bc.gold

Bolinders Grinder

bc.gold

Anyone know this type of grinder and its intended use.

terry.jpg

Racinbob

That's a meat grinder. There should be a crank handle on it. My wife's got a complete one and does use it for like bologna, ham or whatever spread. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Racinbob

DSCN0893.JPG.2c0b6e8b61fa1ef726e090c4c3438f15.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

dcrage

Yes. Left over roast or chicken would get ground with pickles and mayo and whatever to make sandwich spread when I was a kid.  

• Like 3

RandyLittrell

I have my grandma's as well as a newer stainless steel one I found at a yard sale cheap. We always made bologna salad with it as a kid. We always took some camping.

It will grind anything you put in it though! Different plates for different sizes that come out. 

Randy

Edited by RandyLittrell

The Tuul Crib
2 hours ago, Racinbob said:

That's a meat grinder. There should be a crank handle on it. My wife's got a complete one and does use it for like bologna, ham or whatever spread. :) 

:text-yeahthat:

Stormin

Over here we call them a food mincer. My parents used to put all the scraps plus hen corn through one then fed it to the hens.

Edited by Stormin

Ed Kennell

Soft Food grinder missing the auger, handle, and end nut.         With those large openings, it would not be able to grind raw meat. 

Most meat grinders have cutting plates with several different size holes.

My deer grinder.

102_0517.JPG.350419ed3d17f8c47405b2356fd68817.JPG102_0513.JPG.b7ed6b4bb4b5a8b240242a01bf6492c7.JPG

102_0514.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Marv

I have two of them. We use them for all the above plus grinding things like celery, green peppers etc.

Marv

• Like 1

roadapples

Just watch em fingers.....

prondzy

I have one thats used specifically for poppy seeds

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Hey Ed, yours has got to be older then OHSA.  :eusa-think:  :occasion-xmas:

• Haha 1

bc.gold
12 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Hey Ed, yours has got to be older then OHSA.  :eusa-think:  :occasion-xmas:

I think  It's the pulley from an old treadle sewing machine that makes the  grinder appear older than it is.

Ed is that a repulsion induction motor your using.

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

I think you are correct...looks like my Mom's old Singer belt wheel.  :orcs-cheers:

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, bcgold said:

I think  It's the pulley from an old treadle sewing machine that makes the  grinder appear older than it is.

Ed is that a repulsion induction motor your using.

Yep, sewing machine pulley it is.     But I didn't steal it from Grandma's machine.

102_0519.JPG.9fbdb4d08b67c40e2ba4fac662d93f3b.JPG

I did have to make a Double D adapter to match the grinder.

102_0521.JPG.18bf1bbad584b1c7129ab721b9254a74.JPG

The motor,  I'm no electrical engineer.    I can tell you it is one heavy 1/4 HP motor weighing in at 40 lb.

102_0526.JPG.5db8b438355ba725c692b42ed93af51a.JPG

I just noticed the (7-31-22) under the 4261.   Is that a mfg   or patent date?

• Haha 1

bc.gold

Electric motors that are marked AC/DC are classified as universal motors, if your AC motor has brushes on a commutator they only make contact during start then retract away from the commutator when at operating speed.

Repulsion Induction motors have a tremendous amount of start up torque, these motors are generally much larger than what were accustomed to seeing.

The Repulsion Induction motor does not use capacitors, also sought after by collectors.

Lee1977

I may have one of those motors. It's a huge 1/4 HP on an old 30 gal. Champion Compressor. It came from at an old  country Esso service station. that had one 10 gallon glass hand pump.and one hand crank kerosine pump. We didn't get electric lines until 1940. My guess is that the compressor was old when Installed at the service station. I rebuilt the little compressor in the 60"s it would still be working but the tank rusted out. 

• Like 1

Marv
On 9/13/2019 at 1:30 PM, stevasaurus said:

old Singer

Steve, 

I have one of those too. Grew up with my mama sewing with one. We didn't have electricity either. The one I have belonged to my mother in-law. 

We had a mule and cart for transportation when I was a young boy. Nostalgia I guess.

Marv

formariz
On 9/13/2019 at 1:56 PM, Ed Kennell said:

I just noticed the (7-31-22) under the 4261.   Is that a mfg   or patent date?

I believe that is a manufacture date since Westinghouse type AR motors started in the 1920s.

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

I guess I'll keep using it for three more years.   Then retire it on it's 100th birthday.    :unsure:

formariz
1 minute ago, Ed Kennell said:

I guess I'll keep using it for three more years.   Then retire it on it's 100th birthday.    :unsure:

You will honor it by keeping in use way past that. It will outlive all of us bar anything catastrophic happening to it. That motor is the actual definition of the phase" they don't make them like that anymore".

That one actually has all the patent dates associated within on the tag. I cant read the ones on the right but if I am correct they should not go past 1922. They usually stopped posting  patent dates 11 years after patent was granted. That would make that one one of the early examples of that type.

Ed Kennell

OK,  as long as I can, I'll keep grinding venison burger with it.

The patent numbers are:

12-10-12

08-17-15

11-02-15

05-22-17

04-30-18

11-12-18

04-15-19

12-31-19

08-30-21

12-13-21

formariz

That confirms it. By the way, your motor is a Repulsion-Induction motor.That is what ARS means. It has lots of starting torque and low starting current. It is a much sought after motor by collectors.

Edited by formariz
  • Thanks 1

bc.gold
On 9/16/2019 at 9:33 AM, formariz said:

That confirms it. By the way, your motor is a Repulsion-Induction motor.That is what ARS means. It has lots of starting torque and low starting current. It is a much sought after motor by collectors.

One of my farm neighbors gave me a large repulsion induction motor, will have to wait until the field dries up before we can get to the sheds. I'm hoping for a 5 horse power to use on my Quincey compressor.

Until i can post pictures, enjoy this video - wished it were mine.

Edited by bcgold
  • Heart 1

formariz
2 hours ago, bcgold said:

Until i can post pictures, enjoy this video - wished it were mine.

I want one too. That thing is a work of art.

• Heart 1