troutbum70

snow blower question

troutbum70

Kicking around the thought of picking up a snow blower for my 417-8, a friend that had the wheel horse dealer ship way back then that I bought my tractor from told me if memory serves him correctly that snow blowers worked much better when attached to a hydro tractor. But he does not recall why, my question would be due to the fact that the blower runs directly off the engine why would that be if he is correct?

• Like 1

ebinmaine

The only thing I can think of would be having a better ability to control speed and also a hydraulic lift.

I'm curious to see what the others say.

• Like 2

troutbum70

You have brought up a good point Eric not the speed part because I think between high and low range I could find a good speed setting, but my tractor has electric lift and maybe that could not handle a heavy snow blower. I have not give that any thought, but I am not sure are they even meant to be raised and lowered like a snow blade.  Good point brought to my attention I have always used the snow blade. Maybe another horse needed to handle the snow blower. And my wife will have the question how many wheel horses does one man need, and I will say I don't think any man has reached that number.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine

The speed to some extent, can certainly be regulated on an 8 speed tractor with a snow blower but it is important to remember that when using an Implement such as that you need to stay at or very near full throttle.

As to the questioning from the significant other, most of you are well aware that I'm a very very lucky person in that regard but I still can help you.

When she asks how many do you need for blah blah blah?

You could say something creative like, Honey Bunches, I'm just trying to save you all the extra work of... Blah blah blah.

It is a commonly known Law Of Nature that there should be a bare minimum of 1 tractor for every Implement in possession.

• Haha 1

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

The only thing I can think of would be having a better ability to control speed and also a hydraulic lift.

I'm curious to see what the others say.

Eric is exactly correct.     The single stage blowers work much better when you are able to vary the ground speed to  keep the blower housing full of snow.  The single stage blowers need the housing full to push the snow out the chute.  If the housing does not have enough snow to clear the chute, the wet snow will freeze and clog the chute.   On the dual stage blowers, this is not a problem.

The hydraulic transmission and lift is really needed if you are clearing many short driveways where you are constantly changing forward/reverse and lifting the blower or plow.

For long runs, it is not as necessary.

The blower weight can be countered with lift assist springs so your electric lift would work although it would not lift and lower as fast as a hydro lift.

I am sold on hydros for plowing or blowing snow.  I also add forward/reverse  foot control to all my hydros so I have two free hands, one to steer and one to operate the lift.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Racinbob

I agree with the advantages of a hydro in many situations but don't let that stop you from getting a blower for your 8 speed. I use a blade on my 05 8 speed and the blower goes on my 76 8 speed. With the gear selection you'll easily find one that fits the given snowfall. Definitely use the lift assist spring. For many years I cleared a 900' drive and never installed the spring. The stress did crack the steering tower at the base of the lift arm. I fixed that and now that I have the 76 back I put the spring on. What a difference. It only took a few decades for me to wise up. :wacko:

• Like 1

troutbum70

Tnx guys  I am not familiar with lift assist springs so will need to keep that in mind if going through with possible addition of a snow blower. Or the addition of another horse equipped with a blower having proper hard ware. 

Ed Kennell

Back in the day when I had a blower on a manual lift tractor,  I had 3 lift assist springs that I made from an old garage door spring.  The spring tension could be adjusted so the blower would actually float and could be lifted or lowered to scrape with very little force on the lift lever.

BTW, due to lack of snow for the past several years, I replaced the blower on my 520 with a 48" blade.

Warning, this will definately trigger global freezing.    Be prepared for major blizzards in SC Pa this year.

• Haha 1

Racinbob

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/snow-blower.html#!/4629-Spring-for-Tiller-and-Snowthrower/p/84954560/category=23671364

This spring. :)

Blackhood Bill
3 hours ago, troutbum63 said:

You have brought up a good point Eric not the speed part because I think between high and low range I could find a good speed setting, but my tractor has electric lift and maybe that could not handle a heavy snow blower. I have not give that any thought, but I am not sure are they even meant to be raised and lowered like a snow blade.  Good point brought to my attention I have always used the snow blade. Maybe another horse needed to handle the snow blower. And my wife will have the question how many wheel horses does one man need, and I will say I don't think any man has reached that number.

The answer to that “ how many tractors does one man need” is just one more!!!!!,:music-deathmetal:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Matt Young
1 hour ago, Blackhood Bill said:

The answer to that “ how many tractors does one man need” is just one more!!!!!,:music-deathmetal:

So far in 3 weeks time i have acquired 4 horses :eusa-whistle: 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, Matt Young said:

So far in 3 weeks time i have acquired 4 horses :eusa-whistle: 

You're doing okay but why so slow?

:ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AHS

Ya, the only one I use for snow blowing is my 312-8.  I would love to have the horsepower of my 73 14hp hydro tranny... but that thing does not make it out in the snow.. if it was an 8 speed..then it would ha the snowblower on it!!👍 just like @ebinmaine said 1 tractor for every implement!!👍😄

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
23 minutes ago, AHS said:

Ya, the only one I use for snow blowing is my 312-8.  I would love to have the horsepower of my 73 14hp hydro tranny... but that thing does not make it out in the snow.. if it was an 8 speed..then it would ha the snowblower on it!!👍 just like @ebinmaine said 1 tractor for every implement!!👍😄

Jump in the truck. Come on down to my house. Bring a few bucks. You'll leave with most of an 8-speed c-series.

Mind you, you'll have to put it together but that's what restorations are all about.

:D

• Like 1

Matt Young
On 9/9/2019 at 12:38 PM, ebinmaine said:

You're doing okay but why so slow?

:ychain:

Room and money mainly :text-lol:

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
On 9/8/2019 at 10:19 PM, troutbum63 said:

Kicking around the thought of picking up a snow blower for my 417-8, a friend that had the wheel horse dealer ship way back then that I bought my tractor from told me if memory serves him correctly that snow blowers worked much better when attached to a hydro tractor. But he does not recall why, my question would be due to the fact that the blower runs directly off the engine why would that be if he is correct?

This video shows IMO why hydros rule when hitched up to a snow blower... And this is my 520H with a 2stage and a cab.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

troutbum70

That's very good I would not have expected a blower on a garden tractor to through such a snow trail. I guess I just need to buy an additional tractor with hydro and a snow blower. My 417 moves a lot of snow with the blade, but some times you have to really bull into it. If I have to much I plow with my farmall cub.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
24 minutes ago, troutbum63 said:

just need to buy an additional tractor with hydro and a snow blower

Now you're talkin!!!!

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
35 minutes ago, troutbum63 said:

If I have to much I plow with my farmall cub.

Honestly as long as it wasn't broken in some shape or form I've never met a snow yet that my 520H and singlestage thrower or 2 stage blower hasn't removed without a back up...

• Like 1

troutbum70

I have never run out of power and torque with the kohler 17 horse and 8 speed, way more power than traction. And am sure the same for the 20 horse.

• Like 1

troutbum70

Will just have to sneek it home without wife knowing hi hi.

• Haha 1

Darb1964

I use my 418-8 to snow blow,I with a single stage high shoot, it works very good. I have a 520-h never tried it, sure it would work good. The electrical lift is a little slow but seems to handle the weight, I do have a helper spring on it. I wouldn't shy away from using a 417-8, I think you will be happy with it. If you can find a 520-h with a snow blower for a good $ jump on it if you can, quickly, or risk losing out to someone like me. My bride would look good on it, we get lots of snow in a typical winter in the Berkshires, two horse's get the job done faster . Never to many horse's!!

• Excellent 1

troutbum70

I have not done a search, so where do you hook up the helper spring? I have seen a number of snow blowers for sale and several say with all hardware, but never see mentioned a helper spring. I assume you find an appropriate spring of good heft and hook it some where.

Darb1964

I use my 418-8 to snow blow,I with a single stage high shoot, it works very good. I have a 520-h never tried it, sure it would work good. The electrical lift is a little slow but seems to handle the weight, I do have a helper spring on it. I wouldn't shy away from using a 417-8, I think you will be happy with it. If you can find a 520-h with a snow blower for a good $ jump on it if you can, quickly, or risk losing out to someone like me. My bride would look good on it, we get lots of snow in a typical winter in the Berkshires, two horse's get the job done faster . Never to many horse's!!

Darb1964

I have mine on the flag and to the frame,you could put one on the blower to the frame. I think any good spring will work if it will let the blower rest on the ground stretched out. WH Wheel horse made one for that application.