Ed Kennell

PENNDOT in action

The Tuul Crib

That dont done that method around 

here.  They just put down regular asphalt here.

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, The Tool Crib said:

regular asphalt

Us too. Cool pix Ed. Thanks for sharing.

Achto
1 hour ago, The Tool Crib said:

They just put down regular asphalt here.

What they are doing is a seal coat to preserve the asphalt. This is a very common practice in WI. They put tar & pea gravel over the asphalt, it takes a week or two of cars driving on it before it becomes a good solid surface again. Once hardened up, this type of surface provides much better traction in the rain & snow.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Achto said:

What they are doing is a seal coat to preserve the asphalt. This is a very common practice in WI. They put tar & pea gravel over the asphalt, it takes a week or two of cars driving on it before it becomes a good solid surface again. Once hardened up, this type of surface provides much better traction in the rain & snow.

I've seen that done somewhere around but I can't remember where.

Maine doesn't do anything like that at all.

Frost around here can get 5 ft deep in a very cold year and almost none of the roads are well enough prepared for it because of the extreme expense it takes to build a road bed that is that deep.

my sister used to live in Wisconsin and I know for a fact that gets colder there than it does here so I don't know how you all keep your roads from flying up in giant piles of cracked asphalt like what happens around here.

• Like 1

pfrederi

The PennDot method also makes for lots of stone chips in your paint and windshield and tar blobs on the rocker panels....  i have lived in several states over the years and PennDot is the absolute worst.  They couldn't find their butt with both hands and a road map....:P

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Achto
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I don't know how you all keep your roads from flying up in giant piles of cracked asphalt like what happens around here.

Something like this is not that uncommon on county, town, & some state roads. Asphalt has lasts from 5 to 10yrs around here, depending on how heavy ( amount of & weight ) the traffic is. Most county and town roads will also have weight restrictions on them in the spring and during wet seasons.  

My thoughts on pavement " If it ain't concrete, it's your own asphalt " :thumbs2:

• Haha 4
  • Heart 1

The Tuul Crib

They did or probably still do this in lowa. 

We had several rural roads in the country.

We had lots of chipped windows and 

chipped paint too.

• Sad 2

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Achto said:

restrictions

Yep. Same here.

The city of Portland doesn't post any roads at all. The rest of  the coastal towns post a few.

you get inland a little bit and every road that is not a numbered route is shut down for about 2 or 3 months every spring to anyting that is 23000 lbs or even less

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

That's probably what the three guys behind the rear operator are doing.

102_0637.JPG.f71c1e80cf49e419022ede370b9810aa.JPG

Now Ed and Paul don't be so silly...

you both know as well as I do that's the navigator, first assistant navigator, and second assistant navigator.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

WHX??

It's the idiots flying down the road at 90 mph on new seal coat that causes the paint chips. :wacko:

• Like 1

Achto
36 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

every road that is not a numbered route is shut down for about 2 or 3 months every spring to anyting that is 23000 lbs or even less

Average restriction here is 7 tons per axle.

• Thanks 1

pfrederi
6 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I don't know Jim.    I just got back from the auction....about a 5 mile trip.    I stayed under 20 MPH and it sounded like the bottom of the van was being shot blasted.

Yeah, I was smart enough to drive Mrs K's Caravan instead of my F-150.    She will never notice the tar and chips.

The stuff PennDot uses flies up at very low speeds.

• Like 1

SPINJIM

Half of the gravel ends up on the shoulder of the road, and chips your paint on the way.  When you cut your grass along the edge of the road, be careful, because your mower deck will be throwing gravel.    It's cheaper for PennDOT, that why they do it.   The used that system near me last spring, and it blasted the bottom of my car for two months.

Jim

• Like 1

Stormin

They do similar over here. Skim of tar then cover with chippings. Finally pass a roller over and leave passing vehicles to do the rest. Oh! Lets not forget the holes and patches they hide. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

953 nut
3 hours ago, Achto said:

Once hardened up, this type of surface provides much better traction in the rain & snow.

:text-yeahthat:       NCDT did our road with the same system about four years ago and is is holding up well.

• Like 1

c-series don

No more oil and stone around here anymore, just resurfacing with asphalt now. As a kid I remember they did oil and sand which worked very well because if the road cracked in the winter from frost the oil and sand mix would become pliable in the summer and mend itself back together. This was done using MC (medium cure) oil. When oil and stone is used it’s usually RC (rapid cure) I used to work for a large paving company where we did roads,driveways, tennis courts etc. A properly installed oil and stone driveway will last many, many years. However I don’t care if it’s asphalt or oil and stone if the base is not properly installed( this is mainly what I did, I was the grader man) it’s not going to last long! 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

squonk

Timely discussion. We have lived in this house for 31 years. The road out front  is NY ST. RT. 96 ( also a village street ) When we moved in I called the village street dept about some gravel out front. They said the state was going to come thru and put in curbs, sidewalks and repave. Mind you this was 1988. Since then Main street (also a state highway) has been paved 5 times. The companion street to us to the north (also Rt. 96)  was redone with curbs and sidewalks and repaved 2 more times.Our section got nothing but hot patch.

In 2010 the state had plans for our section. Replace 2 bridges, rehab a third, and the sidewalks which by disability law they have to have, curbs drainage and repave. We had all kinds of meetings ect. They cut down one of my trees, I moved a fence It was happening!!  They started on the bridges and when they got to the third one they find out it needs to be replaced to. So no more work on my end just a patch job where the pavement was shot here and there.

Now the fall of 2019. I see paint all on the road. They dig up all the water line connections to check them. We are told they are going to pave at the end of Sept. BUT NO SIDEWALKS,DRAINAGE OR CURBING!!! :angry-cussingwhite: They start milling the road. They start where they paved in 2010! Tear all that up. They mill the shoulders in front of my house and patch the shoulders??? Finally they mill the road here and tear all that patched shoulders up!!! Now it's Oct. Still waiting for the paving to start. Most of the road is smoother with the milling then it was before! :)

341171166_road002.JPG.9ba7646a37149c1b03312ba0ae96fa84.JPG

689763830_road004.JPG.5c2aad51d2cdfd878bc6e4c2e5321d15.JPG

Edited by squonk
  • Sad 6

WHX??

As long as we're on the topic they got my road past your house done yet Dan? Talk about making a career out of a job!

Any chance they hinting for you to move Squonk?? :ychain:

Edited by WHX24
  • Haha 3

lynnmor

Your roads appear a bit better than the ones in Chanceford Township. news

Q2xydizl.jpg

Edited by lynnmor
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

Ed Kennell

Hey Lynn, we could fix that "pothole with a couple bags of QPR.

QPR 50-lb Asphalt Patch

• Haha 3

JoeM

or.......they tar and chip over the potholes, and three weeks before they tar and chip.......paint lines on the road! :confusion-shrug:

Ed Kennell

A little history on my Brownton Road.   This is a 2 mile long road that connects state route 74 and Felton road.    

2015   tar and chip

2016   paved with 2" asphalt

2017  14- 3' wide cuts from berm to berm to replace the 14 galvanized culverts with plastic

2018  paved with 4" of asphalt

2019  tar and chip

2020  install a sewer or water main down the center of the road     This is my prediction based on PENNDOT's  previous lack of planning.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5