Pullstart

C’mere deer!

Ed Kennell

Four doe crossed the field at 7AM.  Then at 8:15 a doe with a trailing shooter buck fed by me at 42 yards.    I can put bolts in a saucer out to 50 yards, but the buck never stopped in a clear opening in the woods.    So no shot taken.

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

Neighbor back yard today while taking Denali for a poop hunt...

Unbelievable 12 point... beautiful rack... been treating the ladies well for last several nights - harem of 5-6 doe...

@Ed Kennell, @WHX??

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

No worky Sylvia... no wait still loading. 

Did get the junior field seeded with some rye... feed mill was out of rye... go figure farmers got it all this time of year.

Who the heck ran all those dead furrows... KEVIN?? :angry-tappingfoot:

Added some rape seed to what I could get. 

No luck Sylvia but this 🤡...

Edited by WHX??
  • Haha 2

Ed Kennell
18 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Unbelievable 12 point..

Hard to believe he tolerates the dog being that close.       Maybe he thinks he's a dogalope.

Jackalope, The Rabbit With Horns/Antlers - Are Jackalopes Real ...

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

@WHX?? here's a pic...

IMG_2612.png

IMG_2611.png

SylvanLakeWH
9 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Hard to believe he tolerates the dog being that close.       Maybe he thinks he's a dogalope

Ed, he is too tame... this is a suburban neighborhood and he shows no fear... not good. but he is nothing compared to the does... they actually play with Denali, albeit on the other side of the fence... :(

• Sad 1

Ed Kennell
24 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

No worky Sylvia... no wait still loading.

Still usin the "dial up" are ya?

• Haha 2

WHX??

Pretty much the Stone age here Ed!

WOW he is a bruiser Sylvia! 

Tell me you wouldn't fling an arrow at him Ed... well might not be considered fair chase... :mellow:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Oh, he'd be on my hit list.        Problem here is most of our town deer never survive their first intersection crossing.  The buzzards gotta eat to.

This townie must have some street smarts.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Wow, that thing lunging at the dog in the beginning, I’d be worried it would tear him open!

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
21 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Wow, that thing lunging at the dog in the beginning, I’d be worried it would tear him open!

Denali chases them off the yard routinely...  just lately they've been stopping on other side of the fence to chat... :eusa-think:

I'm not too worried...

Pullstart

About 6:15 this morning we heard a loud crwhack!  At the road.  One. More. Deer. Gone.

It was a little spike 3 point and the hide looked clean and I figured I can score some chicken food and maybe a dinner for us.  I have this salt grinder that broke, so I sprinkled some big flakes in cold water and will do a fridge brine changed daily for a few days then smoke the backstraps.  The front shoulders were in good shape, but I have a lot to do around here and it’s too warm to hang a deer.  Chicken food.  I’ll roll the hide tight into a grocery sack and freeze it for now but I’d love to try tanning it!

BDC7D4E1-03BD-4A0B-B5F5-CCFB33696F1C.jpeg

• Like 2

Pullstart

This is a very simple and easy to follow video. I’ll post it here for safe keeping and reference.

Pullstart

It’s Rylee’s birthday tomorrow.  We got her her first gun, a bolt action 5 shot 350 Legend with a stainless barrel.  It’s much nicer than anything I have!  I sighted it in close, so she can get used to it before November 15th.  I’ll have my single shot 450 Bushmaster still.  Lots of deer getting hit lately and it hasn’t begun getting very cold yet.  Hopefully there will be plenty for us to harvest!

• Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

I have the 350 American Legend. Love it.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
3 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

I have the 350 American Legend. Love it.

I’ve been thinking I should build an AR platform 350 Legend some day.  I’ll see how hers feels compared to the 450 and maybe it’ll sway me one way or another 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
24 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

I’ll see how hers feels compared to the 450 and maybe it’ll sway me one way or another 

I'd describe it as:

350 vs 450... all the knock down power you need without the acute shoulder dislocation... :twocents-twocents:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Haha 1

Pullstart
On 8/16/2023 at 8:41 AM, Pullstart said:

@Ed Kennell I know you’ve spent a good amount of your life in a tree.  I’m sure that before manufactures sweetened the pot, hunter’s safety instructors rarely advised away from a home made blind.

This spring, an electric storm destroyed my ladder into my stand.  It was vertical, anchored with railroad spikes.  Today, I propped a ladder against the tree and inspected the platform.  It’s very sturdy and supported by many 6”+ branches.  I crept onto it, holding my tree anchors, moving and bouncing along.  It’s solid.  The lightening ran right down the tree following the spikes (you can see the marks in the bark) and did not affect the platform.

I am considering building a wooden ladder at an angle anchored to the tree instead of climbing straight up the trunk.  My destination is 18’ above ground.  Thoughts on stacking 2x6x16’ PT boards to meet my length?  Maybe build a platform on the ground to raise my initial climb to within 16’?

On 8/16/2023 at 1:47 PM, Ed Kennell said:

My go to stand is a steel  inclined ladder with a small platform on top.  This is left attached to the tree year round.   I use this ladder to climb to my Buckshot climber that I install about 1 month prior to the bow season.    I have screw in steps that I use for hand holds as I step from the platform into the climber.  The climber is left on the tree during the hunting season.

I have used many wooden stands in the past and the most common problem was getting from the ladder into the stand safely.    Many required crawling under a hand rail to get into the stand.   Some commercial steel ladder stands have the same unsafe condition.

I would not have a problem using PT 2X6s to build a ladder.   The ladder side rail should extend 5' above the platform so you have good handrails as you step from the top ladder rung to the platform.        I'm sure you would, but X bracing on the back side of the 2X6s to prevent side sway would be required.    With the rungs screwed to the front and the X bracing on the backside, there should not be any problem with foot interference.     The 16' 2X6s can safely be scabbed together to get the 26' height side rails required.  I would use 4' 2X6 scabs on the outside of the side rails.

My ladder came out better than I anticipated.  I finished the platform as mentioned in the video as well.  Now there is safe entry for myself, and room for a hunting buddy (one of the kids) this season!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Ed Kennell

Looks much safer.   You'll really appreciate the upgrade in 30-40 years. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don
3 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Now there is safe entry

And also a safer, quicker exit in the event of imminent lightning!

Lightning hit a tall old fir tree at the camp a couple years ago. The sap/moisture in what we suspect was a cavity at the core went to steam instantly as the electricity ran down to the roots. The tree literally exploded into fragments with a tremendous bang followed by the sound of pieces falling over a 75’ radius. There was only a splintered 2’ stump of what had been a 70’ tree.

Got a LOT of respect for lightning. 

• Like 2

Pullstart

I was playing with Elvis Chompers last night in the barn.  I shut him down and heard this!  I was waiting for them to come rolling into the barn fighting!

The chunk of 2x4 on the mower seat propped the camera for filming the drive test in the AC video.  

• Like 1

Pullstart

I did a steady bag final shot today, looking for 2” high at 100 yards.  The theory is that it should provide a kill shot from 0-200 yards, within the ballistics range of either bullet.  My 300 grain 450 left to right windage has been bugging me.  Rightfully so, but now it’s on.  Rylee’s 170 grain 350 shot low.  I brought it up to the sweet spot.  The 1” or less of left to right variation on her gun is telling me I am in the zone, but not familiar with the gun.  Her trigger is much stiffer than mine.  Apparently I’m pulling the trigger, not squeezing it.

8 days until gun opener.  Both guns are 2” high at 100 yards.  Within 1” left to right for both is a kill.  No more shooting here.  C’mere Deer!

5EED36FE-D642-4C11-B735-4068386F8062.jpeg

• Like 2

Pullstart

There hasn’t been much to chat about on camera.  This is a new one on the property, about 100 yards from our tree.  He would be a perfect first deer for Rylee!  

5C3373DD-22ED-4C15-9359-3EE0F9583480.jpeg

• Like 1

Pullstart

Gun-deer-eve.  Getting stuff ready for the morning.  Rylee *cough cough* is feeling like a sick day :USA: in the morning.  I feel like tomorrow is my super bowl.  Did the work I put in this year pay off?  Lots of corn still standing.  Hopefully we have an eventful tomorrow!  Shooting light is 6:59am in our zone.  We’ll be walking out the door by 6 to be in our tree with plenty of time to rest our (my) nerves.

2E3999B8-32FB-431C-BA8C-08E729A200F7.jpeg

EF611D4E-CC44-4C0C-B698-5D3BDE4B2CA9.jpeg

1FFC31C0-45B5-42B8-B513-B07C0C72B5C1.jpeg

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

Ready...

image.jpeg.1891631f65f55fefd919b8ce2ff4fc68.jpeg

• Like 1