ohiofarmer

Titan Industrial air compressor

ohiofarmer

Hey guys.  I just got a Titan given to me. It is s wheelbarrow type of 8 gallon capscity with a Honda 5.5 horsepower, I think .  I went on the website and they are valued at maybe 1500 new.

The engine is rough and missing some parts and may or may not be a Honda  and is missing the recoil assy. These compressors have an idle cut back switch and run constantly, do you kmow what I am talking about.

Just off the truck so more later.Kind of excited about this one

• Like 1

ebinmaine

:popcorn:

I've seen those in the construction industry here in New England quite a few times.

Triple check the area around the drain and low spots of the tank for rust.

if the tank is solid it's worth spending several hundred dollars or more to put a new engine on.

The Tuul Crib

I saw the same type on Facebook last night. Meaning the wheel barrel type. 

It was powered by a K1 81 Kohler . 

Pullstart

Putt Putt is powered by an air compressor engine.  I picked it up for a song as it needed repair.  It was a pretty cool setup, if I recall.  It idled down to run with no load, then ramped up to make pressure.

ohiofarmer

It looks like this one, except mine is a twin cylinder. https://www.govdeals.com/?fa=Main.Item&itemid=221&acctid=6209.

One of the pictures shows the throttle cut back valve. I need to do a few tests, and may even try to use a surplus electric motor, because it might not take much to run it since it does not really start under a full load. I have a Harbor freight gas powered unit, so there is something to examine on the idle control...

Pics are coming...

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

I rescued a 2500 watt  ONAN gen set from a scrapped '70s era Snow Cone truck.   It was used to power the freezer for the crushed ice.   

The unit was hard wired into the truck battery and started and charged the battery.   The fuel line was also plumbed into the trucks fuel tank. 

I added a fuel tank, wheels, and a retractable tongue for towing.     I didn't add a battery because it starts so easy with the rope.  In addition to the 120VAC output, It also puts out 13VDC and could be used as a battery charger. 

It has the idle switch.  When this is on, it only revs up when it sees a load.   

102_0783.JPG.49121c884e866d62c23a6339b930ce15.JPG102_0786.JPG.d2c7a4d9a165f8ac779b22b00feb3f39.JPG102_0785.JPG.ba552319e5cab3dabe9431738c96b179.JPG102_0787.JPG.b105a09d67dec086490424d850c94442.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ohiofarmer

Wow. I did a quick disassembly of the compressor, removing the belt shield .  I mated a male and female threaded fitting so I could fill the compressor with air, and no leaks!. I then removed the engine and cleaned off the oil greasy oil from the rest of the compressor.  It looks honestly used, but pretty good for school bus yellow.

There is no pressure switch, just an internal pop-off valve, and another valve that terminates in a throttle cable. In other words, The air pressure limit valve operates the cycling of air pressure all by itself and also operates the engine throttle as well They simply attached that cable directly to the throttle of a standard [Honda?] engine.

I will do further testing of the compressor unit, and if it is working, I can have it fixed for a $99.00 harbor Freight 6.5 HP engine with no modification.

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1

ohiofarmer

The compressor works a treat. I turned it with a drill, but did not want to go too far and break the retaining bolt for the big pulley. So we will mount one of the big electrics or the 6.5 predator on it. The engine was full of 75% water and 25% oil. It will turn, but what is the point, with too many missing parts .

Also a Cambpell - Hausfield  pressure washer came in the same load . 3 GPM and 3000PSI All i wanted it for was the base to mount a little hotdog air compressor on, because I assumed with its 7.8 HP seized Japanese Briggs, that it probably had a busted pump.  After watching Mustie1 [video] free up a small engine in similar fashion, I turned the engine with a wrench and then a drill motor. The only seized thing about it is the corroded flywheel/coil. It may be a runner as well. but first I need to pull it down and clean up the flywheel and coil. 

A friend of mine has a son who is a scrapper, and this could develop into something.he was hauling this stuff for his son because his son hurt his back. I am thinking on giving him a junk car as payment for anything small engine related that might come in...

When it rains, it pours.  The guy who gave me this stuff has a snow blower that needs carb service, so there is that to do as well. 

• Excellent 1