ebinmaine

The "Colossus" project

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

Seems like a pretty good idea! Looks good man!

Yessir it sure was. Ya done good. 

Next time I'll measure the proposed needed length and slice off the other side with my new toy bandsaw. Another great idea from you. 👍👍👍

I'm thinking I'll use a grinder or angle chop saw to narrow down the ends a little. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Gregor
18 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Now I need to figure out how to clamp round material. If anyone has suggestions I'm all ears. 

I can't tell from the pics of your drill press, but if it's like most drill presses, mount your vice loosely, tilt your table 90 degrees so it's straight up and down with your chuck. Clamp your piece. Make take a little set up time, but it's one way to do it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

OldWorkHorse
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Next time I'll measure the proposed needed length and slice off the other side with my new toy bandsaw. Another great idea from you. 👍👍👍

I'm thinking I'll use a grinder or angle chop saw to narrow down the ends a little. 

Like taper them in? That be a cool look! Need a way to spin them on a belt sander. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Gregor said:

I can't tell from the pics of your drill press, but if it's like most drill presses, mount your vice loosely, tilt your table 90 degrees so it's straight up and down with your chuck. Clamp your piece. Make take a little set up time, but it's one way to do it.

I'll try it. 

I have 3 different vises I can use. 

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, OldWorkHorse said:

Like taper them in? That be a cool look! Need a way to spin them on a belt sander. 

Yes exactly. I'd have to do it manually somehow. 

• Like 1

OldWorkHorse
22 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Duct tape a weed Wacker and a file I think I've seen that done on the Red Green show b4 so it has to work! Find a socket that fits it and a drill addapter and all done. Might only work for the outside tho. 

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

socket that fits it and a drill addapter

Fairly sure I don't have a socket that big. 

OldWorkHorse
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Fairly sure I don't have a socket that big. 

What size is it again? I probly do lol. 

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, OldWorkHorse said:

What size is it again? I probly do lol. 

1-1/8. 

OldWorkHorse

Oh yeah i def do I'll set 1 aside and bring it by next time pop in got them tire tubes in so have more reason then just the socket. At least it's 1 option. Sure there are more lol

• Like 1

Oldskool
56 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

How bout cut the head off of 2 bolts that screw into the tie rod. Screw them into the tierod. Then place one in the drill press chuck and the other in a hole drilled into a wood block clamped in your vise. A vertical metal lathe if you will.  Use a grinder with a flap disc while the tierod is spinning in the drillpress.

• Excellent 4

ebinmaine
34 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

How bout cut the head off of 2 bolts that screw into the tie rod. Screw them into the tierod. Then place one in the drill press chuck and the other in a hole drilled into a wood block clamped in your vise. A vertical metal lathe if you will.  Use a grinder with a flap disc while the tierod is spinning in the drillpress.

Ideas like that are why we keep you around Mike. 

Simple. Effective. 

Sounds reasonable. 

• Haha 2

Oldskool

Glad to hear that @ebinmaine and all this time I thought it was for my good looks. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Oldskool said:

Glad to hear that @ebinmaine and all this time I thought it was for my good looks. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Well of course there's that too!!!!!!!

• Haha 3

ranger

If you need to clamp round bar and don’t have any “V” blocks, cut some angle iron the round bar will sit in,  position one piece with the “V” upwards weld another piece on either side with one leg of the angle sitting flat and facing outwards. Drill holes in the ‘feet’ to suit ‘U’ bolt clamps, etc. You then have an improvised “Keats” block which can securely  hold round bar, tube, for drilling/welding, etc. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Lee1977
14 hours ago, Oldskool said:

You created a monster, Eric will have designer spindles painted up in three different colors.

• Haha 6

elcamino/wheelhorse

Or use the @pullstart method , wrap your finger around the round stock and let your finger slip down a little as you tighten the vice quickly . Nice red color on the round stock and a flat finger to boot.

• Haha 5

Pullstart
9 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Or use the @pullstart method , wrap your finger around the round stock and let your finger slip down a little as you tighten the vice quickly . Nice red color on the round stock and a flat finger to boot.

Whatever it takes to get the job done!

• Haha 3

Pullstart

I say just have BBT hold it.  Odds are, she’s got a tougher grip than the vice!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

You created a monster, Eric will have designer spindles painted up in three different colors.

Oh The Paint Department has waaay more than 3 colors just on the downstairs bench. 

ranger
16 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Mark out a smaller hex on the ends of the bar, to the size of the lock nut, grind/sand/file down to the mark, keeping the surfaces flat, as you work your way around the bar, you’ll have a hex bar with ends that taper down in diameter, + hex flats to match.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, ranger said:

Mark out a smaller hex on the ends of the bar, to the size of the lock nut, grind/sand/file down to the mark, keeping the surfaces flat, as you work your way around the bar, you’ll have a hex bar with ends that taper down in diameter, + hex flats to match.

Another neat idea.  

:handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Ok first of all. 

New DeWalt bandsaw. 

IMG_20210419_192202108_HDR.jpg.5b96b172234c2a33ba0fc09ee336cf48.jpg

UTTER. BEAST. 

What an incredible piece of equipment. 

Everyone who ever reads this should tell everyone they know and 2 dozen they don't know that Eric me Bear 🐻 says this is THE BEES KNEES. 

Well the reason I got that at all is for the new found interest in heat sticking metal together. 

I tried it tonight to cut that 1-1/8" mild steel hex rod. 

Just. Butter. 

I sliced up one of the tie rods to size. Drilled and tapped it. Tried it out. 

Seems to be a usable length with good adjustment. 

IMG_20210419_192219435.jpg.446473c05cebe113b521d7c503c61740.jpg

Oh yes and a bonus pic. 

This is a young barred owl that was hanging out in the road this morning. 

I backed up past it to check welfare. It flew about 5 feet to the edge of the road so it was likely ok. 

For scale it was around 10 or 11 inches as standing. 

IMG_20210419_045645075.jpg.d4f20d89422d8b91b9d5cc15ee006154.jpg

• Excellent 7

Gregor

Someone stole your tie rod hole! :scared-eek:

How do you steal a hole?  And how do you know when you have?

Edited by Gregor
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Gregor said:

Someone stole your tie rod hole! :scared-eek:

I'm hoping I can fix that.