T-Mo

My Forever Changing Herds

T-Mo

I have been owning, collecting, swapping, trading, selling, buying, etc., lawn and garden tractors for around 20 years.  I had numerous John Deeres (too many to keep track of), several Cub Cadets, several Wheel Horses, a Ford or two, a Simplicity, and some off brand models.  (I haven't owned a Case/Ingersoll yet, nor a Kubota, and a few others noteworthy models).  I know this may shock and enrage some members here, but I still prefer John Deeres

That all being said, I have been thinking more and more about the bigger tractors, the ag related tractors.  I still have a couple of John Deeres L&G that I mow with, and a couple of Wheel Horses, a 551 and a 701, but I find myself more interested in my Farmall Cubs.  I wouldn't mind adding a F-series Farmall, a F-12, F-14, or a F-20, maybe a B or a C, and I would really like a John Deere M.

So as I think about where I'm going at this stage, I think more and more about selling the 551 and/or the 701.  But I haven't motivated myself enough to part with those yet.  If the weather turns nice on the days I'm off and there are no current plans by the rest of my family, I want to reacquaint myself with the 551 and the 701.  It's been a few months since they have been started, so I need to fire them up and drive them around the yard.

Anyone else have this problem of not staying loyal to a certain brand or a certain category of these fine machines?

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

AMC RULES

:thumbs:  The first step...

is admitting you have a "problem" Terry. 

Image result for Get a horse wheel horse of course

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, T-Mo said:

Anyone else have this problem of not staying loyal to a certain brand or a certain category of these fine machines?

I don't think I would see that as a problem.

People's tastes and needs change whether it be over the course of a day or a decade. There's nothing wrong with you purchasing or trading for whatever it is that suits your fancy at the moment.

As I've stated in other places before, Trina and I use Wheelhorse for practicality reasons.

Ruggedly built. Simple design. Maintenance and repairs on the 60s and 70s models we have is very easy considering a slight learning curve like there is in anything.

At this point in our lives we are not collecting anything.

The machines we have our purpose built and put to work.

If we were in a position to collect stuff and had more time to go to shows or enjoy them then there would be multiple brands that she or I would be very interested in having around. Some have a strength factor. Some have a cute factor. Some have both.

I don't share the same fancy for John Deere that you do except for the very early round fender garden tractors.

If I was in a collecting world I absolutely would have one of them.... And likely several other off brands and farming implements. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib

I myself have deep roots with john deere

but that would be with the older large 

ones such as the 4010 and the 4020. 

I grew up close to where they are built and 

got to see some being built as a kid. I was plowing with at 12 years old ! Its all about the old machinery and the quality that

went into building these time  capsules !

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, T-Mo said:

(I haven't owned a Case/Ingersoll yet, nor a Kubota, and a few others noteworthy models). 

That all being said, I have been thinking more and more about the bigger tractors, the ag related tractors. 

I started out on my own with a Cub Cadet 106 then wanted something with hydro/hydraulics and after checking all the brands dealerships near me I settled on my Anniversary 520H brand new in 1998 (it won't ever leave me) but as I have had as 6 WH at once (3 520s 2xi and 312- now 2 520s 315 and 312) as I get older the sub compact 4WD diesels with a loader and 3pt hitch are more my liking as have a bought used Kioti CK20 and bought new Mahindra eMax 22G for doing more things without breaking my back and not much cost than a new JD L&G x series... So with that said I concur with you and your plans.

Stormin

I'm not one for staying with a certain brand of anything. The only exception is Land Rovers. The older ones, not the computer  controlled modern ones. Only really owned Wheel Horses. My C-125, C-81 and C-121. All workers. Reliable and easy to work on. They'll do me.There's a Raider 10 basket case as well.

Mustn't forget the Sears/Roper GT16 with B&S twin.. Must admit it's a better drive. But only just.

To conclude, get want you want before it's to late. :thumbs:

• Like 2

stevasaurus

@T-Mo  Seriously, nothing wrong with you.  If I was younger, I would be collecting Panzers & Allis Chalmers with my Wheel Horses.  I suggest you keep the 701...just so you don't hate yourself in the morning.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The Tuul Crib
3 hours ago, Stormin said:

I'm not one for staying with a certain brand of anything. The only exception is Land Rovers. The older ones, not the computer  controlled modern ones. Only really owned Wheel Horses. My C-125, C-81 and C-121. All workers. Reliable and easy to work on. They'll do me.There's a Raider 10 basket case as well.

Mustn't forget the Sears/Roper GT16 with B&S twin.. Must admit it's a better drive. But only just.

To conclude, get want you want before it's to late. :thumbs:

Land rover? They made tractors too?I can't remember what I had growing up for a mower but I know it was not red!  I like to listen to a John Deere one cylinder pop off when it has been sitting in the field rusting up up in Iowa. . A s and B s

Edited by The Tool Crib

Stormin
6 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

Land rover? They made tractors too?

Google Land Rover series 1. You'll be surprised. :thumbs:

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib
1 hour ago, Stormin said:

Google Land Rover series 1. You'll be surprised. :thumbs:

Sweet !! Thanx!!

WHNJ701

i never colected a brand, i collected more of an era, i like garden tractors from 1958-1965, which i have numerous brands of now but lately as my intrests are changing i have been thinking of selling them all off.  maybe buy an old mustang again to redo.

• Heart 1

The Tuul Crib

More fun than you could shake a stick at or 

Pick up at a two cent sale !! This is way

way too much fun!!

Edited by The Tool Crib

953 nut

The more :wh: models I own the more impressed I am with the engineering that went into the early models. I have never been tempted to stray away from my beloved horses. :hide:  I did buy a pair of 1963 CC Originals because my wife wanted one but she lost interest in them so they are just taking up floor space in the barn. To me they look sturdy, but more difficult to work on.

• Like 1

pfrederi

I was out brush hogging a field today with  75 Year old Farmall M and an about 50 year old Brush Hog 600.  They do the work.  if you want a smaller tractor do not over look a Case VAC.  live hydraulics (but unfortunately not live PTO) Handles a 6' finish mower.  Way better tractor than my Brothers Ford 8N and being less popular a lot cheaper to buy.  The eagle hitch works with 3pt attachments and is there for more useful than a Farmall Cub Or A.  I know farmall c's were popular but the quick hitch  is not as good a a Eagle hitch.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

Lee1977

It's up to you what you buy or sale. I have three Wheel Horses that will not leave until after I do. I have a John Deere that not leaving either. This the backup for my Wheel Horses when the going get tough.

SAM-0375.jpg

SAM-0376.jpg

• Like 5

T-Mo
8 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

@T-Mo  Seriously, nothing wrong with you.  If I was younger, I would be collecting Panzers & Allis Chalmers with my Wheel Horses.  I suggest you keep the 701...just so you don't hate yourself in the morning.  :occasion-xmas:

I would say it was a typo, but that would be wrong....the 701 I mentioned is really a 702.  I must of had a senior moment there....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

stevasaurus

Even better...702 is one of the best.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

If I were younger and a little better off, I would have a garden tractor of every color. And........along with my VAC Case, an LA Case, 44 Massey Harris, 70 Oliver, 1066 IH and quite a few others! 

Randy

• Like 1

wh500special
On 8/25/2019 at 6:56 AM, T-Mo said:

....That all being said, I have been thinking more and more about the bigger tractors, the ag related tractors.  I still have a couple of John Deeres L&G that I mow with, and a couple of Wheel Horses, a 551 and a 701, but I find myself more interested in my Farmall Cubs.  I wouldn't mind adding a F-series Farmall, a F-12, F-14, or a F-20, maybe a B or a C, and I would really like a John Deere M....

It would be nice if more of us were as color blind as you are, Terry.

I really have a soft spot for John Deere M's.  It's certainly hilly down there where you are and they would have decent stability.  Dad bid on an MI when they moved into their current house for mowing, but another bidder wanted it more. 

If you go the Farmall route, give some consideration to how wide the F20 (Regular and F30 too) and B are.  They might not fit a normal trailer.  The BN is a nice alternative and I think the A is even better...a plus size version of your Cub.

Have fun with life's changes.

Steve

T-Mo
43 minutes ago, wh500special said:

It would be nice if more of us were as color blind as you are, Terry.

I really have a soft spot for John Deere M's.  It's certainly hilly down there where you are and they would have decent stability.  Dad bid on an MI when they moved into their current house for mowing, but another bidder wanted it more. 

If you go the Farmall route, give some consideration to how wide the F20 (Regular and F30 too) and B are.  They might not fit a normal trailer.  The BN is a nice alternative and I think the A is even better...a plus size version of your Cub.

Have fun with life's changes.

Steve

Thanks, Steve. There is a Farmall Regular, I believe in Nashville, Illinois, that's priced very good and is complete.  It is a project, but looks very doable for me to do. But, the width is too wide at the rear wheels to fit onto my trailer - I believe the seller said it was 99 inches wide.  And it probably won't fit through my garage door.  Plus, I think I would rather have a bit smaller one, hence the F-12, F-14.  A F-20, if it's a NT, might be okay, but that's pushing it I believe in my size criteria.  A Super A, or a B, or Super C might be better, but it would be great if I could find a John Deere M in my price range (almost free).

Darb1964

I'm a wheel horse man for the most part,but I like all the different brand's. They all were made for a certain market and customer. The new disposable big box and stuff I can do without. I have a Kubota L 3010 I bought new in 2000, it is a great tractor, I would stay with kubota if I was in the market for a solid working machine. The 520-h and 3010will stay with me till the end and be left to someone I love. If I was still working I would probably be a collector of many different models and makes a small machine to dig with is still on my dream list. Unless the stock market hits new highs I think that dream will never happen. I was never into the ford/ Chevy/ dodge boys fight type mentality, I have had all three at different times and plowed with them and worked them hard. Some I got new and some used. Durability seemed about the same, I liked how the dodges plowed and drove but they love fuel. GM good on fuel, Ford ok on fuel just not my favorite to drive, all gas trucks. Everyone is different and likes different thing,I think that is celebrated on this site are why I like it so much. Now red Sox/ Yankees that's a hole different game. Go Sox!!!

jebbear

Besides my Horse, I also own a John Deere 650 diesel compact utility with front bucket and 5' belly mower. I'll have to say it has been a great worker and has saved me on more than one occasion.