  You will see that I actually do it wrong at first and have to back up a little and do it again, But you will get an excellent look at how this all works.

I am still going to do a thread on the #5091.  Waiting on some bearings and seals, so maybe this week.  

N875ED

Thanks, Stevasaurus. That's a big help!

• Like 1

N875ED

I took the 5091 apart last night and, indeed, the shift fork is broken. Where is the best place to buy a replacement (new or used) along with the case split-line gasket?

stevasaurus

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/141-wheelhorse-parts-and-more/  Lowell has the case half gasket...$ 9.00.  I would post in the Want Ads for the fork gear hi/low.  TORO may still sell these also.  Lincoln at A - Z tractors may have one also.   Shift fork part # 7209

You may also be able to have it welded...depending on where it is broke.  :occasion-xmas:  If you do try to weld it, take out that bolt and the detente ball and spring.