Burnerman

Massey Ferguson Executive 8 info

Burnerman

Does anyone have any info on these tractors?

WHNJ701

I don't own one, I know of a few, they were an evolution of the porter cable tractor, the same basic design was used by massey, dura corp, moto mower, lawnmaster in the 60's with most parts interchangeable 

• Thanks 1

Achto
2 hours ago, Burnerman said:

Does anyone have any info on these tractors?

David Brown @new2horses is very knowledgeable on the Massey Executive's. I believe that he has a couple of them, if memory serves me correct.

• Thanks 2

new2horses

As it happens I have 4. Our fellow member is correct about the history, Most, including me believe there were about 3,000 built from '64-'66 with the most being built in '66. Often the battery cover is absent and the choke and throttle controls have issues. All were powered by a Kohler 181 and most had the standard tire and wheel option, depending on how the dealer ordered it. 4.00X8 front tires and 6X12 rears being standard and 16-6.50X8 fronts and 23-8.50X12 optional. Seat options were also available ranging from a pan seat to a high back model, I believe the optional seat changed depending on the year the tractor was produced, but have nothing to back that up. They were painted Massey Ferguson industrial yellow.

I make reproduction battery covers and have correct choke and throttle cables available as replacements. 

• Thanks 3

Burnerman

My son says it’s all there including the battery cover and mower deck. 

He pulled the engine for a replacement for his C85. He feels bad about doing that now since we found out how rare & old the tractor is. Hopefully I’ll be posting pics of it after work today. 😁

• Like 3

Burnerman
4 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Thanks Garry! I just signed up and  downloaded those files a lil bit ago. I can’t wait to meet this tractor. lol. 

Burnerman

He says it’s the same as this one only not in such pristine condition. Lol0B11E073-6F8B-437A-A5D7-177B6095F7AC.jpeg.11a092903d08271196f71979d7f48bce.jpeg

• Like 1

Achto
11 minutes ago, Burnerman said:

He feels bad about doing that now since we found out how rare & old the tractor is

The most rare Massey that I know of in the states is a Massey Ferguson Elf. It was built by Gutbrod and never exported to the states. To my knowledge there is only one on North American soil & that one is in Canada.

elf.png.69f54411ad8210e3611cc58d92cc89eb.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Burnerman

25689FC5-34B5-4DB7-B441-7ABBBA65966B.jpeg

3269741E-FB4E-4930-92D5-D343587C88E8.jpeg

60E49657-713B-4AFD-A465-B418FFDACAE1.jpeg

667F9CB3-EFB5-42A0-B3E1-6B1C524D806C.jpeg

EC5312D9-13D6-4D0E-95D9-424FC366D913.jpeg

• Excellent 1

Burnerman

I’m going to be freeing up rusted stuff for weeks!:dance:

Burnerman

Don’t have the OEM rear rims and tires. These are WH rears I had laying around. Are they special rims and are they worth looking for? It’s all there otherwise. 

Implement raise lower arm is busted and all the pivots seized so I don’t think I can get the deck off. Brake and clutch pedals are seized.  

I love the seat and for some reason I feel I met one of these tractors when I was very little. 🧐

Burnerman

It’s got hubcaps. And a cigar lighter. Love it!image.jpg.6070438eeda75c194228372b8f75f8da.jpg

• Excellent 2

WHNJ701

that's a steal right there.  the rims would just be a 6-12.  it's got the belt guard too which usually missing.  this machine should clean up/buff up real nice.  I would keep it as an original as possible and put that kohler back in it

the seat is an amazing condition 

Edited by jabelman
  • Excellent 1

Burnerman
15 minutes ago, jabelman said:

the seat is an amazing condition

Kinda. Lol. The plywood is starting to dry rot and the vinyl has shrunk. 

I got most of the stuff freed up. It’s in pretty amazing condition for its age. The Kohler is going back in. It runs very well and my son was running it in his WH tonight. 

Both of the tractors were picked up at the same scrapyard. 

Iv got to make a new brake band so it’ll stop and go through it yet. We managed to get the deck off. That has to weigh 100#’s. 

I plan on washing it up and keeping it as is. The X mark (to signify the crusher) on the hood and all. 

F3CFC7EB-E20F-4947-B0D4-D280E6B41556.jpeg

• Like 2

new2horses

It is indeed a very nice original Executive. I am jealous, you're going to do right by it, and are to be commended.

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHNJ701
15 minutes ago, new2horses said:

It is indeed a very nice original Executive. I am jealous, you're going to do right by it, and are to be commended.

David

dave - is that the correct steering wheel?  i see its got the early foot pedals, should it have the cast aluminum wheel?  I think the mf changed steering wheel types for each year if I remember correctly 

Burnerman
22 hours ago, jabelman said:

dave - is that the correct steering wheel?  i see its got the early foot pedals, should it have the cast aluminum wheel?  I think the mf changed steering wheel types for each year if I remember correctly 

The wheel is white plastic. It’s got black on it that comes off easy. The tractor looks to be in all original condition. Nothing looks messed with or replaced. B0323698-FE3C-46FC-999F-5E1F7055CC8F.jpeg.1a1282970bec9f64e6dea7f2ae3e319b.jpegI’d love to know it’s true age. 

WHNJ701
2 minutes ago, Burnerman said:

I’d love to know it’s true age. 

my guess is 65, the first ones still had the aluminum steering wheel, the later ones changed the foot pedals shape. it was a short run 64 to 66

• Thanks 1

new2horses
1 hour ago, jabelman said:

my guess is 65, the first ones still had the aluminum steering wheel, the later ones changed the foot pedals shape. it was a short run 64 to 66

'65 it is indeed. And yes it was a short run, being '64-'66. The first 500 or so were 7E's and had the aluminum steering wheel in '65 they had the white wheel that yours has and the '66's had a black wheel that was produced by Sheller. 

A very interesting note on these was the system used to start the tractor, all had a neutral safety switch mounted under the shift lever for starting, pretty clever way to enforce safety in the middle '60's I think. Supposing this switch needs replaced, new ones are still readily available, on the web or at your local MF dealer.

• Excellent 2

Burnerman

It all works. It’s pretty cool. 2047B8EB-9EC7-47AB-976B-6399D73C068C.jpeg.c075843f4ce1236d38c925cbde4c136a.jpeg

• Like 1

Burnerman

D7B7BDDB-DFBC-4527-9FBC-EC5DC294580D.jpeg.9e847a17aba0b89ec7dd2d6bd7724d65.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Mick

I have some miscellaneous parts for a massey executive 8E.  one of which are the rear wheels

• Like 1

oliver2-44

@Mick I sent you a PM about parts. 

beardedyeti85

Hello all,

I just inherited a Massey Ferguson Executive 8 from my grandfather and am looking to restore it to it's former glory day, I am looking for places to buy parts, and possibly a part and service manual. Any info helps.

• Like 1