bc.gold

Bolinders Grinder

bc.gold

Now that the ground has dried up was able to retrieve this General Electric repulsion induction motor.

r1.png

r2.png

• Like 1

bc.gold

Another repulsion induction motor, this Fridgidair most likely came from an old belt driven refrigeration compressor using sulphur dioxide a very toxic gas.

The fridge would have been made from wood lined with tin inside.

fridge1.jpg

fridge2.jpg

fridge3.jpg

air3.png

• Like 1

bc.gold

It's obviously a small spirit level, used for what though.

key1.jpg

20200515-220046.jpg

patent.png

Edited by bcgold

formariz
19 minutes ago, bcgold said:

key1.jpg

20200515-220046.jpg

patent.png

Its a machinists level.

Mickwhitt

We have them over here with a pocket clip on as a handy level for odd jobs. Not long enough to be accurate but ok for levelling kitchen cupboards etc. 

Not seen them as a machinists level but I guess they would be ok for ball park levelling.

My model engineer forum regularly argues about the need for accurate leveling of lathes. 'Must be dead level, never turn accurately if its not" etc 

Then I always think about lathes on board ships,  how in heavens name can they ever be level, and they make new bits for the boat lol.

Mick 

formariz
7 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

We have them over here with a pocket clip on as a handy level for odd jobs. Not long enough to be accurate but ok for levelling kitchen cupboards etc. 

Not seen them as a machinists level but I guess they would be ok for ball park levelling.

My model engineer forum regularly argues about the need for accurate leveling of lathes. 'Must be dead level, never turn accurately if its not" etc 

Then I always think about lathes on board ships,  how in heavens name can they ever be level, and they make new bits for the boat lol.

Mick 

12 hours ago, bcgold said:

In the late 1800's Stanley made literally hundreds of different levels of all types. It was an extremely prolific period for all kinds of inventions for all kinds of situations and uses. That level is Stanley's No.31. They were also available in brass and some had retractable vial protectors. They fall into the category of pocket levels of which there are dozens of different types. Today everyone refers to that model as a machinists level although Stanley does have specific machinists levels which are fastened to various length precisely machined bases. There are also straight edge levels,line levels etc.

Personally even tough everyone refers to this one as a machinists level I am not convinced. It looks to me more like a surveyors instrument level that could be removed and reinserted "snapping" in to concave spring loaded receptacles matching the levels ends. Stanley did not just manufacture things in a certain way for the heck of it. There has to be a function for those ends.Unfortunately information about these things is not easy to come by. It would be great to find a catalogue of all their levels from that time period. There are some reprints out there but I haven't been able to get my hands on one.

@Mickwhitt Perhaps the same source you used to find out about my mitre clamp would know ?

bc.gold

On closer inspection this pocket level has been modified, looks like the previous owner may have been a gunsmith.

The head stamp on the centre fire cartridge seems to have some interesting history.

The .32 S&W cartridge (also known as the .32 S&W Short) was introduced in 1878 for Smith & Wesson pocket revolvers. It was originally designed as a black powder cartridge. The .32 S&W was offered to the public as a light defense cartridge for "card table" distances

The cartridge has been fired, wonder if someone had an extra ace up his sleeve.

Perhaps one of you gun buffs could identify the brand of firearm used to fire this cartridge by the odd firing pin strike.

The 32 calibre is classified as a pocket pistol, how the heck did a spent cartridge from a pocket pistol end up being inserted into a pocket level. What is the full story behind this.

smith.png

pin.png

Edited by bcgold

formariz
1 hour ago, bcgold said:

On closer inspection this pocket level has been modified, looks like the previous owner may have been a gunsmith.

What modifications does it have?

Mickwhitt

The vial is held in place with a cement like adhesive , I'd bet it's been broken, the old cement drilled out and a new vial fitted, the end bung would have been drilled out too so the old cartridge base just fitted the hole I guess.

I use old cases for all sorts of little jobs 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
3 hours ago, bcgold said:

The head stamp on the centre fire cartridge seems to have some interesting history.

The .32 S&W cartridge (also known as the .32 S&W Short) was introduced in 1878 for Smith & Wesson pocket revolvers. It was originally designed as a black powder cartridge. The .32 S&W was offered to the public as a light defense cartridge for "card table" distances

The cartridge has been fired, wonder if someone had an extra ace up his sleeve.

Perhaps one of you gun buffs could identify the brand of firearm used to fire this cartridge by the odd firing pin strike.

The 32 calibre is classified as a pocket pistol, how the heck did a spent cartridge from a pocket pistol end up being inserted into a pocket level. What is the full story behind this.

smith.png

I suspect that primer was hit more than one time, possible with a damaged firing pin.

Here is my antique five shot revolver  pocket pistol.  The American Double Action  made by H and R  and chambered for the Smith and Wesson .32 short with the rimmed case.

102_1668.JPG.4e1aebebcea1dbff632b2e948cfa1e06.JPG

And here is my modern pocket  pistol , a KEL-TEC chambered for the 32 S & W Auto  with the rimless case.

102_1669.JPG.076545ed62096f14a133b4e5872588ae.JPG

• Excellent 1

bc.gold
6 hours ago, formariz said:

In the late 1800's Stanley made literally hundreds of different levels of all types. It was an extremely prolific period for all kinds of inventions for all kinds of situations and uses. That level is Stanley's No.31. They were also available in brass and some had retractable vial protectors. They fall into the category of pocket levels of which there are dozens of different types. Today everyone refers to that model as a machinists level although Stanley does have specific machinists levels which are fastened to various length precisely machined bases. There are also straight edge levels,line levels etc.

Personally even tough everyone refers to this one as a machinists level I am not convinced. It looks to me more like a surveyors instrument level that could be removed and reinserted "snapping" in to concave spring loaded receptacles matching the levels ends. Stanley did not just manufacture things in a certain way for the heck of it. There has to be a function for those ends.Unfortunately information about these things is not easy to come by. It would be great to find a catalogue of all their levels from that time period. There are some reprints out there but I haven't been able to get my hands on one.

@Mickwhitt Perhaps the same source you used to find out about my mitre clamp would know ?

If the patent includes the registration number, I use google patents to learn more. https://patents.google.com/

patents.png

Edited by bcgold

formariz
2 minutes ago, bcgold said:

If the patent includes the registration number, I use google patents to learn more. https://patents.google.com/

patents.png

I don’t think I have seen the patent # on those.

bc.gold
16 minutes ago, formariz said:

I don’t think I have seen the patent # on those.

Here's a list of early patents for the Stanley Rule & Level Co drawing included.

A few years ago made a ball winder to make centre pull yarn balls, from earlier patents filed was able to glean enough information to make the winder. Shortly after others started popping up.

ball.png

Edited by bcgold

bc.gold

Old Hoover electric motor, not repulsion induction. Previous owner wired an inline fuse made by Fusetron it's a slow blow fuse..

hover1.jpg

hover2.jpg

fuse.png

Edited by bcgold

formariz
50 minutes ago, bcgold said:

patents.png

I am aware f this. Its just that Stanley has literally thousands of patents on levels in that era. One needs a lot of time to go and open each one. Unfortunately like other manafactures they did not often put the patent number on the tool.

formariz
1 hour ago, bcgold said:

Old Hoover electric motor, not repulsion induction. Previous owner wired an inline fuse made by Fusetron it's a slow blow fuse..

hover1.jpg

hover2.jpg

fuse.png

Not the same shape or size but I use high end vintage tube stereo equipment that uses that type of fuse.

51863025-07C9-420C-86BD-815D3C7C8B06.jpeg.305b89eccf42c0d5739dd7db2424e32b.jpeg

Edited by formariz

bc.gold
30 minutes ago, formariz said:

Not the same shape or size but I use high end vintage tube stereo equipment that uses that type of fuse.

I've sold a fair bit of vintage stereo equipment, the best one was a pair of Quad II's.

Another good score, one day I took a small load of scrap to a local yard and they wanted to give me an I.O.U. anyhow while i was unloading had noticed what appeared to be the front end of a large Boeing.  Turned out it was some sort of flight simulator, the nose had hundreds of vacuum tubes.

Traded the I.O.U. for the vacuum tubes then spent the rest of the afternoon pulling tubes, ended up with five 20 litre pails full, I don't remember the tube's numbers, most had gold pins, some  were of German manufacture.

When we first moved to this backwards province, used to come across a lot of old and weird stuff from some of the old small town theatres, carbon arc and stereo equipment long forgotten collecting dust in some storage room - ya never know until ya ask.

Old Movie posters are worth their weight in gold.

bc.gold
4 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I suspect that primer was hit more than one time, possible with a damaged firing pin.

It' called primer drag.