Stike

Could anyone identify these grinding wheels.

Stike

Got these grinding wheels from a machine shop my son worked at, the owner told him trash them or take them home, so like me he brought them home, gotta stop taking home those "I can use it for something" things. Lol. I've never seen a wheel like this before, and thought this is the place to ask, anyone have any thoughts? I have 6 of them nos, if anyone has a use for them I'll ship for the cost of shipping, my pedastill grinder is 5/8 arbor so I can't use them,  they are 2 inch wide by 1-1/2 recessed by 1/2 thick.

20190820_183037.jpg

20190820_182940.jpg

• Like 1

Stike

Forgot they are 6 inch. 6x2x1/2.

JAinVA

Might have been sold for tool a grinder mount.The ones I have used were metal with a Borazon or Carbide grinding surface.That style of wheel was also used on stationary valve grinders.Put a metal rod in the mounting hole and tap the disk lightly with a metal object.If it doesn't ring slightly, junk them. 

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 3

Ed Kennell

Just a heads up.    Make sure the max RPM is not exceeded.         Always a good idea to do a remote  start up of any newly mounted wheel ….especially one that is not being used or mounted as designed.

• Like 1

Stormin
18 hours ago, JAinVA said:

Put a metal rod in the mounting hole and tap the disk lightly with a metal object.If it doesn't ring slightly, junk them. 

:text-yeahthat:    If no ring, sling.

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Stormin said:

:text-yeahthat:    If no ring, sling.

Or... Clunk is junk..

• Like 1

Stike

Thanks for the replies, I always do a ring test on new wheels before installing them after seeing the aftermath of one coming apart at speed.